Wheels help please

Hi,

Recently purchased a SE Technology Estate registered in 2019. Loving it so far but want to change the wheels.

It has 17s on at the moment which I intend to remove and use as winter wheels and put winter tyres on ready for the colder weather.

I want to put 18’s on as I think 19’s will ruin the ride comfort. Anyone done this? I’m also trying to find out the model of the wheels presently fitted..?

Cheers 👍🏻

Hi

Default setting of suspensions is quite soft. I do have 19" (with DCC indeed), but I don't feel it too hard. Have a try if you can. ;) 

If you're looking for wheel dimensions:

18" --> 8Jx18 ET44 - Tyres are 235/45/18 98V XL

19" --> 8Jx19 ET44 - Tyres are 235/40/19 96V XL

4 minutes ago, Bap33 said:

Hi

Default setting of suspensions is quite soft. I do have 19" (with DCC indeed), but I don't feel it too hard. Have a try if you can. ;) 

If you're looking for wheel dimensions:

18" --> 8Jx18 ET44 - Tyres are 235/45/18 98V XL

19" --> 8Jx19 ET44 - Tyres are 235/40/19 96V XL

Brilliant, thanks for that. I’ve got 18’s with 40 series on my Octavia VRS and on some uk roads it’s teeth shattering 🤣

Does have updated suspension and Cupra R bushes though 😁

6 minutes ago, SkudMissile21 said:

I don’t have 17’s on mine but looking at the spec book for the mk3’s I have saved it says 17” stratos alloys for the SE models?

anything like these?

4B973B35-ABAC-4A7A-8E9F-4AC052254CAA.jpeg

They do look familiar ta 👍🏻
I think my ones are all silver 

Don’t know whether to go with bigger ones of these or something different 🤦🏼

Just keep in mind bigger means for poorer ride comfort and more road noise. Personally I feel it's 17s are the sweet spot between looks and practicality. And the car doesn't look under wheeled with them either.

IMG_20200409_120405.jpg

• Like 2

I run 17” winter wheels and have 19” summer alloys  . I hate the road and suspension noise/ crashing with the 19” and look forward to having the 17” on. They are quieter, comfier, grippier and feel quicker.That being said the 19” are not uncomfortable just noisier with more trim rattle and more prone to wheel spin

ideally I’d of had 18” wheels for summer but the car came with the 19” upgrade . I personally think the 17” look a tad small but I don’t care when I’m driving it! 

Advice needed 

Thinking off swapping mine over 

Bola b25 19 inch 

Bola b17 19 inch or 

Veeman fs66 19 inch 

Thoughts?

On 21/06/2021 at 10:07, Steviedakota said:

Just keep in mind bigger means for poorer ride comfort and more road noise. Personally I feel it's 17s are the sweet spot between looks and practicality. And the car doesn't look under wheeled with them either.

IMG_20200409_120405.jpg

its a tough call. From some angles it looks fine, some angles there’s too much sidewall, perhaps I’m just used to low profiles but I get what you mean about the ride 👍🏻

On 22/06/2021 at 17:07, nebrog23 said:

I run 17” winter wheels and have 19” summer alloys  . I hate the road and suspension noise/ crashing with the 19” and look forward to having the 17” on. They are quieter, comfier, grippier and feel quicker.That being said the 19” are not uncomfortable just noisier with more trim rattle and more prone to wheel spin

ideally I’d of had 18” wheels for summer but the car came with the 19” upgrade . I personally think the 17” look a tad small but I don’t care when I’m driving it! 

I don’t think I’d go bigger than 18’s, like you say, too much crashing and banging!

Decisions, decisions 🤣

I have 19's on as standard and the ride is fine, if anything it's the suspension that's the problem with or being too floaty, so I couldn't go to smaller wheels it would look silly on my sportline model

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wazza99 said:

I have 19's on as standard and the ride is fine, if anything it's the suspension that's the problem with or being too floaty, so I couldn't go to smaller wheels it would look silly on my sportline model

I find the suspension floaty/bouncy  on both sets of wheels. In fact it  feels worse on the 19” because the wheels are so hard and it sets the suspension off bouncing.
Completely agree the 19” are the best for aesthetics. 
I don’t think you realise the difference until you try a smaller wheel.

Bearing in mind you spend most of your time riding inside your car rather than looking at it. If you value low road noise and ride comfort, I would stick with the 17 inch wheels. I certainly often wish I had downgraded from the standard 18” (pirelli P7) on my SEL which are bloody noisy and give a hard ride.

21 hours ago, xman said:

Bearing in mind you spend most of your time riding inside your car rather than looking at it. If you value low road noise and ride comfort, I would stick with the 17 inch wheels. I certainly often wish I had downgraded from the standard 18” (pirelli P7) on my SEL which are bloody noisy and give a hard ride.

Ride quality is certainly up there on priorities. 
I think I might stick with the 17s and put some decent tyres on, but that’s another thread 🤣🤣

not all 19s r harsh, or hard, or bouncy!!
depends on ur setup.

the 19s on mine r not harsh at all, even with the lowered springs and DCC shocks.

they're quite comfortable.

if i want to firm things up - i put the shocks in Sports mode.  doesn't make it trim/bone jarring though.

if i want super comfy/floaty feel - i put the shocks into Comfort mode.

its a lot more comfortable than the my previous mk2 Octavia RS which had 18s and standard RS shocks.

874319941_PXL_20210505_0255405132.thumb.jpg.f0fdf20ae04e23315d292edb0b01e280.jpg

• Like 1

I run 16 inch with winter tyres or 18 inch with summer tyres (not a Superb) and I can’t wait to switch back to the smaller rims as it is quieter and lot less crashy on poor road surfaces.

Not sure why it is assumed that higher spec cars in UK have to be supplied with large rims that don’t cushion road ripples as well as smaller rims

19 hours ago, Wazza99 said:

Hey JR love the look of your ride, can you tell me your set up, springs, body kit etc would love mine to look similar

my build thread has the details of my setup in more detail, but essentially i have Eibach Prokit springs (lowers the car 20mm), with factory DCC shocks (i've done the DCC recalibration to make it ride better).

i have 15mm hub-centric spacers front & rear.

the side skirts (painted to match body color) and front lip (painted gloss black) r Rieger.

1 hour ago, JR RS said:

my build thread has the details of my setup in more detail, but essentially i have Eibach Prokit springs (lowers the car 20mm), with factory DCC shocks (i've done the DCC recalibration to make it ride better).

the side skirts (painted to match body color) and front lip (painted gloss black) r Rieger.

+ glossy black 'eye lid' on front fog lights ;)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JR RS said:

Thanks JR 

I though the eibach pro kit was 30mm front and rear,but 20mm sounds better to me

On 26/06/2021 at 19:02, Wazza99 said:

Thanks JR 

I though the eibach pro kit was 30mm front and rear,but 20mm sounds better to me

as @MarkyG82 pointed out - DCC is approx. 10mm lower than standard non-DCC equipped cars.

the Prokit's 30-35mm drop is based on standard suspension. 

hence with the DCC, the drop is 20-25mm only.

Edited by JR RS

Off topic warning!

I was thinking about this and wondered what it was that made it 10mm lower. I originally assumed it was the shocks. But that would make the prokit drop it by the designed 30-35mm. So the only other think could be the springs.

So there must be 3 spring heights. Standard, sportline and DCC.

If that's the case it give more options for tuning ride height.