Superb vs 5 series

I'm in the process of finding the next car, coming from a 2008 320d estate. I want something with good space and comfort, with a decent sound system and a reliable, yet punchy engine. I've narrowed it down to either a post 2017 Superb, or a post 2017 BMW 5 series. They're on similar money on a PCP deal, with similar age and mileage, but the BMW does have the edge in terms of driving experience and refinement.

I've driven both a Superb (a rental 1.5 TSI manual hatch, about a year ago) and a 5 series (the 520d xDrive, yesterday). While I know the engines are not comparable, I did enjoy elements of both cars. The Skoda felt less planted on the road, leaning and bouncing, while the BMW felt nice and grippy. I felt a huge difference in the sound insulation, with the BMW being much more silent despite its diesel 4 pot engine. However, the Superb was much more spacious.

If I'd go for a Superb, I'd probably choose the Sportline or an L&K with the DCC, with either a 2 litre petrol or diesel. The BMW on the other hand I'd pick with Msport trim and either a 2 litre diesel or petrol. I only do about 8k miles a year, but they are primarily made of motorway runs, with very rare city driving in London.

So my questions are:

1. How does the 2 litre diesel engine (the 190ps) in the Superb compare with the BMW one? How do they compare when taking into account the gearboxes (the 7 speed DSG in the Skoda and the 8 speed auto in the BMW)?
  2. Is the 2.0 petrol more suitable for the Superb? While I'd like to go for the 272, I can hardly find one with Canton and in the budget, so it would be the 190.
  3. How's the general driving between these cars with the engines mentioned above?
  4. How's the reliability? Any known issues for these 2 litre engines in the two cars?

I intend to test drive a Superb as well, but 15-20 minutes isn't too long too form a good enough impression, so I'd appreciate any views on this.

2018 L&K 2.0 TSI estate, 19K miles £22840 should have DCC, Canton and lots of extras at Birchwood Skoda Eastbourne. Reliable smooth. From my experience very little road tyre noise compared to Golf GTI. Some fluttering from the door mirror. 40 Mpg on the run, not sure when the 7 speed DSG box was introduced but DSG is smooth. The DCC will removes the floatiness on twisting roads. I expect the TDI 190 L&K would be similar, especially if it’s is a 4x4 version. 

• Like 1

@AndreasZ We know the Superb isn’t the quietest of the VAG brand range, there are enough threads in here of people adding extra sound insulation, do a search if you are interested in that. It depends on your expectations. 

I think the thing that is likely to be in the Superb’s favour relative to the BMW (from other comments on Briskoda) is the value for money of the Superb, given the amount of equipment it comes with, particularly an L&K. This is the thing that makes it a great car to drive day after day, particularly with something like an L&K. Full leather, radar cruise control, lane keeping assistance, blind-spot assistance, traffic jam assist, CarPlay, AndroidAuto etc. It would be interesting to know what you get on the similarly priced 5-series, can you share?

Canton audio sounds great to most people, I think those who have had higher-end audio systems in the past tend to think it isn’t so good, so that is a very personal thing that you’ll need to compare for yourself.

I find DCC gives me enough control over the damper settings for most conditions.

And the space inside is great, for passengers and for loads :)

I’m sure others will be along with their observations relative to the 5-series. 

I owned a diesel F10 5 series before switching to the Superb and rate the Superb higher in most areas, particularly space, practicality, reliability and refinement.

The G30 that you are looking at is a much finer package than the F10, and having driven one recently came away very impressed. It was a high mileage car that felt almost like new. In a Superb with similar mileage there would be rattles and it would feel it's age much more. For a diesel it was remarkably refined.

The sound sound system in the BMW is really rubbish though. BMW are notorious for having really crappy audio and even the upgraded Harman-kardon is pretty average. The lack of folding rear seats as standard as well just wrecks my head and would be a deal breaker for me.

If I was given a choice between the two for similar money on a PCP it would be very hard to overlook the BMW. You have an interesting decision to make!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ivan8192 said:

@AndreasZ We know the Superb isn’t the quietest of the VAG brand range, there are enough threads in here of people adding extra sound insulation, do a search if you are interested in that. It depends on your expectations. 

