Weird clicking/popping sound O4, vRS Estate Petrol DSG

Hey, people,

A bit of a weird popping or clicking sound appeared on my O4 vRS Estate Petrol DSG. HArd to explain, so here's a short video from the dashcam:

It comes somewhere from the dashboard area but couldn't find any trend or reason for that. Thought it could be from an AC flap, as it was set to auto, but it's not that, as I turned it off and it still appeared randomly... Any ideas?

I heard a similar sound today (for the first time) followed with an Error SOS message on the virtual cockpit. The sound was short like yours and the error message only lasted a few seconds and then went away. It sounded like it came from near the SOS button.

I'll keep an ear out to see if it happens again.

• Like 1

Thanks, Mark. Yeah, it could come from that area - I couldn't specify where exactly it came from as it happened so quick, while I was driving. The only thing I can tell for sure is that it's coming from somewhere in the front.

Whatever it is, it sounds like it's occuring pretty close to your dashcam. Not encountered your error before, but have you had any issues with your SOS function?

24 minutes ago, Aarond said:

Whatever it is, it sounds like it's occuring pretty close to your dashcam. Not encountered your error before, but have you had any issues with your SOS function?

Yep, the SOS error started appearing last Friday. I've heard the sound before but it seems it started happening more often after Friday... or maybe I started noticing it more, not sure, lol.

It definitely comes from the front, and I thought it was near the dashboard, but now that you mentioned it, it definitely is quite close to the dashcam, which is mounted right next to the rear view mirror (to the left of it). I will have a look around the usb port in the mirror mount. It sounds like a relay switch, yet the only switch near the rear view mirror is the SOS button by the looks of it...

1 hour ago, Aarond said:

Ooh well, at least you may know what the issue is now. Hopefully clicking Boise's don't annoy you too much (I don't)! 

Well, we will see about that if and when Skoda issues a fix... Between the clicking sound, the baby crying, and the Mrs moaning, I think I prefer the loud music, lol

56 minutes ago, AndyT60 said:

Did the SOS error knock out your infotainment system?

Of course - all inclusive...

There is a temporary quick diy fix for the SOS error, turn on ignition, press the SoS button above your head, and cancel the call only when you hear the voice message giving you the option to cancel. This should lead to a reboot of your infotainment system shortly after. Happened to me a couple of times and this fixed it for a short while, at least I have my phone and music until my vin number is called in to get the  software update.

• Like 1

Interesting. I sometimes get this popping sound on my 1.5 SEL 1st edition and I thought it was the radio. It's not that often and I have not had the SOS call error. That was until this morning when I was on my way to the shops. By the time I returned to the car, the error had disappeared and the green light above my head was on again.  Another mysterious goings-on...

• Groan 1

So another update from me...

Went to the Peak District this weekend - nice view, eh? :D20210712_183947.thumb.jpg.4a5144817d7fde2cd3a4a9923c9f3767.jpg

Anyways, so overall I did 471 miles and heard the popping sound only once. Straight away the SOS light started flashing red, but did not get the error on the screen. Probably a few seconds later, the light went solid green again. There was an software update available, which did not provide any info of what's included. Installed it on Sunday, when we came back home as the reception was better. No new version on the infotainment, though... the same as before:

20210712_182308.thumb.jpg.db9666114e444044f345710ff0ed84a5.jpg

Yet, today got the full experience again - a double pop and the SOS error with the error message. Did the try the fix @AndyT60 suggested and it worked, but after a couple of tries.

Well, that's it from me for the moment. Thought to give you all an update. 

• Like 2

Hi Tishout, I am glad the SOS fix worked for you. Alancha, posted this fix on this forum and I believe it will help a lot of people whilst we wait the full software upgrade which is currently being done by vin number.

I also had the small software update, didn’t take long to load and didn’t, as you say,identify what it resolved!

I'm also in the peaks with the same car, boom! Also consider taking out fuses 19 (infotainment) and 30 (SOS module) for over ten minutes, I had errors when I first picked mine up and since trying this after a few days I've never had any SOS errors since. I might have the numbers for the modules mixed up (had a few drinks), but be careful with the 7.5amp fuse as it's super tiny: I dropped mine and it was a ballache to find 

• Like 1

Yeah man, you have to be a bit forceful with the glove box to pop it open. Also don't forget to reconnect the slow release arm thingy on the right hand side when you're finished (you'll know what I mean when you see it). 

I had this issue. I posted on it a few weeks ago. I started making a log of faults. I had problems on every journey   Double clicking from dash, sos system fault message, sat nav, acc issues.   Then it stopped!  Not had a problem for nearly 2k miles.  The only thing I did  between it constantly faulting and working fine was let a load of air out of the overinflated tyres (tip on this site re poor pdi’s for new vehicles).  Coincidence surely?   I’m beginning to love the car now. (2.0 tdi 150 SEL hatch, averaging 60mpg since new)

• Like 1

Funny (sort of) thing happened today. The usual pop and SOS system freeze two times closely to each other. The first time, the SOS restarted by itself, the second - got the error message on the dashboard and that was it. As I was driving, I tried pressing the SOS button - no effect. A few minutes later, though, the system restarted and an SOS call was initiated without me being able to cancel it... So after a short chat with a nice guy at 999, during which I appologised and explained what had happened, he ended the call.

So, long story short, be careful when pushing the SOS button, even when it's inactive. I guess, I will have to play with the fuses...

1 hour ago, Tishout said:

Funny (sort of) thing happened today. The usual pop and SOS system freeze two times closely to each other. The first time, the SOS restarted by itself, the second - got the error message on the dashboard and that was it. As I was driving, I tried pressing the SOS button - no effect. A few minutes later, though, the system restarted and an SOS call was initiated without me being able to cancel it... So after a short chat with a nice guy at 999, during which I appologised and explained what had happened, he ended the call.

So, long story short, be careful when pushing the SOS button, even when it's inactive. I guess, I will have to play with the fuses...

I’d report the call to 999 to Skoda, if anything is going to give them a kick up the arse it’s peoples cars calling the emergency services and wasting their time. If the call couldn’t be cancelled the time wasting is Skoda’s fault

Edited by VinzClortho
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, Rednose66 said:

My mate who has a 2l went to the agents in Slough and they have apparently applied a software fix. When I'm back for longer I'll be doing the same as the noise is one of s number of niggles I have with mine.

Did the software fix solved the issue?

The popping/sos fault has just returned to my car after nearly a month of trouble free motoring 😬

also had the sat nav losing position. Strange how it mirrors its faulty location on the Skoda sat nav and google maps through apple car play

• Groan 2