Sportline replacement shock absorbers

After recommendations for replacement shocks for my sportline 272 estate, ( no Dcc fitted, standard shocks) I don’t want to alter the ride height as I like the look of the car as it is but find it a bit bouncy especially when being driven enthusiastically, and was thinking of swapping the shocks but unsure as to what to go for, any thoughts would be great so thanks in advance

On 18/04/2021 at 08:30, Roberto280 said:

I have Koni Special Active fitted with standard Sportline springs, no change in ride height, but certainly rides and handles much better

Same here following recommendations on this forum, I just recently fitted my own to my car and are such an improvement.

Angelo

1 hour ago, Esseesse200 said:

I’m looking at the special actives next.. I have H&R springs already.. those ones on eBay are eeeexpensive... you can get a brand new set for 450 !!! 

I was thinking the same!

This is the last major mod I feel I need to do with the car, after the sound system is upgraded next week - the RaceChip continues to put a smile on my face. Would just like it to wallow and bottom out a little less on swoopy A Roads.

@Roberto280, would you still go for the Koni and Skoda Sportline OE springs you have? Or would you do it differently if you had to do a damper/springs upgrade again?

Ben.

7 minutes ago, Bejam said:

This is the last major mod I feel I need to do with the car, after the sound system is upgraded next week - the RaceChip continues to put a smile on my face. Would just like it to wallow and bottom out a little less on swoopy A Roads.

@Roberto280, would you still go for the Koni and Skoda Sportline OE springs you have? Or would you do it differently if you had to do a damper/springs upgrade again?

Hey Ben,

We sound very alike in our wants and needs from a car :cool:

In the 6 months I've had the 280, I've done a Revo Stage 1 on engine and DSG, Koni Special Actives and recently the stereo.

But to answer this question, going from the stock set-up to the stock springs with Koni, I would certainly do the same again.

Rides so much nicer, doesn't lower the height, so still good for the stupid speed humps and dodgy back roads.

Definitely a better drivers car.

Again, it's all subjective, but to sort the wallow and bottoming out, certainly fixed it for me. 

4 minutes ago, Roberto280 said:

Hey Ben,

In the 6 months I've had the 280, I've done a Revo Stage 1 on engine and DSG, Koni Special Actives and recently the stereo.

But to answer this question, going from the stock set-up to the stock springs with Koni, I would certainly do the same again.

Rides so much nicer, doesn't lower the height, so still good for the stupid speed humps and dodgy back roads.

Again, it's all subjective, but to sort the wallow and bottoming out, certainly fixed it for me. 

Thanks Roberto - very useful info.

Ben.

1 hour ago, Roberto280 said:

Hey Ben,

I had Koni's on my Superb with OE springs. My current car is a G20 3 Series with M Sport adaptive suspension. The 3 series in comfort mode rides very much like the Superb did on Koni's. A nice balance between comfort and firmness. I think the Koni's are a nice compromise for anyone that wants to keep the OEM look and ride height, while also improving the handling and feel.

• Like 1

I've been putting off getting these due to the durability of the konis. Had B6s on my old car but they are quite stiff. Not averse to the stiffness (umm...) but the reviews of these konis are sending me in circles.

Similar with lowering springs but I don't want my new car to be as stiff as the old one. Does a low and stiff setup lend itself better to independent rear suspension better than torsion beam?

On 17/04/2021 at 08:38, sherlocks VRS said:

After recommendations for replacement shocks for my sportline 272 estate, ( no Dcc fitted, standard shocks) I don’t want to alter the ride height as I like the look of the car as it is but find it a bit bouncy especially when being driven enthusiastically, and was thinking of swapping the shocks but unsure as to what to go for, any thoughts would be great so thanks in advance

I can recommend these koni's - fronts 8745-1388   rears 8245-1387

I wouldn't be without them. :thumbup:

• Like 2

On 27/04/2021 at 22:16, Bigeater said:

I can recommend these koni's - fronts 8745-1388   rears 8245-1387

I wouldn't be without them. :thumbup:

Did you fit them yourself... did you notice they don’t have the little lug on the bottom to locate them in the strut holder.. they seem to have a slightly different locating system.. ??? Any problems 

2 hours ago, Esseesse200 said:

Did you fit them yourself... did you notice they don’t have the little lug on the bottom to locate them in the strut holder.. they seem to have a slightly different locating system.. ??? Any problems 

I left the fitting to the professionals. And ive had no problems with the car.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Esseesse200 said:

Professionally fitted here too, no reports of any issues.

On 27/04/2021 at 21:21, MarkyG82 said:

I've been putting off getting these due to the durability of the konis. Had B6s on my old car but they are quite stiff. Not averse to the stiffness (umm...) but the reviews of these konis are sending me in circles.

Similar with lowering springs but I don't want my new car to be as stiff as the old one. Does a low and stiff setup lend itself better to independent rear suspension better than torsion beam?

Can anyone comment on my musings? Pretty sure I won't go lower (at least for a while), so could any comment on the durability of the konis Vs the bilsteins bearing in mind that the konis offer a more comfortable ride (from the various reviews I've seen).

I think if B6's were valved slightly softer it would be the best compromise. I like stuff to last.

1 minute ago, MarkyG82 said:

Can anyone comment on my musings? Pretty sure I won't go lower (at least for a while), so could any comment on the durability of the konis Vs the bilsteins bearing in mind that the konis offer a more comfortable ride (from the various reviews I've seen).

I think if B6's were valved slightly softer it would be the best compromise. I like stuff to last.

Only had the Koni's on the car for a few months, but where are you getting the concern from?

The Bilstiens I had on the Legacy needed a rebuild after about 100k miles.

But never had Koni's before

4 minutes ago, Roberto280 said:

Only had the Koni's on the car for a few months, but where are you getting the concern from?

The Bilstiens I had on the Legacy needed a rebuild after about 100k miles.

But never had Koni's before

Standard research based on internet trawling. Found some stories of shocks only lasting 30k or the paint being so thin the rust kicks in after installation scratches.

Not heard the same about bilsteins. The opposite in fact. The reputation is that they last longer than most. I'd also say that 100k is acceptable as a durable set of shocks. Especially compared to the 30k stories above.

Were you happy with them on the legacy? Could you summarise your feel if the two makes in a couple of lines?

1 minute ago, MarkyG82 said:

Were you happy with them on the legacy? Could you summarise your feel if the two makes in a couple of lines?

They were stock Subaru, so not sure if B6's.

Ride was more harsh than the Koni's now. But did what was needed of them for a sports estate.

I'm no car handling expert, but they weren't as nice as the stock set-up on the Mitsubishi VR4 I had, but then it had Evo 4 running gear

• Thanks 1

@Roberto280 thanks. That makes sense. The firm feeling is exactly my experience of them. Not necessarily a bad firm. Just a more supportive ride. 

I keep coming back to the fancy valving of the fsd/special active and all the rave reviews they get on various cars.

This topic is interesting, since the Superb is excessively soft. I have used Bilstein B6 and Eibach pro kit and in the end it was a bit rough. Now with a baby at the Superb I want something that doesn't bounce like a ball.

10 hours ago, Gabrielem said:

This topic is interesting, since the Superb is excessively soft. I have used Bilstein B6 and Eibach pro kit and in the end it was a bit rough. Now with a baby at the Superb I want something that doesn't bounce like a ball.

But was it in a DCC/adaptive system or the passive ones? There's quite a difference to the ride between the two, at least in Comfort mode.