I think the thing that is likely to be in the Superb’s favour relative to the BMW (from other comments on Briskoda) is the value for money of the Superb, given the amount of equipment it comes with, particularly an L&K. This is the thing that makes it a great car to drive day after day, particularly with something like an L&K. Full leather, radar cruise control, lane keeping assistance, blind-spot assistance, traffic jam assist, CarPlay, AndroidAuto etc. It would be interesting to know what you get on the similarly priced 5-series, can you share?

Canton audio sounds great to most people, I think those who have had higher-end audio systems in the past tend to think it isn’t so good, so that is a very personal thing that you’ll need to compare for yourself.

I find DCC gives me enough control over the damper settings for most conditions.

And the space inside is great, for passengers and for loads :)

I’m sure others will be along with their observations relative to the 5-series. 

Just for a quick comparison, here are two similarly priced examples:

520d: 

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202105062270629?atmobcid=soc4 

Superb: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202106153858648?atmobcid=soc4 

The BMW comes at £360 pcm and the Skoda at £350 pcm, both with 4 year PCP, £2k deposit and 8k miles a year. Arguably, the Skoda is much newer and less miles, plus it’s a petrol vs the diesel in the bimmer, but they’re quite matched in specs. 

The major advantage in the Superb is the space, I’m 6’5 and in the 5 series sitting behind me is quite impossible, whereas in the Skoda I could sit myself behind my driver’s seat.

decisions, decisions…

I've just moved from a 2011 F11 520D Tourer into a 2018 2.0TSI SEL Superb. 

1. Quote

How does the 2 litre diesel engine (the 190ps) in the Superb compare with the BMW one? How do they compare when taking into account the gearboxes (the 7 speed DSG in the Skoda and the 8 speed auto in the BMW)?

- Can't comment on the Superb diesel.  My 520D n47 4-pot was actually decent enough.  It had lots of torque at high speed but was a bit slow off the line, obviously.  Noisey outside the car, but fine inside.  Mine was manual so cannot comment on that.
  2. Quote

Is the 2.0 petrol more suitable for the Superb? While I'd like to go for the 272, I can hardly find one with Canton and in the budget, so it would be the 190.

I have the 2.0TSI 220 (they have pulled it back slightly now, but it's very similar I believe?).  I'll take this engine over the BMW any day of the week.  Smooth and quiet.  More than enough punch.  I have the DSG6 wet box, which seems great to me.  Smooth through the gears. Only the occasional odd gear selection in 'normal' mode.  Hate the 'sport' mode.  Lingers far to long in the gear and often leaves you in 2nd on a 30mph road?!  I didn't want the 'notorious; DQ200 7speed dry box, so avoided the 1.4/1.5TSI engines.
  3. Quote

How's the general driving between these cars with the engines mentioned above?

BMW was a better drive in terms of handling and manners.  That said, the Superb is totally fine.  Both are boats.
  4. Quote

How's the reliability? Any known issues for these 2 litre engines in the two cars?

Had no major issues on the BMW (and it was old), but there was a catalogue of minor issues.  Mainly electrical.  Not had the Superb long enough really, but most of my issues are with the crap dealer experience buying used approved, rather than the car design.

Generally happy with the Superb but miss the BMW in the following ways:

• The road noise. Oh the road noise.  On 18 inch wheels the Superb is the noisiest car I have ever owned by far (Mondeo Mk1, Mk2, Mk3, Toyota Yaris, Honda CRV, BMW 520). If you're bothered by road noise, I'd pick the 520.
  • Seat comfort is average at best on the Superb.
  • Build quality is fine on the Superb.  Good in places, scrimped in others.

Prefer the Skoda in the following ways:

• Engine.  Much nicer than the N47 BMW
  • Styling. Actually much prefer the exterior styling.
  • I didn't enjoying being labeled as a BMW driver.  That said, you get a bit more grief on the road in the Skoda I have noticed.
  • Better boot space and rear leg room.
  • Cheaper parts.

Hope this helps!

