Where best to buy a used Vrs Estate

Hi all, 

Having owned a yeti for a few years and then moved to another manufacturer I am coming back to Skoda but this time the Octavia Vrs Estate petrol FL 67 plate onwards. 

I did look to purchase the octavia new just after the Yeti when the Mk3 FL was just coming to end of life, my local main dealer had a brand new one in stock and offered it up at £22500. 

Now 2 years on I see used stock at dealers are similar prices, so the vrs estate does seem to be holding its value or its just dealers trying to get what they can in the current market and they do hold the lions share of stock.

I am looking at a 67-68 plate range and a budget of around £16500 depending on plate and mileage, spec, ideally want the black pack and 245 engine man / auto. 

At the moment the best I can find at dealers is £18k for an 18 plate with above average mileage, that does seem silly price for a 3 year old vehicle that has now been replaced. 

Where is the best place to buy Skodas these days, I looked at Autotrader and Motors, car guru, piston heads classified, it seems at the moment the best bet is a private sale, but where do people advertise privately these days as majority of adverts are trade and main dealer at that. 

Personally I would always buy from a garage as you get more protection should the car have issues.

It took me over 7 months to find my Octavia, as I wanted a specific spec and colour on my VRS. I found mine at Arnold Clark in Hexham so travelled 140 miles to collect it.

28 minutes ago, Ecomatt said:

Personally I would always buy from a garage as you get more protection should the car have issues.

It took me over 7 months to find my Octavia, as I wanted a specific spec and colour on my VRS. I found mine at Arnold Clark in Hexham so travelled 140 miles to collect it.

I get what your saying but I must admit over the 30 years of buying cars I have had mixed experiences of both, and can't ignore the ridiculous mark up main dealers charge over private sales, sometimes £3-£4k more, and then alot of their stock come from auction or ex fleet. When I have bought privately in the past (always 1 owner vehicles full history etc) it's good to meet the owner and get a feel for how the vehicle has been used / cared for. You don't get that at garages but as you say there is extra protection, but when buying privately alot of that risk is avoided if vehicle less than 3 years old and still under warranty. 

Edited by jonnyboy78
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, jonnyboy78 said:

I get what your saying but I must admit over the 30 years of buying cars I have had mixed experiences of both, and can't ignore the ridiculous mark up main dealers charge over private sales, sometimes £3-£4k more, and then alot of their stock come from auction or ex fleet.

Have you ever run a business? My father  sold motorcycles and cars as well as building their engines, general repairs and spraying them. Some weeks you sell several and some weeks, none. Businesses have to make a decent mark up to pay, business rates, taxes, staff costs, rental etc, warranty or service costs and deal with some very unscrupulous buyers....oh yes and make a living. Then jokers on this and other sites refer to them as stealers. Nobody wants to pay dealer prices...until there’s a warranty claim. As you say, probably best for you to buy privately,  3 year old Octavia TSI with regular oil and filter changes should be good for many fault-free miles. Good luck. 

• Like 1

On 05/06/2021 at 08:57, jonnyboy78 said:

I am looking at a 67-68 plate range and a budget of around £16500 depending on plate and mileage, spec, ideally want the black pack and 245 engine man / auto. 

At the moment the best I can find at dealers is £18k for an 18 plate with above average mileage, that does seem silly price for a 3 year old vehicle that has now been replaced. 

Problem you've got is the vRS245 in that age range is the MY18 vRS245 limited edition basically, the current challenge model without the button start (not a bad thing IMHO) 

IIRC, the list price was about 3k more than the fl230 hence, you could have problems with your budget. It's the pick of the crop though & if you're into tuning your cars, this particular car was the last WITHOUT a GPF.

TBH if I was you, I'd stretch the budget & go get what you really want otherwise, you'll never really be happy. Go look at the 1 you mentioned, do it properly with an appointment & they'll be ready for a serious buyer & importantly know what the can do discount wise however, its your call.

GLWP

• Like 2

Always worth a look on the Skoda approved website as new cars often appear there first and not all make it to AT etc. Found my car in there as a 'coming soon' so bought it before it made it to market.

It is also worth noting that used prices are high right now due to the waiting time for new cars (across all brands) caused by the chip shortage

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, weyland said:

Just had a look for you, this one is on there (no pics)

Skoda approved

Thanks fo the tip, was not aware of the lag, will keep checking over the coming days as I am running out of time and need to get a new vehicle this month, not ideal rushing In but it is what it is. 

