Electric tailgate doesn't work

Gabi4

Suddenly, the electric tailgate stopped opening/close. It makes a small beep, moves a bit, and that's it. I will schedule a service for this.

Have anyone encountered this problem? I found some references on Superb and Kodiaq forums.

I have exactly the same problem with mine. Mines been into Skoda to be diagnosed and one of the hall sensors in one of the struts which opens the tailgate has failed. The whole strut has to be replaced.

The problem is getting hold of the part as there are none in the UK. That was two weeks ago and still waiting for the dealer to get back to me.

• Thanks 1

Service verdict: the electric motor of the tailgate needs to be replaced. I was a bit confused since I thought that there is one motor in each struts, but it seems it's a single one, central. :blink:

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I recently had my right hand strut replaced (which I believe deals with closing the tailgate). About 6 months out of warranty, but the extended warranty I bought covered it. Garage reckoned it is about £400 job to replace it (mainly the cost of the strut).

• 2 months later...

Legally, your dealer is responsible for supplying you with a satisfactory car, and they then have a similar contract with Skoda UK. But an opening rear door is a serious safety issue as it will allow exhaust gases to enter the vehicle as well as possibly dumping your luggage in the path of a following vehicle! 

I'd insist on your dealer soring it out while it's still under warranty, and providing you with a roadworthy car while they do so. 

If you need help enforcing your legal rights, can you speak to your local Citizens Advice Bureau, or Trading Standards?

Chris

Just echoing what CJJE has said. People don't seem to understand what roll Skoda UK play. On the few times I've contacted them they've always found a solution by liaising with the dealership. Occasionally you'll come across a person within a dealership who acts unreasonably - the importer can only work with that dealer but ultimately, it's the dealer who has the final say. Any problems then have to be addressed with the dealer. It's not right to blame Skoda UK for something outside their control.    

Are you saying that the garage have acknowledged the latch doesn't close or are you saying they can't replicate the problem?  Put yourself in the place of their mechanic. A customer says their tailgate often fails to latch. They give you the car, you check it out and everything appears OK. You open and close the tailgate many times and the latch works fine on every occasion. What's your solution? What do you say to the customer? 

You also say the hatch opened whilst driving. Has this been on several occasions or just the once?  I'm not sure if this is possible,  but if it only opened on the one occasion, the 'open boot' button on the key fob, or the one on the drivers door couldn't have been accidentally pressed could it?  I wouldn't have thought it should be possible to open the boot whilst the car was moving but all vehicles have logical oversights of some sort.    

The Warranty requires you to take the vehicle to an Authorised Repairer.  Not necessarily to where you purchased a New Vehicle.

The Warranty provider can authorise the work under warranty or allow the Authorised repairer to decide if it is Warranty work or the vehicles owner will be paying for work.

Forget about Importers and read and understand the warranty terms. 

SKODA_Warranty_Terms_November_2021 (1).pdf

Best to Read and Understand the Warranty and that includes 'Exclusions'. 

Also your legal rights in the UK.

Screenshot 2022-01-26 07.59.42.jpg

Screenshot 2022-01-26 08.01.50.jpg

Edited by roottoot

I completely understand the problem with the tailgate as I myself could not replicate the non latching on  the dealers forecourt, but I'm convinced the day after I take it home it will happen again. I have always checked to ensure nothing is fouling the tailgate ( just in case its my fault ) but there never is. It fails to latch at least twice per month so I was expecting a slight adjustment was required. As far as the tailgate opening whist I was driving is concerned, it has only happened once. I put some shopping bags in the boot and closed the tailgate but when I drove away, after just a few yards it suddenly opened completely. I have no idea if thats supposed to be impossible or not but the fact is it happened. My key was in the centre consol bin and I certainly didnt touch it or the door switch so who knows???

I am a very patient retired engineer so I do find these things very frustrating mainly because I have always prided myself on giving my customers excellent service. There does not seem to be any sense of urgency at my dealership and Skoda UK told me I had to deal with the dealership during the warranty period. I would never have got away with such a casual non interested approach in my profession. I guess in a couple of months I can fix it myself.

• Like 1