Edited by graphic
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Redboy said:

2018 L&K 2.0 TSI estate, 19K miles £22840 should have DCC, Canton and lots of extras at Birchwood Skoda Eastbourne. Reliable smooth. From my experience very little road tyre noise compared to Golf GTI. Some fluttering from the door mirror. 40 Mpg on the run, not sure when the 7 speed DSG box was introduced but DSG is smooth. The DCC will removes the floatiness on twisting roads. I expect the TDI 190 L&K would be similar, especially if it’s is a 4x4 version. 

I have that one saved in my Autotrader list, really good one especially with the pan roof and Canton. Only one minor thing I don’t like which is the 6 speed DSG, would have preferred the 7 speed for lower rpd at cruising speed.

• Like 1

Agree with the other comments.
It comes down to equipment/space  Vs the basics of a good comfortable drive/ gearbox. 
I love the superb equipment levels but having had BMWs  before miss the basics of good suspension/ noise insulation .

Personally I’ve been disappointed with the DSG (mines a 7spd). I find the hesitation at low speeds/ setting off a pain In our diesel . It probably doesn’t help our other car is electric.

Must admit the superb is brilliant on holiday trips with the space and loaded up. We also tow and it does it  really well. 

Edited by nebrog23

The BMW is better in everything except interior size.

The Superb brings better equipment but at the engine level, suspension, gearbox, sensations and finishes, the BMW is much superior to the Superb.

Yesterday I did Madrid-Malaga (540 km in Spain) with a BMW 520 diesel 184cv and 8-speed automatic from 2017 and 140k km, and the car is much better than my Superb MKII with 30k km 190 CV TDI 4x4.

11 hours ago, AndreasZ said:

Just for a quick comparison, here are two similarly priced examples:

520d: 

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202105062270629?atmobcid=soc4 

Superb: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202106153858648?atmobcid=soc4 

The BMW comes at £360 pcm and the Skoda at £350 pcm, both with 4 year PCP, £2k deposit and 8k miles a year. Arguably, the Skoda is much newer and less miles, plus it’s a petrol vs the diesel in the bimmer, but they’re quite matched in specs. 

The major advantage in the Superb is the space, I’m 6’5 and in the 5 series sitting behind me is quite impossible, whereas in the Skoda I could sit myself behind my driver’s seat.

decisions, decisions…

The state of the steering wheel and seat bolster on that 5 series is crazy for less than 30k miles!

The benefit, to me, of the Skoda is the much newer car and better spec. I picked up a 2017 L&K 280 for low £20k's, the equivalent 5 series is up towards £30k.

14 hours ago, Gabrielem said:

El BMW es mejor en todo menos en tamaño interior.

El Superb trae mejor equipamiento pero a nivel de motor, suspensión, caja de cambios, sensaciones y acabados, el BMW es muy superior al Superb.

Ayer hice Madrid-Málaga (540 km en España) con un BMW 520 diésel de 184cv y automática de 8 velocidades de 2017 y 140k km, y el coche es mucho mejor que mi Superb MKII con 30k km 190 CV TDI 4x4.

I correct. THE BMW was with a 190hp diesel engine just like mine, and my model is the MKIII.

The BMW engine runs much more and consumes much less than the Skoda.

On 20/06/2021 at 14:23, AndreasZ said:

I intend to test drive a Superb as well, but 15-20 minutes isn't too long too form a good enough impression, so I'd appreciate any views on this.

You should test drive a Superb with DCC and without DCC to really feel the difference. Even 15 minutes will be enough to tell you whether DCC is something for you or not. 

It's a false equivalence to be honest. Value brand Vs premium brand. I exchanged refinement and gremlins for newness and cheaper maintenance. I miss a lot about the BMW in many ways, but that's partly the sh** Skoda dealer experience more than anything. And the road noise.

As I said above, I'd take the 2.0tsi 220 over the 4pot BMW diesel, although I don't have experience of the newest generation. Mine was nearly 11 years old and although only on 70k I felt like I was always waiting for the next thing to break!

A side step from the BMW would be better made into an Audi A6.

