AnnoyingPentium's 2006 Fabia 1.2 12v Ambiente-ish: I Honestly Think I've Lost the Plot...

AnnoyingPentium

52 minutes ago, DieselMonte said:

Base of the drivers on of mine was worn so I swapped em side to side.

I know there are places that will "rebuild" the foam in car seats, know someone who had it done on a landcruiser, roughly 60 euro.

The montes seat is pretty worn down on the bolster so I'll probably have it done.

I'd do that, but the driver's one is rather comfy and I'm a bit selfish. Plus, the passenger seat doesn't see quite as much use.

I'll look into getting the foam repaired. Will have to see what options over here. Thanks. :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Have a look in my project thread Ryan at the seat base refurb, regarding the removal and install of the seat base foam.

Looking at ETKA, the part number for the "sport seat" base foam (ie vRS / Sport / Bohemia) seats is 6Y0 881 375Q and there is only a single part number indicating that the foam should fit both sides so if you were to get a tidy used vRS passanger seat (worth pennies these days), you could then strip it and use the foam in your drivers seat, therefore ending up with two tidy seats??

• Thanks 1

On 24/11/2022 at 15:35, Lofty said:

Have a look in my project thread Ryan at the seat base refurb, regarding the removal and install of the seat base foam.

Looking at ETKA, the part number for the "sport seat" base foam (ie vRS / Sport / Bohemia) seats is 6Y0 881 375Q and there is only a single part number indicating that the foam should fit both sides so if you were to get a tidy used vRS passanger seat (worth pennies these days), you could then strip it and use the foam in your drivers seat, therefore ending up with two tidy seats??

Cheers Matt, you're some man. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing new to report really, just been plodding along. Now not far from 71,000 miles, which seems scary to me considering it was on 52,000 when I brought it home. Here it is, after a little fun in the snow, since I haven't really been out with it recently, mainly just staying in the village. For summer tyres, these aren't too bad, as long as you take it easy. As I said in the 'weather' thread, it's like a little mountain goat, as I drove it across this field which isn't smooth in the slightest... I'm just glad it isn't lowered. :D

20221212_131639.thumb.jpg.7fb0e6c255042338d32f3abc7d1daa39.jpg

Got some plans for this, going forward. It's a perfect car for the winter since it's light and grippy. As such, plan is to put winter tyres (or all-seasons) on it, set of halogen spotlights down beside the foglights but wired into the main beams, and treat any rust then cover it in underseal of some sort. I've got a stupid thing incoming, eventually, more on that in potentially a separate thread.

I think that's everything for now, though. :)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

This was registered 16 years ago today.

Wonder if someone treated themselves to it for Christmas 🙂

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Oh god how much fun this has been! £210ish in just over a fortnight, with another couple of bits that still need fixed.

In no real order:

• Battery was pan breid. 65 of your finest smackeroonies.

• Needed a wheel bearing. Nearly 150 quids.

Beyond that, it's been trouble free and I'm totally not at my wits end as I can hear the clunking of drop links and Christ knows what else. Coolant temperature sensor is coming in the post, will fit that and top up any anti-freeze that decides to make a bid for freedom. It has the MOT test next month too, that'll be a fun one. There's nothing 'big ticket' that I can imagine it failing for beyond emissions due to this running rich (it thinks it's running lean) issue, which I'm hoping will be sorted by this coolant temperature sensor. If that sorts it, it'll be good for another year, I hope.

Beyond all the doom and gloom, I've been ****ing about with coding stuff using one of those 'LAUNCH' devices you see the YouTubers go on about. My Grampa bought one for his Insignia and it does a cracking job with the Fabia too, having enabled the auto lock/unlock, and hopefully* the trailer indicator dash warning doowhacky.

*I say hopefully, as I haven't tested it with the trailer yet.

