What Tyres?

Hi, The original fit Cinturato p7 tyres will soon need replacing. What do you guys recommend as a good replacement 235/40/19 tyre?

I don't want any that are to noisy.

Michelin ps4s seem to be highly rated by various people on here, including me (on the octavia). 

Out of curiosity, how many miles did you get out of the p7s? 

23,000 and by no means worn out. The rubber on the side walls has 'aged and shows a fair degree of cracking. I would rather change them now and me get the benefit rather than sell the car with new(ish) tyres to someone else.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JBD1974 said:

ps4s

Do you really mean PS4S or simply PS4 ?

Because there seems to be a significant difference:

I've replaced the 4 original P7 by PS4 (also in 235/40/19 size). I'm fully satisfied with them. Good dry and wet grip (even in curves). Stiff sidewalls, which highly improve steering sharpness and feedback information in the steering wheel. Noise is somehow the same.

• Like 1

I went PS4S on mine, was a toss up between them and the 'normal' PS4. 

If I was doing it again I would 100% go PS4 instead of the S, a car like the Superb just doesnt need the extra performance from the tyres. I did have a degree of FOMO I think and would have always wondered if I was missing out by not going for the S's but I can't imagine they would actually have made much difference on the car. 

I have Michelin cross climates and although they are not super sporty they are consistently grippy in all conditions. There is maybe too much torque with the electric drive in my GTE (same as superb iV) but in a normal car with less instant torque they would be fine.

Not had all season tyres before now as spent the last 6/7 years swapping between summer and winter wheel sets. I'll see how they wear and decide then if I stick to single tyre set.

For summer previously I had some Goodyear eagle f1 and then efficient grip performance. Both were nicely rounded performance and lasted well.

3 hours ago, JBD1974 said:

I'm itching to replace the P7's, but they seem to wear quite slowly

Oh yeah! They do wear slowly, but the wet grip is vanishing too quickly IMHO. I really don't like their 'soap' effect in curves in wet conditions and the under-steering they generate.

I had Michelin cross climate on my previous car, were a very good compromise performed extremely well in snow and ice. I was able to get about Scotland without winter tyres from the first time with confidence, worked well in the summer as well. But like all things there is a trade off. I would replace the tyres on mine with them when the originals wear out as swapping Tyres and wheels is a pain as I live in Cheshire but travel to Scotland a lot and have managed to get snowed up in the past before using cross or winter tyres but the conditions in Cheshire have meant changing the wheels for the weekend  trips on occasions as the winter tyres were not appropriate for the Cheshire weather and wore too quickly. 

14 minutes ago, handandy said:

Think I have decided on the PS4. Quoted £160 each fitted which sounds pretty good to me!

Who was that with?

Sounds like quite a good price but have a look around as they do offers on some of the sites (I got 15% off mine for buying four) but they seem to come and go quite a lot 

You might want to have a look at All Tyres 365 or Tyres Guru, where they are about £150. Camskills, often good for non-mainstream tyres or fitting, look to have them about £140.

If it was me, I'd consider other options as well.

You can buy tyres in this size as cheap as £50, but I really, really wouldn't unless you had pretty solid evidence that they are ok,

The cheapest that I'd consider would be Nexen Nfera SU1 at £85 (I can't honestly remember whether the SU1 is better than the SU4 or vice versa, but there is a worthwhile potential saving there).

Next up would be Avon ZV7 tyres, which squeak in  just over £100. They are a bit bland, and have a habit of picking up stones and crud, but aren't at all bad.

Only a bit more expensive are Vredestein Ultrac Satin at about 107.

The one big thing that Michelins have always had going for them is life: anyone can make a hard tyre that lasts, but historically Michelins have been the only people who have made (an expensive tyre) that both lasts and has wet grip. A bit less true, these days, and Michelin does some tyres that are specifically more aimed at track days, etc, and that aren't intended to have long lives.

In any case, I'm sure I've seen one review that had a better life out of the Goodyear F1 assy 5 than PS4. Unfortunately, at  around £150, there isn't much of a saving there.

I’ve got the PS4 on mine, was around £168 each fitted a few months back. Could’ve had the PS4s for around £10 each more a corner but didn’t think it was necessary.

I’m happy with them, seem to hold the road well and aren’t noisy so providing they don’t wear out too quickly I’ll be replacing them with like again in future.

As a side note I also run Michelin pilot road on my motorbike as well and they’ve always been excellent!

• 2 weeks later...

I've just fitted Goodyear vector four seasons, 115x55x17. £133 each from Tyre Shopper fitted.

They are more comfortable and quieter than the Continental eco tyres that were fitted from new.

