Superb sat-nav

I have recently downloaded the 26 GB file for my sat-nav onto an SD card. However, when I tried to run/download the data into the sat-nav it failed to find the new software. I wondered whether any other members had experienced similar problems?

Hi Ian, welcome to the forum. Have you used the GPS SD card that was supplied with the car? I'm not sure if the VAG protocol has changed since MY16, but I think you will need a specially formatted card. There is a member on this forum who has updated ones available at reasonable cost. 

I have the navigation card but that is only 12 GB. In the instruction from the Update Portal is suggests a much bigger SD card. I have used a 32 GB. Should I first insert the Skoda navigation card prior to the 26 GB card? Will that unlock the software?

Thank you for your reply.

I believe that you cannot use an ordinary SD card for the GPS data  - it may be possible to reformat an ordinary card but I have no knowlege on how to do this.

There was a member on this forum who was able to supply 32GB cards with updated maps.  

Just now, Warrior193 said:

I believe that you cannot use an ordinary SD card for the GPS data  - it may be possible to reformat an ordinary card but I have no knowlege on how to do this.

There was a member on this forum who was able to supply 32GB cards with updated maps.  

Try messaging Rustynuts.

Thank you for the update. I cannot find anything on the Skoda sat-nav information telling me that I can't use a standard SD  card. I don't suppose any member know of this person who can supply an SD card with updated maps?

I will wait with eager anticipation!

22 hours ago, ianpurdie said:

I have the navigation card but that is only 12 GB.

then you need files from Amundsen (VW's Discover Media 2)

-> https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/486988-amundsen-mib2-map-updates-2021/

and these will work only from original SD card

26GB file is for Columbus (VW's Discover Media Pro)

which can be uploaded into Columbus from any SD Card or USB flash

Thank you your reply. My Superb uses a Columbus sat-nav. I did receive an navigation SD card with the vehicle, but the information on that card is now out of date and I'm trying to establish what I need to update the sat-nav settings.

Columbus does not need a special SD card, that is the Amundsen unit that needs the Skoda protected SD card. 

Download the zip file from the Skoda portal onto your computer, requires approx 28gb free disk space.

You need a 32gb SD card....Format your (32gb) SD card (use fat32) thereby clearing its contents 

Unzip/extract the files from the downloaded zip file onto the SD card, (using windows explorer, right click on the zip file to see the options)

Place card into the SD1 slot in the glove compartment (if its a micro SD make sure you use a full size adaptor) make sure its fully in.

Turn on Columbus, press menu, settings (on 2nd page) then find the update software/map page. It can take 30-60 seconds to find the update.

If it says update not found, then press and hold the power button for ten seconds to power down Columbus completely. Then turn it back on and retry.

You don't need to turn on the ignition or engine while doing this, but if you have a battery charger, it may be a good idea to connect that as it can take up to an hour to update Columbus, depending on the speed of your SD card 

Edited by xman

I bought my car 2nd hand so it did not come with an SD card. I successfully updated my stat nav (MY2016) a while ago with a downloaded file onto a shop bought SanDisk 64Gb SD card. Apart from the long file download time from the Skoda site it worked OK. If I recall my head unit has 2 SD card slots & the update had to go in No.1? Might be wrong & others may know better. I also had to download updated radio station logo's as some of mine were missing. All OK since.

I just recently updated the maps on my Columbus using a generic SanDisk 32gb card bought from Currys.  On to updateportal.skoda-auto.com and downloaded the maps, it did take a couple of attempts for the car to accept the maps, using slot 1 but all good now. The maps are downloaded as zip files, but this shouldn't cause any issues.

• 1 month later...
On 06/04/2021 at 13:51, coppertop said:

I just recently updated the maps on my Columbus using a generic SanDisk 32gb card bought from Currys.  On to updateportal.skoda-auto.com and downloaded the maps, it did take a couple of attempts for the car to accept the maps, using slot 1 but all good now. The maps are downloaded as zip files, but this shouldn't cause any issues.

As @xmansaid, a USB stick works fine. You don't need an SD card.

The only people who will have problems is if you use a MAC as it leaves files on the card.

Edited by facet edge
  • Like 1

I will be changing my 2016 L&K for a 2019 L&K soon............is it possible to transfer my saved destinations to the new car ??

Not sure about this. If you have updated the sat-nav from the Skoda site I presume that it will only have the sat-nav map coverage and not the individual destinations. Hopefully, other members may have experienced this problem and can give better answers

11 hours ago, k.young said:

I will be changing my 2016 L&K for a 2019 L&K soon............is it possible to transfer my saved destinations to the new car ??

A quick read of my Columbus manual shows methods of importing and updating, but no mention of exporting.

My Superb is late 2010, referred to as 2011 model. I has  the Sat. Nav  by  Columbus  as part of the overall Radio, Dvd, Map  package and which decides now and again  not to function. Usually when I open the car up all sorts of  noises go on under the dash panel, and more when I switch on  but sometimes now that does not happen and the whole system won't  come to life. And even if it does, after it has been  working for some time, say maybe an hour, it goes off  and comes back  maybe 15-20 minutes later. Has anyone any idea what and why ?  Car mileage btw is 30,000.