So, dear reader, this is where you and in turn, myself, are up to. It's chaos here as my car is shoogled to bits thanks to East Ayrshire Council's road maintenance, or lack thereof. Now, if you'll excuse me, there's a coffee and a slice of my birthday cake from a few days ago beckoning me. :D

20230106_130435.thumb.jpg.fb545e705d22e1d671af6fd8364b8e58.jpg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TMB said:

Belated Happy Birthday, Ryan! :)

Thanks, Lee! :)

As always, I was told by my best mate that I'm another year older but not any wiser, the cheeky sod that he is, but I can't disagree. :D

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Okay... so what's changed since I last done a write-up? Not too much, just had the engine management light coming on a few times for that damned P0171 code which I'm no further forward with. MOT is a week today, we will see how the fate of this car is determined, as if I won't spend a substantial amount on keeping this ungrateful little s***e going. :D

So yes, stay tuned, dear reader, or something.

20230106_142430.thumb.jpg.180f3213a860c0fdd95e8211f343da0d.jpg

And, a wonderful photo taken by the co-pilot of today's adventures...

Snapchat-1424467427.thumb.jpg.2a4d16f5daa4b3cbacadffe8f89f6f3a.jpg

• Like 3

Went and visited the same lad who gave me the seats for the car, and we swapped some Fabia bits so I can sort some of the niggles my car has got. But also fitted these snazzy vRS needles... playing the fiddle while Rome is burning. Still need to adjust the one for the temp gauge as it sits just below the halfway point, but that's due to alignment when fitting them. I quite like it though, matches the paint. :D

20230212_170308.thumb.jpg.ebacd19ab71500aaee9d4d29be75a900.jpg

Edited by AnnoyingPentium
remove photo.
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

Same with mine, which is bog stock; reads 88C all tank long once it's at temperature.

Aye I've seen them like that too. Mine did sit at 90C before, or an indicated 90 rather, but I reckon I can align the wee gauge better. Will require a bit of fettling later. MOT is the first order of business. :)

The only problem with swapping to red needles is that the two LEDs beneath each needle that illuminate them are green, but on the vRS they are red. The red needles might look a bit dull & an odd colour at night with the green LEDs on your car.

I made a right pig's ear of mine & knackered my circuit board tracks trying to change the tiny SMD LEDs and ended up going back to white needles and mounting a green LED in the cluster cowl above each needle, which, admittedly, works marvelously, much to my huge relief because without the SMDs working you can't see the needles at night if it's really dark.

SS853833.jpg

FBDIPUOIHTJ9-WYH.jpg

Edited by TMB
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TMB said:

The only problem with swapping to red needles is that the two LEDs beneath each needle that illuminate them are green, but on the vRS they are red. The red needles might look a bit dull & an odd colour at night with the green LEDs on your car.

I made a right pig's ear of mine & knackered my circuit board tracks trying to change the tiny SMD LEDs and ended up going back to white needles and mounting a green LED in the cluster cowl above each needle, which, admittedly, works marvelously, much to my huge relief because without the SMDs working you can't see the needles at night if it's really dark.

SS853833.jpg

FBDIPUOIHTJ9-WYH.jpg

Aye they look a wee bit dull but it's not too bad IMO. Ryan does the LED replacements at times, so I may ask him nicely. :biggrin:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Also, this fine automobile is now in the hands of the man from the Ministry of Transport. Eeeek. :D

Worse than going to the dentist 😁 Good luck, mate :)

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TMB said:

Worse than going to the dentist 😁 Good luck, mate :)

Oh definitely... I quite like our dentist as well! Thank you, Lee. The mates have been placing bets to see what the final bill for the Skoda will be, odds are 2/1 for £230... :D

• Haha 1

I had trouble with the temp needle alignment too. What I eventually did was to temporarliy plug the cluster in without its cover & with the temp needle loosely pushed on.  I then got the engine up to normal temp and gently aligned the needle bang on 90 and pushed it in place. Been bang on ever since.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TMB said:

I had trouble with the temp needle alignment too. What I eventually did was to temporarliy plug the cluster in without its cover & with the temp needle loosely pushed on.  I then got the engine up to normal temp and gently aligned the needle bang on 90 and pushed it in place. Been bang on ever since.

Aye that's what I'm thinking too, was trying to work it out in my head yesterday. Will give it a fettle over the coming days. :)

• Like 1

oops - looks like new spring /  exhaust needed and a bit of adjustment on the handbrake cable to take up some slack?

Not ideal but could've been much worse!

• Like 1