1 hour ago, graphic said:

It's a false equivalence to be honest. Value brand Vs premium brand. I exchanged refinement and gremlins for newness and cheaper maintenance. I miss a lot about the BMW in many ways, but that's partly the sh** Skoda dealer experience more than anything. And the road noise.

As I said above, I'd take the 2.0tsi 220 over the 4pot BMW diesel, although I don't have experience of the newest generation. Mine was nearly 11 years old and although only on 70k I felt like I was always waiting for the next thing to break!

A side step from the BMW would be better made into an Audi A6.

I had a look at some A6 Avant, while I like the exterior, the interior looks really dated (for the pre-2018). The newer ones are a bit out of my budget and I'd rather go for a well specced Skoda than a poverty spec A6. 5 series is quite easy to find within the budget, but I'll have to test a well specced Superb to see the differences.

19 minutes ago, Patent said:

This is a bit of a strange cross-shopping experiment. Looks are a matter of taste, but I can't see where else the superb wins? Have you looked at the Volvo V60?

Yep, checked the V60 and V90, they're both good premium cars. I've only sat in a V90 about 4 years ago and it did feel very plush inside. From what videos I watched it seemed the gearbox is a bit laggy, plus I'm not a big fan of the portrait infotainment,  but other than that, it's a good choice. Definitely on my list, especially if I manage to find a good mileage D5 or T5 V90 with the Bowers&Wilkins sound system :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AndreasZ said:

I had a look at some A6 Avant, while I like the exterior, the interior looks really dated (for the pre-2018). The newer ones are a bit out of my budget and I'd rather go for a well specced Skoda than a poverty spec A6. 5 series is quite easy to find within the budget, but I'll have to test a well specced Superb to see the differences.

5 series is pretty decent value compared to other premium competitors in my opinion, but it's a very different proposition to the Superb.

As ever with Briskoda, lots of useful information. 

Out of curiosity, did you post the same question on BMW forums, and if so what was the response there?

• Like 1

On 23/06/2021 at 09:00, JBD1974 said:

As ever with Briskoda, lots of useful information. 

Out of curiosity, did you post the same question on BMW forums, and if so what was the response there?

Let me guess... 🤔

« Sko... what ? BMW, what else !?! »

🙄😂

• Like 1

I came to the Superb from 10yrs of two Volvo XC60's, fancying a change after nearly 20yrs of SUV driving and haven't regretted it. The car is aptly named and you get an awful lot for the money. It certainly didn't seem like a step down from my 5yr old Volvo, techwise it it was quite a step up but it is noisier and Volvo are renowned for the comfort of their seats and though the Skoda are certainly not uncomfortable, they're not really in the same league.

My only real gripe is with the DSG box (7 speed on the 1.5 petrol), it's mostly very good when you're moving but there is something of a lag when you're pulling out at junctions or roundabouts, you can almost count to 2 before anything happens when you press the go pedal! Same with kickdown for an overtake.

Recently, having having reached the grand old age of 3 score years and 10, and adjusted from SUV to Estate I decided to push the boat out and look at an “upgrade” to an Audi A6 or BMW 5 series, both PHEV. Tested both and to me the bimmer edged it by a fair bit. The A6 was a very classy, quiet and pokey, though less roomy Superb, being VAG the layout was similar if very much more refined. The 5 series was a better driving car, IMHO, and was ever so slightly more upmarket than the A6 let alone the Superb.

As others have said, new you're comparing Aldi to Waitrose, Primark to Next. If 2nd hand there isn't the same price differential I'd be very surprised if you didn't find the BMW better to drive, quieter, classier in the interior and less roomy than the Superb. That's not a criticism of the Skoda, just a reflection of what you would expect given the price differential when new.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/06/2021 at 01:01, graphic said:

What conclusion did you come to @AndreasZ?

Paid the deposit for a 2017 520d touring with some nice toys, including the Harman/Kardon sound, a towbar and M sport Plus pack. Going to the dealership to pick it up this weekend, so unless there's something really wrong with it, that's my decision made.

Thanks all for the good insight, really helped a lot!

• Like 1