Owners handbook - specifications

Hi, Getting to grips with the Superb, but as an older driver I have been used to handbooks giving a lot more information the Skoda handbook is woefully lacking in this respect, previously in a  section called 'Specifications' this would contain technical information regarding things like 'Fluid levels coolant in pints/ltrs' 'Engine oil  in pints/ltrs' 'gearbox oil in pints/ltrs', Wheel and tyre sizes, It would say what lamps were required and their codes, mine still has three different types of filament bulbs, plus a myriad of other sometimes useful and sometimes not so useful information, it didn't have to be a workshop manual but it was handy to know these things without scouring the web, the Skoda website is just as bad as I can't find this kind of information anywhere.

It's possible that Skoda must think that as an owner you would not understand or want to know  this kind of technical information, which if thats's the case is quite patronising.

You may one day want to do your own oil changes and would like to know the oil capacity or buy some spare bulbs for emergencies without having to take one out for the correct code, this info should be in the handbook, and please don't say look on the web or ask someone on this forum, it should be in the handbook where it always has been, at least all the cars I've had, had this info in their handbooks.

Does anyone know of a download either from Skoda or elsewhere containing such info?

Cheers Terry

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with you and I'm only 47.  This link will take you to castrol.

https://applications.castrol.com/oilselector/en_gb/c/recommendation?data=c9b5b609cd13707b76b104dc305add59

Fairly sure  all this info used to be in  the service book on my mk1. I suspect  if  you ring a dealer  they will give you all the info though. 

The Skoda recommended oil for a TSI or TDI to about 2018 is VW 504 00 / 507 00 which is 5w 30 Full Synthetic III  (Long Life.)

Then from 2018, WLTP introduction type time,  VW 508 00 / 509 00 which is 0w 20 Full Synthetic IV (Long Life)

Late reply been busy, foud an invoice from the dealer I bought the car from, plates, screenwash, oil and filter etc, they did the oil and filter change with 4.3 litres of Fuchs 5w30 XTR (high quality oil by all accounts)

I think the cars original Skoda service book has  gone west, it's got a generic one with the dealers stamp and date.

Thanks guys

Referring to roottoot's information on oil spec, I have a 2018 sportline 1.4 CZEA petrol dsg gearbox, should I use VW 508/509 or stick with VW 504/507 ?

Also is there a proper repair / maintenance manual for this car? (Similar to Haynes or better)

On 11/05/2021 at 18:37, DeeDah said:

think the cars original Skoda service book has  gone west, it's got a generic one with the dealers stamp and date.

Thanks guys

You don't get a service book from Skoda, it's online

The place was a motor supermart type, 100's of cars for sale and they did the service, basically an oil and filter change, so Skoda will have no record of the 1st  service, it's no big deal as by law they have to honour it as part of the warranty conditions, makes a big difference to some buyers when they see a stamped book.

• 2 weeks later...

Skoda don't want you to do it. I don't know what headlamp bulbs my Roomster uses. When buying an emergency pack for continental use do I buy H7 or H4 halogens? That information would be useful merely from a safety aspect. I know a sticker is on the inside of the fuel flap shows tyre pressures but it is not very clear. My handbook is written in almost pidgin English, possibly a translation from Czech but contradictory in places. Skoda, get a grip

22 minutes ago, edbostan said:

Skoda don't want you to do it. I don't know what headlamp bulbs my Roomster uses. When buying an emergency pack for continental use do I buy H7 or H4 halogens? That information would be useful merely from a safety aspect. I know a sticker is on the inside of the fuel flap shows tyre pressures but it is not very clear. My handbook is written in almost pidgin English, possibly a translation from Czech but contradictory in places. Skoda, get a grip

Ah, someone agrees with me that the owners handbook is woefully inadequate, they appear to be more interested in telling you how the radio and sat nav works or how to change the battery in the removable led torch, I'm surprised they think we are capable of checking the Oil, brake fluid and water levels.

I am very dissapointed with my first Skoda in this respect, to have to scour the web or even go to a main dealer to beg for the ispare bulb information is ludicrous.

I know that with so many different specs and variations for the cars that come out of the factory, different tyre and wheel sizes, lighting configurations, even engine oil specs, it would not take much to place something in the glove box with this type of information as the vehicle comes off the production line, after all they have a build sheet for every individual vehicle produced by a computer.

