Reversing camera install advice

Hi all, after giving my back bumper an annoying little scrape this morning in a tight car park I have decided its time to get a reversing camera fitted. 

I admit that I have very little knowledge on this subject and some looking online hasn't really cleared anything up. 

The first question is cost related, how much should I roughly be looking at for the complete install? I know there is coding needed after it is in there but am assuming that will be covered in the cost of the quotes. 

I found this site which also provide mobile fitting:

https://www.carcommunications.co.uk/genuine-skoda-superb-iii-3v0-reversing-rear-view-camera-kit?mfp=4-product-type[Reversing Camera]

however they have a list of compatible radios and mine is not listed on there, below is what I have in the car: 

The model number seems close but no cigar...would it still be compatible? 

Am based in the South East, near Gatwick so if anyone has any recommendations of anywhere that might be able to fit one for me it would be greatly appreciated.   

Cheers 

Car radio.jpg

I had the same camera system fitted on Friday by Auto Technology (VAG) Ltd. He did a brilliant job, well happy.

Matt is based in Birmingham but he came and fitted it at my home near Canterbury in Kent.

Rick

3 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

I’m on Anglesey, LL59 :) PM for prices.

Hi @SashaGrace unfortunately I'm in Ireland so I can't come to you to get the camera installed.

Would you be able to message me some pointers on how to install the camera myself?

Would you be then able to code it in for me?(I heard it can be done remotely).

What would I need to get in order to facilitate that.

Regards.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I'm also in Ireland and recently got a 2L L+K Estate, first registered 2 Sept 2016, and am also looking at the reverse camera retrofit...would appreciate some guidance pls.

I ordered this Highline camera with washer from AliExpress (that I found recommended on here), and have been looking at a lot of different guides, and am now doubting myself if I have the correct cable harness.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_uwGYYF

In the guides I've seen, they all seem to indicate a red wire for the power like in the screenshot attached, and perhaps I'm misunderstanding , but my cable harness doesnt have a red wire

I've ordered an OBDEleven Pro, should be arriving this week, and am also planning to activate TSR. I just determined today that my headlights arent suitable to enable the lashes ;-(

Thanks

IMG_20210620_155550.jpg

IMG_20210620_155518.jpg

IMG_20210620_155445.jpg

camera.png

34 minutes ago, clanc said:

In the guides I've seen, they all seem to indicate a red wire for the power like in the screenshot attached, and perhaps I'm misunderstanding , but my cable harness doesnt have a red wire

IMG_20210620_155445.jpg

The white wire will be power :)

• Like 1

Can i take it so that the cables are ok? If so do you have any pics of the cable placement as they go into the back of the head unit?

10 hours ago, clanc said:

Can i take it so that the cables are ok?

The cables look identical to the ones I used when I added a RVC to my MK3 Octavia here: https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/485897-how-to-reverse-camera-fitting-guide/?do=findComment&comment=5456364

If so do you have any pics of the cable placement as they go into the back of the head unit?

Only the images in the link I posted above.

There isn't much to it really, you have 6 wires you need to connect:

- white is permanent 12v, it should have it's own fuse (probably 7.5a in position 18) and the crimp maybe the correct one to slot into the fuse board

- brown is ground, it probably has a ring crimp and any ground point it fine

- the two twisted orange (and brown/purple) cables are CAN-bus and need matching to the existing colours

- the separate black wire is video, black is likely ground and white is signal, it connects to the blue socket as shown in the image you posted

The coloured sockets are removable from the quadlock and will slide out when you push the locking tab. Once they are out, the sides flip open allowing you to add or remove wires.

For the CAN-bus:

- the original CAN-bus wires will need removing from the grey socket

- they will now go to the new black connector included in the pack, it's probably loosely slotted in

- the two new wires can then slot in to the grey socket

- connect the black connector up

So it'll look sorta like this:

image.thumb.png.b71f87b54df030f6ae5332f9110caba3.png

• Thanks 1

Have a look on the Octavia 3 (2013-2020) forum, a brilliant diy fitting guide for plug and play camera.

There are several, but the one I used was posted by Weyland, and titled ‘How to - Reversing Camera fitting guide’.

Whether the camera featured fits depends on the style of boot release handle, though, and I don’t know whether the Superb has the same.  Worth exploring, though, as I did it for less than £50 including buying trim removal tools.

HTH

Edited by Baxlin
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys, I'm feeling much more positive now. I added TSR today with OBDeleven too, so making strides forward.

The new fly now in the ointment is that i realise I dont have those silver keys to release the head unit. Any suggestions where to get these pls?

Got the keys to undo the headunit today, need to no figure out how to get the glovebox compartment removed.

@langers2k On the cables, if the white is the. 12v do I need to get an adapter or something to piggyback from an 7.5v existing fuse, or how did you attach to the fuse box?

7 hours ago, clanc said:

Got the keys to undo the headunit today, need to no figure out how to get the glovebox compartment removed.

@langers2k On the cables, if the white is the. 12v do I need to get an adapter or something to piggyback from an 7.5v existing fuse, or how did you attach to the fuse box?

Doesn’t the manual cover glove box removal?  I’m pretty sure the Octavia 3 one does. (It’s a combination of brute force and jer-jiggling!)

Re choice of fuse, IMO it’s more important to choose a fuse that is live when you want it to be.

Search ‘piggy back fuse’ on eBay.  There are 2 sizes, standard blade and mini blade fuse, make sure you get the correct one.  Don’t ask how I know...

You can then use any rating fuse that is switched how you want it, ie permanent live, ignition-on live, or accessory position live.  This is because you add a fuse of the rating you require to  ‘your’ cable.

HTH

Edited by Baxlin
  • Thanks 1

Hello all,

Anyone had any luck retrofitting a reversing camera to a 2020 Superb?

Skoda say they dont have one for retrofit (factory only).

Any advice/part numbers/ links to sellers greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Gaz

On the cables, if the white is the. 12v do I need to get an adapter or something to piggyback from an 7.5v existing fuse, or how did you attach to the fuse box?

Personally, I'd pull the fusebox and plug it directly into an appropriate spare slot. You can use a piggy back adaptor but given you have the right crimp and you'll never need to remove it, it seems unnecessary.

15 minutes ago, jinxgj said:

Anyone had any luck retrofitting a reversing camera to a 2020 Superb?

Should be possible, I think @SashaGrace has fitted a few?

At a guess, you need this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32863564919.html?spm=a2g0o.store_pc_allProduct.8148356.2.24dd6cdfXitCnu

Just make sure you select the Superb option and check the handle style matches yours.

1 hour ago, langers2k said:

Personally, I'd pull the fusebox and plug it directly into an appropriate spare slot. You can use a piggy back adaptor but given you have the right crimp and you'll never need to remove it, it seems unnecessary.

So, if I understand correctly, you would remove the fuse board entirely,and plug the white cable into the rear, and give it a dedicated fuse of it's own, in a spare slot?

I will need to identify a slot with the correct level of switching...

permanent live, ignition-on live, or accessory position live..

Any thoughts on which is the best option?

1 hour ago, clanc said:

So, if I understand correctly, you would remove the fuse board entirely,and plug the white cable into the rear, and give it a dedicated fuse of it's own, in a spare slot?

I will need to identify a slot with the correct level of switching...

permanent live, ignition-on live, or accessory position live..

Any thoughts on which is the best option?

Yup, you might need to slide a purple plastic lock mechanism out the way before inserting the crimp.

It should be a permanent live. If you used a switched live you'll get fault codes complaining of a lack of comms.

The owners manual for a 2016 Superb page 212 suggests fuse 18, which happens to match what I used on my Octavia: https://ws.skoda-auto.com/OwnersManualService/Data/en/Superb_3V/05-2016/Manual/Superb/B8_Superb_OwnersManual.pdf

I think the crimp might be too big for that slot so you may need to use an alternative slot.

• Thanks 1

I’ve had no problems with using a switched live for the reversing camera, after all, it’s only going to be live when in reverse and with the engine running (or at least ignition on).

Also, pulling out the fuse box to access the rear seems to be an unnecessary move.  One reason, I understand there’s (at least on the Octavia) an airbag connection in the vicinity, so I would prefer to disturb as little as possible, and use a piggy back fuse, plugged in the front of the fuse box.   I’ve used them on several cars, for satnavs, dash cams, etc, as well as the reversing camera on my Octavia with no problems.

But as my sig below says.....

Edited by Baxlin

10 hours ago, langers2k said:

Should be possible, I think @SashaGrace has fitted a few?

At a guess, you need this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32863564919.html?spm=a2g0o.store_pc_allProduct.8148356.2.24dd6cdfXitCnu

Just make sure you select the Superb option and check the handle style matches yours.

I have done several 2020 Superb’s and a 2021, the 2021 is a bit different but the 2020 is the same as the earlier ones but easier on SE-L and above as you unbolt the tailgate trim and you can remove the camera on your lap rather from inside the bootlid. 

@SashaGrace...I am just about to get delivery of an SE Technology iV with a built week of 2021/02. 

I know it's a lease and will need to check if I am allowed but have you done any on a hybrid before?

With the microchip shortage, I had to settle for standard stock spec and had no option for factory order. 

Thanks