@handandy  235/40 R19 is a fairly unusual size, so limited choice

Can however get the new cross climate 2, the new Pirelli all season SF2, and Vredestein Quatrac Pro (which many posters rate very highly), and for a more limited budget perhaps the Maxxis AP3 all season (if you can have limited tyre budget but afford L&K spec)

I’m going to exclude cross climate plus, Quatrac 5, and AP2 as all superseded

Goodyear don’t make vector 4 season in that size

Obviously the new tyres have negligible reviews yet so have to assume at least as good (and hopefully bit better) than predecessors 

2 hours ago, SurreyJohn said:

Obviously the new tyres have negligible reviews yet so have to assume at least as good (and hopefully bit better) than predecessors 

This is unfortunately not systematically true.

Here is my humble experience:

Several years ago, I had Michelin PS2, whom I was very satisfied with. Time for change had come and PS3 version appeared on the market. I choose them, but I felt disappointed since there were less grippy. I kept them until it was time to change again. I then choose PS4 version, which reminded me how PS2 were good and PS4are even better.

Several years later I read that PS2 was derived from a 'sporty rubber' version, whereas PS3 were derived form Michelin Pilot Exalto, instead of PS2. But... PE were more comfort oriented than PS2. This is why I felt disappointed, they were less efficient than PS2. 

Currently PS4 are derived from a 'sporty rubber' version again! ;) 

Edited by Bap33

Our Kodiaq came with Falken Azenis FK510, the SUV version obviously, and whilst I was dubious at first I have to admit to being impressed with them.  They grip well, are quiet for a big tyre and seem to be getting good reviews.

If you are going to fit all season tyres, order them by early September (even if fitting date is bit later).   Prices are much lower at this time of year, but in the autumn prices always jump and some types and sizes can be out of stock

If you wait until weather changes then can be nearer £700 for a set that can be bought currently for £500 in your unusual tyre size.

As it happens, I've got 4S2 tyres on. I can't give you as full a review as I'd like but:

The car was on 16" Nokian Winter tyres before, and had got understeery, if pushed. I had thought this was the Nokians going off (the fronts did look a bit 'leaned on), but it is still there on the 18" Hankooks, so it is probably a  suspension fault that I've got to find. I haven't yet driven them in sub-zero temps, so I don't know about that.

i) I'l be a lot happier when the understeer goes away. I thought changing the wheel size was going to be the thing, but it wasn't

ii) The change to 18s wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. While 16s are definitely more comfortable, you don't really notice on A roads/motorways, just slower roads in bad states of repair. In terms of noise, they are quite sensitive to the texture of the tarmac, with a coarse, open texture being noticeably noisier (but then, that's true of most modern tyres)

So far, my initial report is that I like them, provisionally, but I'll know more when Winter comes around (The Nokian D3 tyres were hard, for a Winter tyre, and if these wear as well, I'll be delighted, even if that does mean I'm losing the last tenth of grip, particularly in winter)

And I had decided I wanted to go all seasons, and saw the same review as you.It seemed to me, I'd lose a bit of summer grip by going to all seasons, and I wanted to compensate by going to a wider tyre.

My second choice would probably have been the Vredesteins.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Camlobe said:

As it happens, I've got 4S2 tyres on. I can't give you as full a review as I'd like but:

The car was on 16" Nokian Winter tyres before, and had got understeery, if pushed. I had thought this was the Nokians going off (the fronts did look a bit 'leaned on), but it is still there on the 18" Hankooks, so it is probably a  suspension fault that I've got to find. I haven't yet driven them in sub-zero temps, so I don't know about that.

i) I'l be a lot happier when the understeer goes away. I thought changing the wheel size was going to be the thing, but it wasn't

ii) The change to 18s wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. While 16s are definitely more comfortable, you don't really notice on A roads/motorways, just slower roads in bad states of repair. In terms of noise, they are quite sensitive to the texture of the tarmac, with a coarse, open texture being noticeably noisier (but then, that's true of most modern tyres)

So far, my initial report is that I like them, provisionally, but I'll know more when Winter comes around (The Nokian D3 tyres were hard, for a Winter tyre, and if these wear as well, I'll be delighted, even if that does mean I'm losing the last tenth of grip, particularly in winter)

And I had decided I wanted to go all seasons, and saw the same review as you.It seemed to me, I'd lose a bit of summer grip by going to all seasons, and I wanted to compensate by going to a wider tyre.

My second choice would probably have been the Vredesteins.

Should have added that this is on an Octavia, and I bought the tyres from Camskills.

I'm having 2 new PS4's on the front tomorrow after new ones went on the back a few months ago. 

They are very grippy but wear pretty quickly ... Or maybe thats because they are more grippy ;)

Edit to say this is my 2nd set of PS4's

Edited by Nick_H

36 minutes ago, Nick_H said:

I'm having 2 new PS4's on the front tomorrow after new ones went on the back a few months ago. 

They are very grippy but wear pretty quickly ... Or maybe thats because they are more grippy ;)

Edit to say this is my 2nd set of PS4's

How many miles are you getting out of them? Thanks