Cambelt and waterpump

I think I am due to fit new Cambelt and waterpump my car has 77,000 on the clock and is 7 years old Octavia 1.6tdi auto estate.

Anyway my question is there are so many aftermarket choices I don't know which parts to buy ? Or do I just get genuine Skoda parts ??

Thank you for reading 

5 years is the much debated recommended interval in most posts on this site. But its still debated due to conflicting information in service manuals and across the internet. Just search on here for CAMBELT and you will find loads of threads about it. 

Its not clear if you want to carry out the work yourself? However bear in mind that Skoda fixed price lists this @ £600 for cambelt and water pump. Interesting that my local main dealer say £649.  

You will find may independents VW group garages will do this for alot less but still use genuine parts. I had mine done for £430 at my local independent with genuine parts, belt tensioners, and water pump. 

Go hunting for prices locally or go to the dealer for security. Its a routine job for garages really. How many VW group 1.6T/2.0TDI's on the road, thousands... 

1 hour ago, Intercityuk said:

Oooppps mine is now nearly 7 years old I better get it done 👍

Just had mine done at 8 years & 60,0000 miles.  Old belt in very good condition.

• Like 1

That's good to know thanks 

Incidentally have you ever had a problem with your heater ?

Apparently my heater matrix has blocked up and blowing cold and there are a few posts with the same on here. Skoda should be paying for this.

Anyway got a new one with larger bore pipes. At least it's not too difficult to fit

2 hours ago, Intercityuk said:

Apparently my heater matrix has blocked up and blowing cold and there are a few posts with the same on here. Skoda should be paying for this.

Anyway got a new one with larger bore pipes. At least it's not too difficult to fit

No. Nothing exciting about the car, but its never missed a beat.

2 hours ago, Intercityuk said:

Just out of interest was that caused by the silica bag splitting in the expansion tank?

No sure cause I can't find any bag in the tank on mine it took 6 months of slowly getting worse. I tried flushing it but still no good.

Regards 

On 02/05/2021 at 12:34, Intercityuk said:

I think I am due to fit new Cambelt and waterpump my car has 77,000 on the clock and is 7 years old Octavia 1.6tdi auto estate.

Anyway my question is there are so many aftermarket choices I don't know which parts to buy ? Or do I just get genuine Skoda parts ??

Thank you for reading 

Buy the genuine parts from TPS and get a trusted garage to do it. A Skoda dealer will rip you off big time!

On 03/05/2021 at 08:50, Intercityuk said:

Oooppps mine is now nearly 7 years old I better get it done 👍

Which, could be argued, proves the 5 year change as unnecessary :ph34r:

Edited by classic
  • Like 4