Canton Sound System Upgrade

Hi Cezar,

Can you tell how big the subwoofer is? 8inch, 10inch, less?

I'm getting the car next month and I'm curious if you can fit a 12inch sub there while keeping the spare wheel.

Surely with an extra amplifier. I have the same on the MK3 but with a custom box on the side.

4 minutes ago, Genti006 said:

Hi Cezar,

Can you tell how big the subwoofer is? 8inch, 10inch, less?

I'm getting the car next month and I'm curious if you can fit a 12inch sub there while keeping the spare wheel.

Surely with an extra amplifier. I have the same on the MK3 but with a custom box on the side.

Subwoofer is 6.5 inches. It's not really a subwoofer.

4 minutes ago, Genti006 said:

LOL, that's not indeed a sub.

Thanks man

I get what they're doing with it though. Another 6.5 woofer with a decent enclosure increases the volume at bass frequencies, it doesn't extend much below 40Hz and to be honest for most music it's hard to notice that. Few songs even have bass at those low frequencies that isn't just mushy noise.

Edited by zetzet
  • Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/08/2021 at 03:02, Genti006 said:

Hi Genti006, did you have any luck replacing the Canton Subwoofer with an aftermarket one? 

@OctaviaLEcar not here yet... The semiconductor shortage is delaying it a bit. On my mk3 though i have custom fiber glass made for the left pocket where the original canton sub was and added a 10inch jbl of 1,000w.

I'll write back when the new car arrives...

Meanwhile, the HR springs and 12mm spacers are on the way, yupeee!

• 4 weeks later...

Sooo, the car is here and it's just gorgeous! Couple of pics included.

The sound is fine with quality input (320kbs) but you have to raise a bit the volume to feel that separation of frequencies.

The Mk3.5 that I had was slightly better when you selected driver focus mode, smth the new one doesn't have.

I still have to install the jbl sub though cause the oem is just a speaker, bot really a sub. Probably adding a couple of two way speakers on the back two cause my amp is a 4way and can handle the sub and two additional speakers.

Will send updates soon...

Btw, H&R springs and 12mm eibach spacers already installed on day 1 ;)

IMG_20210921_093040__01.jpg

IMG_20210921_092814.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Genti006 said:

Sooo, the car is here and it's just gorgeous! Couple of pics included.

The sound is fine with quality input (320kbs) but you have to raise a bit the volume to feel that separation of frequencies.

The Mk3.5 that I had was slightly better when you selected driver focus mode, smth the new one doesn't have.

I still have to install the jbl sub though cause the oem is just a speaker, bot really a sub. Probably adding a couple of two way speakers on the back two cause my amp is a 4way and can handle the sub and two additional speakers.

Will send updates soon...

Btw, H&R springs and 12mm eibach spacers already installed on day 1 ;)

IMG_20210921_093040__01.jpg

IMG_20210921_092814.jpg

Car looks fantastic best of luck with it 👍 

• Thanks 1

On 16/07/2021 at 10:02, Cezar Anghel said:

hello, what do you think guys, makes sense to try to replace this ****ty speaker on the same specs? in my opinion, a better response in frequency could make a difference. or is just worthless ?

canton.thumb.jpg.b915e47399c6f832375afc85cd89848c.jpg

It's not so much the speaker but the enclosure. Don't assume anything from Hungary is "****ty".

6 hours ago, zetzet said:

Agreed. People used to modify those enclosures on Golfs by stuffing them full of filler. That might help a lot.

Yeah, maybe but i already have the sub and the amp so just need to build the box and the lines.

10 hours ago, DutchVRS said:

Work in progress😄

Will fit 3 amplifiers and replace all speakers and a 15inch sub in the spare wheel area, all driven by a dsp connected to the HU.

20210927_124517.jpg

Yeah, and that's how it's done! 👏👏👏

Great job DutchVRS very interested in the build please keep us informed on details...connections to head unit...running cable to the rear...removing door cards and other panels with pics of course..any problems areas cheers thanks 

• 2 weeks later...