Android 10 Stereo £162 AliExpress gamble! Results:

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, londonmoog said:

Is there an option to store the tyre pressure values for TPMS somewhere?

There is, I think it is vehicle settings as I had to use it a month or so ago. Not near car just now so can't check, sorry. 

I've had an issue with mine over the last couple of days where Google maps looses GPS signal after a minute of me using satnav. Anyone had this?

21 minutes ago, Lamont1980 said:

There is, I think it is vehicle settings as I had to use it a month or so ago. Not near car just now so can't check, sorry. 

I've had an issue with mine over the last couple of days where Google maps looses GPS signal after a minute of me using satnav. Anyone had this?

I have had lost of gps a couple of times whilst using Waze but it either sorts itself out in its own or I just restart Waze. Usually it is a satellite problem as far as I am concerned. 

I have this installed just to check GPS if needed

Screenshot_20220818-114630_Google Play Store.jpg

44 minutes ago, wagster said:

Go into Apps then car settings then tyres then click on TPMS to store pressures.

Thanks. I'm actually using a different ROM at the moment (Redmod). The downside is that it doesn't have the TPMS reset option as far as I can see. I'll see if I can extract the settings APK from the original ROM and try to transfer it across I suppose (unless anyone has a copy of the APK and is able to send it to me?) 

On 18/08/2022 at 11:48, wagster said:

I have had lost of gps a couple of times whilst using Waze but it either sorts itself out in its own or I just restart Waze. Usually it is a satellite problem as far as I am concerned. 

I have this installed just to check GPS if needed

Screenshot_20220818-114630_Google Play Store.jpg

Just downloaded that to check, got the following. 

The last pick us the same app on my mobile. 

20220821_111832.thumb.JPG.ab1123b14d1847b88cffcf6a0b46b292.JPG20220821_111832.thumb.JPG.ab1123b14d1847b88cffcf6a0b46b292.JPG

20220821_111846.JPG

16610772152547216955265257806245.jpg

Screenshot_20220821-111739.png

Going to take the stereo out to make sure the connection isn't working its way loose. 

To be honest I get pretty bad GPS signal on mine too. If I put the GOS antenna outside the car it shoots up. I think I have a coated windscreen or something.

Just now, Lamont1980 said:

Just back in there and took the head unit off, looks like the cables have worked themselves loose. A tighten up and it was finding satellites again. 

i was going to reply earlier but was out at the time. I was also going to suggest looking at the connection to make sure it hadn't worked loose. Glad you got it working again.

4 minutes ago, Phil-E said:

To be honest I get pretty bad GPS signal on mine too. If I put the GOS antenna outside the car it shoots up. I think I have a coated windscreen or something.

I use the factory fitted GPS so never had any problem with poor signal.

30 minutes ago, wagster said:

i was going to reply earlier but was out at the time. I was also going to suggest looking at the connection to make sure it hadn't worked loose. Glad you got it working again.

I use the factory fitted GPS so never had any problem with poor signal.

Yeah. Think I'm going to have to upgrade my roof aerial to one with GPS and run a new wire since mine didn't come with GPS from the factory.

They can also be prone to other interference from dash cams or mobile phone chargers.

On 18/08/2022 at 12:32, londonmoog said:

Thanks. I'm actually using a different ROM at the moment (Redmod). The downside is that it doesn't have the TPMS reset option as far as I can see. I'll see if I can extract the settings APK from the original ROM and try to transfer it across I suppose (unless anyone has a copy of the APK and is able to send it to me?) 

not sure if you managed to get the apk for the car settings.

You can try this one of mine that I had backed up a while ago.

Not sure if you will find it in the original ROM as the car setting app only gets downloaded and installed during the setting up of  the canbox when selecting your vehicle.

com.tw.car-DH_iaVlDQRO2qDVfU-8W-w__.apk

6 minutes ago, wagster said:

Not sure if you will find it in the original ROM as the car setting app only gets downloaded and installed during the setting up of  the canbox when selecting your vehicle.

com.tw.car-DH_iaVlDQRO2qDVfU-8W-w__.apk 1.51 MB · 1 download

Thanks I'll give it a go. Much appreciated. 

13 minutes ago, wagster said:

com.tw.car-DH_iaVlDQRO2qDVfU-8W-w__.apk 1.51 MB · 1 download

Works perfectly! Thanks. 

24 minutes ago, wagster said:

youe welcome mate, out of interest, how much did the Redmod version cost you and is it really worth it?

I paid 38USD for it, but had to pay in Bitcoin which was fun to arrange.

For me it has been totally worth it. I found the stock ROM to be buggy. With Redmod things seem to work as I would expect.

There a quite a few extra options in redmod.

Some off the top of head,  by no means exhaustive:

- Dynamic reversing trajectory lines that move with steering wheel. Reversing lines seem to be more customisable.

