Recommend me a TV Series to watch.

john999boy

I've been watching The Walk In (ITV Hub) which is a gritty, and fairly accurate, account of the far right in the UK. It may be an uncomfortable watch for those who ought to watch it.

I'm just starting on the fantastic Adam Curtis' new doc about Russia since Glasnost.

Unusually for a Curtis doc, he doesn't narrate, instead leaving the footage to speak for itself.

On iPlayer.

6 hours ago, Lady Elanore said:

It seems a while since you posted regularly on Brisky, or have I been visiting the wrong pages? 

Mylady, if a page is visited by you it can never be the wrong page (or could it?)

It has been a while, indeed. Checked my activity: eight (8) posts during the last five years :o Guess that my retirement had something to do with it - no longer a need to kill half an hour at my desk. Plus that I for some reason felt that Briskoda - especially the Off Topic and Roadside Hotel sections - had became less spirited and more quarrelsome/boring. Possibly another tragic Brexit consequence?

Will follow development here more frequently in the future.

• Like 4

I'll promise to do my best. La garde meurt mais ne se rend pas.

And to stay on topic: Fargo, the TV series spin off from the Coen brothers' wonderful film (four seasons so far). On AppleTV IIRC. True Detective (HBO) deserves a mention as well (am eagerly waiting for season 4)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Not a film but a Series, Andor.

Episode 11 screened last week as has created a mass of positive feedback.  First few episodes were very good, middle few set in Imperial prison a bit slow but now the series climax is coming up.     Like Rogue One of the best Sci-Fi series IMO, up there with Bladerunner and Serenity.

Edited by lol-lol
  • Like 2

On 21/11/2022 at 10:46, john999boy said:

Tulsa King on Paramount.

I used to like Sylvester Stallone movies, but since his botched face job - I assume it was botched - surely he didn't want to look like that? (oh and that wig in the trailer!!!) I find him hard to watch. 

I've always been strangely attracted to a slow 'Western', especially the spaghetti kind (Clint Eastwood is a good hunk of a man :blush  ). So I've started to watch The English on BBC iPlayer. It's in UHD with HLG for those with appropriate telly boxes and the sound is encoded in Dolby Digital. So far, it's great! Fantastic cast (Emily Blunt stars in it!), great score (harmonicas, orchestra - and the odd tubular bell for the win) and the cinematography is as stunning as you would expect, given the location. The colour grading is a bit surprising as it is quite saturated, not following the current BBC trend of 'dark and dingy' like most of its big dramas. Emily Blunt so far hasn't donned a Calamity Jane outfit and started to shoot bad guys whilst hanging off the side of her horse and upside down, but there is still time. It's a slow burn, I suspect, this one, but the signs are most promising.  The Guardian liked it Guardian review

First episode, 9/10 for me. 

Edited by Lady Elanore

Re The English - whilst unusual, it’s not something to get too excited about!

@Lady Elanore how did you watch it in 4K?

Just see the spoiler for Tokyo Vice (BBC) and that could be interesting.
Also available in 4K but elusively not sure how to get it.
Using Sky Q (with HD & UHDj or Freeview.

7 hours ago, john999boy said:

Re The English - whilst unusual, it’s not something to get too excited about!

@Lady Elanore how did you watch it in 4K?

Just see the spoiler for Tokyo Vice (BBC) and that could be interesting.
Also available in 4K but elusively not sure how to get it.
Using Sky Q (with HD & UHDj or Freeview.

It's 4k HDR (HLG) on the iPlayer :)

I've seen the first 3 episodes and might need to reappraise Ms Blunts cowgirl/Calamity Jane/murder-death skills!!  I'm loving it so far, but I do like a slow paced western. 

Tokyo Vice looks interesting

Another tv show I've started to watch is 1899 on Netflix. It has shades of the film Ghost Ship and it too is a slow and slightly baffling production. I've read reviews that state it makes sense at the end of this series (more to come?) and people who make it that far will quite probably be hooked. I'm giving it a sold 7/10 so far. One word of warning, however, you must watch it in the "English (original version)" as if you watch it with the sound set to "English Dubbed" it's a tad confusing in places. The series is set on a ship (like a blacked out Titanic) and the crew and passenger list are from all over the world, so speak in their mother tongues. So when a moment of confusion arises because people don't speak each other's language, it's a bit silly if you hear the whole thing in English :D Anyhoo, it's a slow burn and looks quite lovely. 

Edited by Lady Elanore

I've just started watching it. Seems OK so far. Intro titles were reminiscent of Sergio Legoni.

This clip made me wonder if this is what Bill Gates envisiged the paper clip to look like in XP 

PXL_20221124_001549217.jpg

Stick with it. It turns more and more into a spaghetti type Western, even the music sounds like a cross between Ennio Moriconne and John Barry, but there is a lot of talk too (most of it necessary as there is a lot of backstory to the main protagonists).

The final episode is genuinely shocking and has a twist that left me speechless. I loved it. 

• Like 2

Another vote for Andor. But I thought it didn't really get good until midway through the series.

Very gritty, I've been describing it as almost like the BBC in the 80s was doing Star Wars. That's not a criticism it's just so different from the toy selling side of the franchise. No force, not even mentioned, no light sabres. It could almost be set in East Germany in the early 80s.

Oddly we also enjoyed "Drink Masters" on Netflix. It's a Bake Off style show but for cocktails. Normally I hate the very American ones but we liked this.

I've just binge watched Tokyo Vice and enjoyed it, but it does drag on a bit (surprisingly) and the lead actor is a bit wooden. Also, the English speaking characters have an annoying habit of swapping back and forth, during a conversation with the Japanese characters, from English to Japanese and back. It happens every couple of sentences, is not believable and mildly annoying.  Even though it's a Michael Mann show I'd personally give it a 6/10. There is to be a second series, so perhaps it will improve a little and I will watch it. 

I still preferred The English which was also a slow paced affair, but the difference was it was designed to be that way, at least imho. 

12 hours ago, Aspman said:

Another vote for Andor. But I thought it didn't really get good until midway through the series.

Very gritty, I've been describing it as almost like the BBC in the 80s was doing Star Wars. That's not a criticism it's just so different from the toy selling side of the franchise. No force, not even mentioned, no light sabres. It could almost be set in East Germany in the early 80s.
Oddly we also enjoyed "Drink Masters" on Netflix. It's a Bake Off style show but for cocktails. Normally I hate the very American ones but we liked this.

The spaceship of Luthen has light sabres, massive ones each side to slice the imperial tie fighters ie the last two before he jumped to hyperspace.

• Like 1

Might be of help to some people; I was an Apple TV customer but cancelled a few months ago. In Martin Lewis's weekly MSE email this week was a link for Apple TV - two months free trial then £6.99 month after the two months (you can cancel before the end of the two months to avoid paying). I was surprised as a returning customer I qualified for the two months tbh. Might help people avoid the usual dross from ITV/ BBC over the festive period. 

Link is in in here https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/broadband-and-tv/tv-moneysaving-tricks/#appledeals

• 2 weeks later...

Three Pines on Amazon Prime. Detective murder series set in Quebec starring Alfred Molina. 

4 episodes out,  there's a background story arc about a missing girl, but there are separate stories that run over two episodes.

Edited by io1901
  • Like 1