Recommend me a TV Series to watch.

john999boy

2 hours ago, Winston_Woof said:

Are we talking about Augusta?  Well she has the excuse she was moving from pure research to the dark side of the corporate world ;o)

Aye I know what you mean on the ship :) , I await your response to the opening sequence of  episode 8 ;o)

Ooh, I'm just about to make my (rather late) tea and plan on watching that episode while I eat it :) 

8 hours ago, Winston_Woof said:

Aye I know what you mean on the ship :) , I await your response to the opening sequence of  episode 8 ;o)

It was OK. It didn't shock me and certainly didn't have the 'horror' vibe the ship and the nanotubes had, at least to my eyes. The ship scene was pretty gratuitous and graphic for a streaming show, I thought. 

Overall, the episodes have been a bit hit and miss. Sometimes exciting, sometimes just introspective naval gazing, I felt. 

4 hours ago, Lady Elanore said:

It was OK. It didn't shock me and certainly didn't have the 'horror' vibe the ship and the nanotubes had, at least to my eyes. The ship scene was pretty gratuitous and graphic for a streaming show, I thought. 

Overall, the episodes have been a bit hit and miss. Sometimes exciting, sometimes just introspective naval gazing, I felt. 

maybe it was cos I was tired after a binge watch as it woke me up lol

I've enjoyed the show, but it dragged in places, I felt. Still, it is a massive tale to tell and easily rivals 'Foundation' and the 'Dune trilogy' in its scope. It will be interesting to see if Netflix continues with the 2nd and 3rd books, as they cost a small fortune to make into a tv show if they wish to do the trilogy justice. 

• Like 1

OK episode 8 of that done.

Er, um, yeah, er.... It's a sci fi series. It's not as if it's up there in the top ten of sci fi series of all time - not even the top 20 IMO.

The premise is good in a kinda cheesy way what with the flashy Meta Quest headsets and all the world dying and getting reborn and what have you. 

I can't say I'm itching for a second series tbh. If they make one I'll give it a go if I remember. Maybe. 

1 hour ago, @Lee said:

OK episode 8 of that done.

Er, um, yeah, er.... It's a sci fi series. It's not as if it's up there in the top ten of sci fi series of all time - not even the top 20 IMO.

The premise is good in a kinda cheesy way what with the flashy Meta Quest headsets and all the world dying and getting reborn and what have you. 

I can't say I'm itching for a second series tbh. If they make one I'll give it a go if I remember. Maybe. 

:D I misunderstood your post :D :D :D 

I now realise you were talking about the impact (only a small spoiler)  

• Like 1

I made a start of The Gentlemen (Netflix Show) last night, although lost interest mid-way through episode 2.

It's OK - a 5.5/10 for me.

The problem for me is I was constantly comparing it to the film, which to my mind was excellent (8/10) and all the better Matthew McConaughey, Charlie Hunnan and Colin Farrel.

It was also great to Hugh Grant portay a character which couldn't be more different to his usual roles 👌

The main character in the TV show is very good, but is a few rungs down on the StarOMeter for me.

Suspect I'll go back to it at some point, though.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13210838/?ref_=ext_shr

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not a PC gamer by any stretch of the imagination. But, I've just started to watch 'FALLOUT' which has dropped today on Amazon. I gather it is reasonably faithful to the game and has a lot of nods and winks to things that the gamers will get. I have no idea of the story involved in the game, so wondered if I would enjoy this....

YES!

Brilliant! It's funny, gruesome, looks stunning, has characters that you root for as well as baddies and the occasional (non-human) monster. The music is fabulous too. It's a 9.5/10 for me. You don't need any prior knowledge of the game to enjoy it :) The driving force and occasional director is Jonathon Nolan (brother of Christopher), who did "Westworld" recently. Similar to "The Last of us" in quality. 

Edited by Lady Elanore

On 11/04/2024 at 15:54, Lady Elanore said:

I'm not a PC gamer by any stretch of the imagination. But, I've just started to watch 'FALLOUT' which has dropped today on Amazon. I gather it is reasonably faithful to the game and has a lot of nods and winks to things that the gamers will get. I have no idea of the story involved in the game, so wondered if I would enjoy this....

YES!

Brilliant! It's funny, gruesome, looks stunning, has characters that you root for as well as baddies and the occasional (non-human) monster. The music is fabulous too. It's a 9.5/10 for me. You don't need any prior knowledge of the game to enjoy it :) The driving force and occasional director is Jonathon Nolan (brother of Christopher), who did "Westworld" recently. Similar to "The Last of us" in quality. 

Taken your advice admanda ,on epp 3 at mo ,never heard of fallout but am enjoying this ,bit weird funny gruesome ,but entertaining tho 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mickvrs220 said:

Taken your advice admanda ,on epp 3 at mo ,never heard of fallout but am enjoying this ,bit weird funny gruesome ,but entertaining tho 👍

I'd heard of the game and must have subliminally seen the robot suit thingies somewhere, I guess. The middle episodes are probably the weakest (but still great fun) and the end is fantastic. I love the retro flashback stuff. They have nailed the look of this show :) Apparently there is no word on a second season yet, but the overwhelmingly positive response seems to suggest that they will have to make one. I can't imagine it's a cheap show to make, though. 

Edited by Lady Elanore
  • Like 1

I find the various scandi-noir series they show on BBC4 of a Saturday night are always worth a watch - The Bridge, Wisting, Wallander. And gradually picking up the lingo in case we ever go there 😏

I'm halfway through Ripley and so far it is glorious. Andrew Scott as the eponymous anti-hero is magnificent. Slimy and reptilian in the extreme and the black and white photography is truly sumptuous. I'm lucky enough to have an OLED telly and it never looked better. A lot of people have been slagging it off because it isn't in colour, but honestly, it looks terrific so far and the story is as compelling as ever. My only slight whinge is there is a disparity of the ages of the various actors involved and some interesting casting choices, but it is a minor quibble (ok, that's two quibbles).

I'd give it a very solid 8/10 (so far)