- Root access to ROM (haven't dared try this yet!)

-  Control app start up and sequence. Delay start up.

- Map steering wheel buttons (never worked for me on stock)

- Map steering wheel Mode button to any apps you like an in any sequence - set default music, video and radio apps among others

- screen lock with PIN (quite handy when car goes into garage for service)

- different phone dialler (more options than stock I think)

- Better FM radio thank stock I think

- Speed compensation volume control

- A few other options to do with sound that I haven't tried or worked out yet!

Might not be worth it for some but I'm happy with it.

I've just had notification of an OTA update so looks like it is being actively developed.

Hope that helps.

What launchers is everyone using. Still on the Agama and the only thing that is annoying me is that on the main screen, where you can show the clock, speed etc. When I choose navigation, nothing happens. (This was also before the GPS issue)

17 minutes ago, londonmoog said:

I paid 38USD for it, but had to pay in Bitcoin which was fun to arrange.

For me it has been totally worth it. I found the stock ROM to be buggy. With Redmod things seem to work as I would expect.

There a quite a few extra options in redmod.

Some off the top of head,  by no means exhaustive:

- Dynamic reversing trajectory lines that move with steering wheel. Reversing lines seem to be more customisable.

- Root access to ROM (haven't dared try this yet!)

-  Control app start up and sequence. Delay start up.

- Map steering wheel buttons (never worked for me on stock)

- Map steering wheel Mode button to any apps you like an in any sequence - set default music, video and radio apps among others

- screen lock with PIN (quite handy when car goes into garage for service)

- different phone dialler (more options than stock I think)

- Better FM radio thank stock I think

- Speed compensation volume control

- A few other options to do with sound that I haven't tried or worked out yet!

Might not be worth it for some but I'm happy with it.

I've just had notification of an OTA update so looks like it is being actively developed.

Hope that helps.

For me i dont think it will be worth it then as the original version i have on mine seems to work without issues.

In reverse i have the dynamic lines already and i can adjust the reversing lines to different points.

The only reason i could look at buying it for is the radio as the standard version i have is not great on signal but as i only use DAB it is not a issue i guess.

16 minutes ago, Lamont1980 said:

What launchers is everyone using. Still on the Agama and the only thing that is annoying me is that on the main screen, where you can show the clock, speed etc. When I choose navigation, nothing happens. (This was also before the GPS issue)

I have gone back to the stock launcher but need to look at reinstalling Agama.

Have you gone into the Agama setting and set the navigation default app? You should then get turn by turn arrows when you are navigating.

3 minutes ago, wagster said:

For me i dont think it will be worth it then as the original version i have on mine seems to work without issues.

In reverse i have the dynamic lines already and i can adjust the reversing lines to different points.

The only reason i could look at buying it for is the radio as the standard version i have is not great on signal but as i only use DAB it is not a issue i guess.

Yeah fair enough. I don't think it will be worth it for everyone.

2 minutes ago, wagster said:

I have gone back to the stock launcher but need to look at reinstalling Agama.

Have you gone into the Agama setting and set the navigation default app? You should then get turn by turn arrows when you are navigating.

Yeah, I've done that, will need to have a other look at it tomorrow. 

18 hours ago, Lamont1980 said:

On my side I went with carlauncher pro. Paid the fee and it is very good 

So went to the car this morning, and switched on the ignition. For about 10 minutes there were no satellites. Face panel off again and moved about the wires and satellites went to 4. 

I have a spare GPS unit as I'd bought a second stereo from Ebilaien, disconnected the old GPS unit, and and the head unit still showed that there was a connected satellites lol. Do they have built in GPS too?

Anyways, plugged in the spare box and it then showed that there was 15 satellites, so I know part of the issue is the older GPS unit that I had. 

Might have a look around to see if I can find any more powerful ones that will go into the unit.

Hello all, so I think I have finally found the solution for the horrible phone call quality.

First I unsoldered the inbuilt mic as it never shuts off.

I then got a powered noise cancelling mic that has an inbuilt battery and usb port for charging.

Tha SYNCO Lav-S6M2

https://amzn.eu/d/0mzfpg6

I hooked the usb port to the spare port behind the unit so that it will be powered permenantely.

I placed the mic in the sun visor and tried phone calls in my Garage. The voice is loud and clear as with the stock microphone. It is light years away from the cheap no powered mics. 

The noise cancelling seems to work like a charm as when I left myself a voice mail, I turned the engine on with the windows open, on the message I could hear the engin start, rev for a second then the mic blocked it out.

Tomorrow the car is going for servicing, so I will try the sound when driving but this setup seems to be as good if not better than the stock mic (at least in my garage)

I also left it on to drain the battery and confirm that it can run on usb with a flat battery.