Timing Belt replacement

Frenchtone

Yes here in France, indy ex VW quoting 360€ for labour etc and a Gates kit for 150€ thus about 510€ or  £440 in total,.

Just curious about the Gates kit, I have used Gates parts on my Marlin without problems  -  these have been for a Ford sierra setup

Thanks for that Graham, they seem to be about mid mid price range whatever that means quality wise!

How's life up at Corris, still rolling forward?

3 hours ago, Llanigraham said:

A member on the other Yeti site highly recommends the Gates stuff.

Most Harley Davidson drive belts are made by Gates, just looked at what mine cost, £345 and that is just for the belt with no pulleys!!!

Hi,

Our Yeti SE L 2.0L is booked in at a local main Skoda dealership for cambelt/water pump/service/MOT with collection and return in July all costing £826; the cambelt/water pump costing £600; we're happy with this. For the extra money it's not worth the risk in not replacing the water pump; better to replace it the same time as the belt for peace of mind. :thumbup:

Kind regards, Colin.

Had mine done at Brookroyd  Garage, nr Harrogate a few weeks ago as part of a 60,000 miles service (and it required new discs and pads all around too - damn it!).  Looking at the invoice, and picking out the belt change bits, it reads the 'timing belt kit' cost £90.19 plus VAT, (part n. INA530065010) and the water pump cost £115 plus VAT  (part no. 201441312).  Invoice quotes 'replaced cambelt and tensioner' £200.00 (that's £50 x4 hrs).

Well it looks like mine was a real bargain *for a ******* change!)

Extract from recent invoice:

CAMBELT KIT with water pump 116.76 1.00 116.76 116.76
LABOUR FOR FITTING THE ABOVE PARTS AS REQUIRED 47.50 2.60 47.50 123.50

plus 20% VAT of course.

Ok guys thanks for all your inputs, looks like the projected costs are about average which makes a welcome change for 'stuff' here a la frog!

• 3 months later...

Very bad I'd say, if anything went wrong the garage and parts manufacturer could just keep bouncing yourself between one and the other.

My garage here a la frog, a vw indy, agreed to fit belt, water pump etc but stated there would be no guarantee on the work, i accepted those terms and, so far have had no probs, and my mileage is now increasing after restrictions lifted here!

26 minutes ago, Highlander19 said:

Just another thought, car is 5 years old in September, and only done 28000 miles, is it too risky not to change belt and pump?

Only you can answer that, are you willing to take the chance of loosing the engine?

1 hour ago, Highlander19 said:

Hi, would it be bad etiquette to buy a timing belt kit and water pump, and ask a garage to fit it, along with a service and MOT.

Probably, but it took me about 20s to get a list of garages near you by typing "skoda mechanic Fort William" into a browser window.

Just fitted a cambelt and water pump on the 1.6tdi this week; I bought a Bosch kit from Autodoc for (from memory) £192 with a view to fitting it myself. 

A bad encounter with Pfizer has left me unable to attempt anything physical at the moment, so it was fitted by a trusted garage for £250 which included the G13+.