They ought to rename the owners manual to "Skoda for Dummies" because that's the kind of patronising attitude they have, probably instigated by Volkswagen.

I tried in vain to get the front indicator type from the main dealer, who would only give me the Skoda part number, when I had a phone conversation with the guy he said he didn't know the bulb type only the part number and the cost, sit down for this one, £38  for one bulb, I did eventually find that the bulb in question is a PY24W. what were Skoda thinking? it's a sodding halogen that consumes 24 watts and costs about £18 off the internet, okay half the price of Skodas dealer price, but around 3-4 times the price of  a PY21W that they fit to the rear indicators. Stupid Stupid Stupid.

When one does fail I shall buy a pair of canbus led PY24W, they fit the same, probably last 5 times as long, only consume 7 watts and cost aroud £12 for two.

Okay rant over, wife says I need to change my name by deed poll to Victor Meldrew, I don't believe it.

• Haha 1

Plenty of online bulb finders

https://www.osram.de/apps/gvlrg/en_COM

https://www.philips.co.uk/c-m-au/car-lights/car-selector-tool

Likewise plenty of oil finders online

https://fuchs-tps.lubricantadvisor.com/

https://fuchs-eu.lubricantadvisor.com/default.aspx?lang=eng&country=gb

https://applications.castrol.com/oilselector/en_gb/c/search

Just about any place that sells spares can check for bits that fit your car

Or you could simply phone your dealers parts department and ask, if they give you a part number, google will tell you what it is and probably show you a picture too

Or remove the bulb to check.

The Owners handbook is an operating manual and not a maintenance manual.

Edited by xman

Hi Xman,  if the owners handbook is "not a maintenance manual" why does it tell you how to check fluid levels and top up, or how to change some of the bulbs? are these not maintenance items?

The point I was making is that the information is limited

As for the bulb fnders go to the first one you suggest and put my car in, a 2020 Superb SE and find the front indicator, while your at it try powerbulbs.com or Halfords or eurocarparts.com, all popular listings when entering "car bulbs" in any search engine.

I did phone the dealer and get a part number but he would not divulge the bulb type, and if you put that part number in it kept taking me to any number of Skoda dealers who all want to take £38 pound off you, they might as well wear striped jerseys and a mask.

I eventually found it  because of the distinctive shape of the bulb, and verified it as the correct one because that particular bulb (PY24W) was developed by Philips and I went to their website which you list, but is not everyones first port of call, and it did confirm my car as being able to use that bulb.

Dear Victor,

The front indicator on a 2020 is an integrated LED part of the the LED headlight unit. Not changeable, unless you change the whole unit at about £1000 ea. and have access to all the right tools, workshop manual and diagnotic equipment. In fact most of the bulbs on your Superb are integrated LED and I suspect you know that, those few that are conventional incandescent are easily checked on line.

Edit: seems I'm wrong about the front indicators on a 2020 superb, sorry for the confusion. Surprised that the indicator is not a dual purpose DRL/Indicator strip like on my 2018 superb, maybe only on SEL trim. Please see @DeeDah's post below for further clarification.

Edited by xman

Hi Xman, not on my 2020 Superb SE, it has a mix of filament and led lights, the only filament bulb on the front is the indicator a PY24W not that easy to get out, 

the rear filaments are indicators, PY21W cheap, and reversing lights, P21W also cheap, and both easy to get out.

And as to edbostan and his original question H7 or H4, I think you'll find this useful, a youtube video on changing both headlight bulbs main and full beam, they both look like H7s, as they have 2 terminals,

the H4 has 3 terminals as they have dipped and main beam in the same bulb

Watchthe video and make you choice, hope this helps.

Cheers Terry or Victor or Deedah

20210522_143602.jpg

• Like 1

Don't know if my Roomster is a prototype in everlasting bulb technology but I have not had to replace any bulb in 8 years of ownership. When one goes no doubt its replacement will last one year

Wish I had that kind of luck, my wife had a Rover 75 for about 12 years and a couple of the headlight bulbs were a pig to get to, you had to have fingers that were about 6 inches long.

Sorry, I've just realised I didn't put the link for the video on the last post, here it is: