Maybe paranoia on my part - 1.5 TSi clutch judder?

I’ve read all about the “kangarooing” issues and tbh my car drives absolutely fine except there is a hint of clutch judder when pulling away in 1st just after the biting point.  It doesn’t happen all the time and can be totally avoided by changing to 2nd immediately, over revving or dipping the clutch. Sometimes I get a clean, nice getaway. Having had a 1.6 diesel that was still on the original clutch after 196k it’s a bit disconcerting. It’s a 2020 1.5 TSi with 12k miles. 

tbh the inconsistencies in the driving experience in these cars is driving me mad. I’ve had Octavias back to a 2004 MK1 1.9 PD and the MK3 seems to lack the workhorse quality they previously had. 

Would a dealer software update help perhaps or am I on course for a new clutch after only 12k???

Edited by gm73

@gm73Best check and see if there is a software update for your particular car, there might well be a Recall Action / Service campaign which you will not hear about unless the car is in at a Main Dealers, maybe not even then unless you are logging concerns with a Dealership.

http://skoda-auto.com/services/recall-actions

If there is one it will not necessarily show up here.

• Like 1

We call it on ours O4 1.5 TSI, kangaroo. 

Judder will occur as you release the clutch, and friction surfaces aren't really gently sliding over. We have different issue, after the clutch engages, when you press throttle it starts jumping up and down, like old carburetor cars when they choke. 

I don't know whether it is fixable, as I was reading this is resolved since 2019, but our car is brand new 2021... 

• Like 1

Do you have driving mode on your car? I had what I thought was judder a while and was thinking it was a clutch issue but then realised I had it in Sport mode. I stuck it back into Normal and it felt, well, normal again. I had just been used to Normal and the throttle response compared to Sport.

2 hours ago, Jip said:

Do you have driving mode on your car? I had what I thought was judder a while and was thinking it was a clutch issue but then realised I had it in Sport mode. I stuck it back into Normal and it felt, well, normal again. I had just been used to Normal and the throttle response compared to Sport.

Yeah it’s in normal mode. For some annoying reason the car always returns to normal when you restart it.  The old one didn’t do it. 

anyway I’ve discovered a way to stop it which is to blip the clutch slightly again after lifting it up before accelerating. It only really happens once every ten times or so when changing so I can live with it for now. 

I’m assuming it’s a “feature” of the car. 

8 hours ago, gm73 said:

Yeah it’s in normal mode. For some annoying reason the car always returns to normal when you restart it.  The old one didn’t do it. 

Firmware changes that VAG/Skoda made so that cars always revert to the state in which they were type approved - another after effect of Dieselgate.

@PetrolDave

Maybe some stuff reverts back to the OEM factory settings when Software Updates are done,

but with the Kangeroo affect that the 1.5 TSI's had they are not running the Engine Management / MAP that the cars that went through the WLTP / RDE did, because that is where the issues were.  

The cars were mapped to meet the emissions they required but could behave like crap.

There are more than one software update since 2018.  The latest cars should not have the pathetic Engine Management so poor behaviour but sadly some are reporting that they are.

There are posts where people say it was only with the manuals, well that is not correct, as there were issues with DSG's as well, just not as noticeable to some, or in some cases just not a problem.

Skoda / VW know which cars built when and where have the possible issues.

Edited by e-Roottoot
  • Like 1

@e-Roottoot

It's not the engine management that determines which profile is in use by the engine and transmission (and ACC and ...), it's the BCM - and that firmware is common to all engines and was updated post WLTP/RDE.

I agree that the kangaroo effect is specific to the 1.5TSI but I was replying to what @gm73said about the driving mode reverting to normal every time, and that's controlled by the BCM.

Edited by PetrolDave
  • Like 1

I’m beginning to think the clutch or an aspect of the clutch is gubbed. I’m going to phone the dealer on monday. The car belonged to Europcar before I bought it so God knows how it has been driven. It’s disappointing as it has only done 12k. 

• Like 1

My garage say that there is only one software update available for the mark 3 cars with the 1.5 engine. My car had that update around two years ago and has never been the same since and not in a good way, with the engine much flatter than it used to be and poorer fuel consumption too. It's a PCH car which I do have an option to buy but given issues with the engine that I have experienced I am nervous about actually owning it even though the car is in excellent condition and very low mileage.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 04/06/2021 at 15:35, nidza said:

We have different issue, after the clutch engages, when you press throttle it starts jumping up and down, like old carburetor cars when they choke. 

I don't know whether it is fixable, as I was reading this is resolved since 2019, but our car is brand new 2021... 

exactly this. I’ve been struggling to explain the problem we now have with our 2019 1.5 manual. We had ‘the’ software update to fix the kangaroo ad low revs when cold but I’m now blighted by this issue you describe above. 

I can pull the clutch up whilst accelerating away in 1st gear and the car will almost cut the revs completely resulting in a jolt whilst the engine catches back up again and I finally pull away.  Almost like it’s going to cut out/stall but it doesn’t. 

It really makes me feel like I don’t know how to drive but I’m certain it’s not me. This engine is the worst I’ve driven for years. I REALLY miss my 1.4TSI Leon…

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 05/06/2021 at 20:02, gm73 said:

I’m beginning to think the clutch or an aspect of the clutch is gubbed. I’m going to phone the dealer on monday. The car belonged to Europcar before I bought it so God knows how it has been driven. It’s disappointing as it has only done 12k. 

Hello I am having the same issue mine is also 1.5 tsi 2021. Did you resolve the problem?