1.6 cr reliability.

Hi everyone.. 

Im possibly going purchase a lovely looking candy white Fabia Monte Carlo, 1.6 diesel, 2012.

I love the look of the car but it seems the more I research these 1.6cr engines the more worried i become about the reliability. 

There must be alot of these engines about in various cars, can they really be that bad?

Many thanks lovely people. 

Mark. 

I’ve owned mine since new 2011 serviced every year or 15k which ever came first and it’s not standard Audi TT front brakes Octavia vrs rear brakes and a remap 130bhp ish only issue I had was no 1 injector went over a year ago the rest are fine it cost €320 and the car has over 271k on it, it did a few regens at odd times

Well that sounds positive.

So are all the 1.6 cr engines the ea189? 

Is there a way to check if a particular car has had the emissions software update? 

Thanks.. 👍 

@MarkK74 Welcome.

With the VIN you can check if the Fix is still outstanding.  So no new Engine Management applied and a Flo Device fitted to the air intake.

http://skoda-auto.com/services/recall-actions

If done it can be rolled back and a remap done.    If done someone might have already done that.   You can check the Air Intake to see if the Flo Device is still there. 

• Love it! 1

I do a 59mile journey each way for work and my car is a 2011 and only problem I had with injectors was in 2017 no 1 injector gave up others are still fine well over 271k on it

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Had my 2010 Hatchback since virtually new..... no issues, i have it serviced every 12 months, what ever the mileage, just about to have it re-mapped as it's the 75bhp version !!! So that will double the power in an instant..... should be fun.

I understand they get a bad press but i can only speak for myself and it is simply the best car i have had to date, it costs buttons to run and has caused me no serious issues.  I had been looking to change it due to ..... i don't really know why !!! So have decided to keep it for a while longer, it runs and gets me to work and on holiday, what more do i need.

If i did change it then i am now looking at a similar sized car - VW Polo GTI +

Edited by Hudson1
spelling

I own a 1.6 tdi candy white monte carlo so I'm going to put my 2 cents in.

Mine is a 105hp version and it has been nearly flawless in my year of ownership. Cheap to run and I have not yet had any trouble with the injectors. Apparently the dieselgate fixed cars are more prone to injector failures, mine has had the fix done to it and its not had any trouble. The only trouble i've had was a p0101 code over the last few days of hot weather, car drove fine. Its not come back after the weather has cooled off so who knows what its doing. I do plan on remapping mine soon and hopefully it will remove the dieselgate fix from it too. I have done a bit of fettling with mine removing the flow restrictor and such so that could be a cause, but I removed them a year ago now so it makes no sense why it would start throwing a code now.

Otherwise i've not needed to spend much on it other than doing a bit of modifications here and there. Mines sitting now at 96000 miles, bought with 89k.

I owned a 1.6TDI CR DPF 105 for 5 years. 35k miles when purchased in Sep 2015. Drove it until I traded it in at 119k miles for a Fabia III 1.2tsi 90 Colour Edition.

In that time I did a lot of mixed driving, overall... I Miss it a lot since selling... 

Overall I would say if looked after and run on good quality fuel and YOU DO THE MILES!!! It will be a good keeper. These car do NOT like pootling around on 10 mile commutes. They need a good 30+ mile motorway run at 70 to really clear the DPF on a regen so if you dont plan on doing loads of motorway miles 2-3 times a week you MIGHT end up with some issues but that's always a guessing game as some suffer worse than others. 

In my ownership I had to replace normal consumables like shocks, clutch, flywheel etc but engine wise (what you really want to know) I had to replace AC pump, DPF Pressure sensor, MAP sensor, N75 Valve, Turbo actuator, and Cat and DPF due to me clogging them driving a lot in limp mode due to the turbo actuator failing. 

Previous owner had an exhaust sensor fail before 35k, My DPF sensor failed before 50k (£250) and AC compressor was around 60k (£450) . Clutch and Flywheel went at 88k (around £800).

The Map, N75, Turbo actuator and Cat / DPF all failed when the car broke down badly at 118k. Total cost was £1500 to get back on the road. BUT don't let this put you off. I loved that car and its such a great economical engine, I had mine remapped by More-BHP to 139bhp and it was awesome. Top Tips - Drive it hard, get the revs up when pulling onto motorways, use good quality fuel and service at 10k miles or less. I did 8k per service. Dont buy if you only plan on driving around a city with little LONG motorway miles.

Also If you are looking at one make sure if its had the FIX applied to have that removed by a local tuner as its an awful fix and does more harm than good. 

JAM00425.thumb.jpg.1c6ef1a7a469b7c05366ecc26aba3f53.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Take a look at my posts.  My 1.6 has huge mileage (now 250k) with almost nothing but regular maintenance.  

Not the same for all but mine is great.  

• Like 1

Mine was not so reliable on 12 mile journeys. It seem they run well when doing big milage but not so good on anything less than 30 mile runs. And no good if you had the delaer "fix" done. had enough after 4 years and chopped in for a non dpf Fabia.

Edited by m8t
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, m8t said:

Mine was not so reliable on 12 mile journeys. It seem they run well when doing big milage but not so good on anything less than 30 mile runs. And no good if you had the delaer "fix" done. had enough after 4 years and chopped in for a non dpf Fabia.

Mines had the fix done to it and nothing fix related has gone. Yet. Is soon to be mapped so hopefully I wont have dieselgate looming over my had.

On 06/05/2021 at 22:52, DieselMonte said:

Mines had the fix done to it and nothing fix related has gone. Yet. Is soon to be mapped so hopefully I wont have dieselgate looming over my had.

The map will still use the software version VW installed with the fix. 994something whatever that version is. 

If you want that gone you need to reflash the ECU with the previous version, then map it 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just to add to my post above..... i have NOT had the fix done..... this may add to why i have had zero major issues and just the usual little things go wrong.

• Like 1

I had a Roomster with the 105hp and I had trouble with the EGR valve after five years which I had to replace and then after another three years the first injector went. After getting that replaced I traded the car in on a Karoq.

The car did mainly short runs throughout its life but I was impressed withhow long it was able to do so before the problems started. And the performance was pretty decent along with the fuel economy. These will only be better in a Fabia.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HeavyMetalRich said:

I had a Roomster with the 105hp and I had trouble with the EGR valve after five years which I had to replace and then after another three years the first injector went. After getting that replaced I traded the car in on a Karoq.

The car did mainly short runs throughout its life but I was impressed withhow long it was able to do so before the problems started. And the performance was pretty decent along with the fuel economy. These will only be better in a Fabia.

What was the mileage on the car? Just curious.

I honestly can't remember now @DieselMonte. I think it had 56k on it when I traded it in and it was eight years old.

Given an average of 7000 miles a year, the EGR valve might have been at about 35k.

• Like 1

I think my Fabia with really big miles had relatively few problems because:

- Much of the driving was on motorways

- It did not really get used for short journeys.  Most journeys were 50 miles to 300 miles in length.  

- I followed 10k miles service intervals - for most of the cars life. 
- Used my local independent garage for servicing - high quality servicing.  

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Love it! 2