It's a great example though of the second hand market price with the link you provided. 19 plate with 16k miles going for £22500, 20 months ago Skoda dealers were offering these new for that price after Skoda finance contributions etc, now your paying that for 2 year old models. 

I did miss out on a private sale last week for a 245 DSG in white being sold privately for £17500, so it really does show the main dealer mark up on these, I am all for them making profits and understand they have overheads but £5k or 30% more than a private sale is greed. 

Edited by jonnyboy78

Don't forget the dealer will do any required maintenance in XXX miles as well. 

I got 2 years warranty, 2 services & 2 years MOT cover FOC with mine (+ 2 new tyres & brake fluid service)

Edited by weyland

2 hours ago, weyland said:

Don't forget the dealer will do any required maintenance in XXX miles as well. 

I got 2 years warranty, 2 services & 2 years MOT cover FOC with mine (+ 2 new tyres & brake fluid service)

Depends on what dealer though and terms of sale, skoda assured etc etc....

I am having exactly the same issue. I have a budget of 20k, am looking for a FL 245 estate DSG with a few specific options such as heated seats and Alcantara upholstery

One did come up circa 150 miles away a couple of months back, but reading online reviews of the garage really put me off, I think that was a big mistake and i should have at least gone and had a look and sussed them out for myself

I would prefer a Superb 280 sportline with the same options but they seem to be as rare as the proverbial rocking horse droppings

Seems to just be a waiting game but with the ULEZ getting ever closer im starting to feel like time is running out now

Maybe consider getting an interim Mk3 vRS, not the exact spec you want, until something perfect comes up? Or get something as a real stop gap. I just sold my 2011 mk2 FL estate DSG and it is Ulez compliant! Funnily enough I must have been looking at the same cars as you as well.  One or two superb 220s came up in SEL trim but sportline rarer and 280 rarer again.

7 hours ago, Stokesy said:

I am having exactly the same issue. I have a budget of 20k, am looking for a FL 245 estate DSG with a few specific options such as heated seats and Alcantara upholstery

One did come up circa 150 miles away a couple of months back, but reading online reviews of the garage really put me off, I think that was a big mistake and i should have at least gone and had a look and sussed them out for myself

I would prefer a Superb 280 sportline with the same options but they seem to be as rare as the proverbial rocking horse droppings

Seems to just be a waiting game but with the ULEZ getting ever closer im starting to feel like time is running out now

The MY18 vRS245 Limted Edition has heated electric memory seats as STANDARD

10 hours ago, TheClient said:

Maybe consider getting an interim Mk3 vRS, not the exact spec you want, until something perfect comes up? Or get something as a real stop gap. I just sold my 2011 mk2 FL estate DSG and it is Ulez compliant! Funnily enough I must have been looking at the same cars as you as well.  One or two superb 220s came up in SEL trim but sportline rarer and 280 rarer again.

A stop gap might have to be the way forward. I still have a few months so hoping something comes up in the mean time.

8 hours ago, themanwithnoaim said:

The MY18 vRS245 Limted Edition has heated electric memory seats as STANDARD

Is the limited edition what they call the 'VRS Challenge'?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stokesy said:

When the 245 was first released, it had a few extra's compared to the a standard vRS. It seems to be known as the '245 edition'...

Then towards the end of the MK3 vRS run, they released the challenge edition which also had a better spec than the standard vRS.

I've attached a couple of brochures for you.

Octavia Brochure Nov 2017.pdf Octavia Brochure Nov 2019.pdf

20 hours ago, langers2k said:

When the 245 was first released, it had a few extra's compared to the a standard vRS. It seems to be known as the '245 edition'...

Then towards the end of the MK3 vRS run, they released the challenge edition which also had a better spec than the standard vRS.

I've attached a couple of brochures for you.

Octavia Brochure Nov 2017.pdf 8.15 MB · 1 download Octavia Brochure Nov 2019.pdf 16.21 MB · 2 downloads

Interesting read thankyou

16 hours ago, gav_is_con said:

This may go some way to explain the current market. 

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/355110/used-car-prices-skyrocket-all-time-high

I have definitely noticed the price increase with the searches i've been doing since christmas. Looks like its going to get worse before it gets better unless the supply shortage gets sorted quickly

On 07/06/2021 at 17:45, Stokesy said:

A stop gap might have to be the way forward. I still have a few months so hoping something comes up in the mean time.

Yep the MY18 vRS245 was the challenge version at the time without kessey & DDC 

I'm only in Farnborough if the M3 is convenient for you, more than welcome to have a look/drive

Edited by themanwithnoaim