Weird clicking/popping sound O4, vRS Estate Petrol DSG

1 minute ago, StevieG32b said:

The popping/sos fault has just returned to my car after nearly a month of trouble free motoring 😬

also had the sat nav losing position. Strange how it mirrors its faulty location on the Skoda sat nav and google maps through apple car play

Yeah, had a similar issue with the positioning in Android Auto, but the car SatNav was fine, so I think it was Android's issue...

On 22/07/2021 at 11:49, Tishout said:

Yeah, had a similar issue with the positioning in Android Auto, but the car SatNav was fine, so I think it was Android's issue...

Not Android, I don't use it and use an Apple company phone, it's just the rubbish software that plagues this car. Mine is a short term company car replacement so I don't much care but if I paid money for this otherwise excellent car I would reject it. A pity because while in many ways this is better than my Superb the software is so poor it makes it dangerous.

Well I’ve booked my car in for a software update “fix” for the sos system fault. It’s happened 6 times in the last 7 days. The service centre said I was the 5th that day and they’d taken 8 further bookings in the last couple of days for the fault

10 hours ago, StevieG32b said:

Well I’ve booked my car in for a software update “fix” for the sos system fault. It’s happened 6 times in the last 7 days. The service centre said I was the 5th that day and they’d taken 8 further bookings in the last couple of days for the fault

Interesting... so is there an official update available already? As I tried to book mine a month ago, they said it was a known issue, but no update was available, so they'll book me in when an update comes... wonder if I should chase Skoda Driveline again...

Edited by Tishout
Typos

Yes it might be worth asking again. Unless I’m being fobbed off with a software update that won’t solve the issue.  If that turns out to be the case, there will be a lot of other disappointed customers too. Here’s hoping that it does fix the fault(s)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks, I have experienced this popping for some time now but it was only recently when the SOS error appeared on the dashboard.  The error disappeared when I drove the car a couple of days later.  But today, I was driving pass Heathrow and it popped again and the SOS error appeared.  About 20 minutes later, my satnav had a meltdown.  I was on the M25 about to turn off onto the A3 and it kept recalculating the route and told me to "turn around if possible", "take the next left to XXX Street", "take the 2nd exit of the roundabout and go onto the A217".... Good job I knew my way by then...

2 hours ago, Pibo said:

Hi folks, I have experienced this popping for some time now but it was only recently when the SOS error appeared on the dashboard.  The error disappeared when I drove the car a couple of days later.  But today, I was driving pass Heathrow and it popped again and the SOS error appeared.  About 20 minutes later, my satnav had a meltdown.  I was on the M25 about to turn off onto the A3 and it kept recalculating the route and told me to "turn around if possible", "take the next left to XXX Street", "take the 2nd exit of the roundabout and go onto the A217".... Good job I knew my way by then...

I’ve had these exact symptoms with the sat nav sometimes after I have the sos fault, which is happening on a daily basis at the moment

Hello all, I too had the popping noise and then the subsequent SOS error. I took it in last Monday 2nd Aug for some updates and that seems to have done the trick, I did let them know before hand about it.

So far (touch wood) its seems to have been fixed, used my car pretty much everyday since no sign of any issues.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lickspeed50 said:

Hello all, I too had the popping noise and then the subsequent SOS error. I took it in last Monday 2nd Aug for some updates and that seems to have done the trick, I did let them know before hand about it.

So far (touch wood) its seems to have been fixed, used my car pretty much everyday since no sign of any issues.

Thanks for letting us know. Can you share your current software version please?

39 minutes ago, StevieG32b said:

That sounds encouraging. Mine goes in tomorrow for the software “fix”.  Fingers crossed

Fingers crossed, mate. Do share afterwards how it went and what the latest version is...

1 minute ago, StevieG32b said:

Ok so I had my software update on Friday. 300 mile round trip yesterday fault free and no problems today on 2 journeys.  I’m hopeful that the SOS fault issue is fixed. 😀

Sounds cool! What's the software version now?

This is what shows on my system screen which I believe is unchanged.   The guy at the service centre said it was caused by the switch over to 5G masts by some service providers. The double click was caused by a control unit that connects with Skoda central not working properly due to these changes.  That’s why lots more people are reporting the sos system fault. 

24 minutes ago, StevieG32b said:

This is what shows on my system screen which I believe is unchanged. 

... because that screen shows only the software version of the infotainment system, not he software versions of ANY of the other (and there are a lot) of modules in the car.

IMHO trying to keep track of software updates to other modules by looking at the infotainment system version is pointless and misleading.

Mine was in for a full day of software updates a couple of weeks ago, even though I've been lucky enough not to have had any issues with the car really, (apart from a badly factory fitted wire). The only thing I had noticed afterwards was every now and then when I unlocked and opened the door, any door, there was a noise from the speakers and the only way I can describe it was like a short burst of machine gun fire!

Didn't really bother me so haven't done anything about it but on a long journey  on the way back from the coast yesterday I started getting the double popping noise and then the SOS alert. It started to make a call but then cut itself off before a connection was made. This happened about 4 times before it had a meltdown then I lost all the infotainment and radio etc.

So, despite apparently having all the latest software updates I have to book it in again this morning to see if they can sort this one out!

10 minutes ago, Fishcann said:

Mine was in for a full day of software updates a couple of weeks ago, even though I've been lucky enough not to have had any issues with the car really, (apart from a badly factory fitted wire). The only thing I had noticed afterwards was every now and then when I unlocked and opened the door, any door, there was a noise from the speakers and the only way I can describe it was like a short burst of machine gun fire!

Didn't really bother me so haven't done anything about it but on a long journey  on the way back from the coast yesterday I started getting the double popping noise and then the SOS alert. It started to make a call but then cut itself off before a connection was made. This happened about 4 times before it had a meltdown then I lost all the infotainment and radio etc.

So, despite apparently having all the latest software updates I have to book it in again this morning to see if they can sort this one out!

Ah that’s bad on Skoda’s account. I would report that back to the service/repair centre.  I can only presume that’s there’s a specific software module for this fix and that wasn’t part of the upgrades they did. 
Hopefully they can fix it with another visit 😬. No recurrence for me since I had the software fix. 

Good luck. 

• Like 1

Has anyone had any luck with getting this issue fixed? I have 21 Octavia which I use for work (taxi) so I get the popping a few times a day then I get the error message which leads to all infotainment system not working once the engine goes off, which leads to very quiet journeys. But with my message I get a highlighted picture of the steering column? It’s been in for updates I just seem to be getting fobbed off 

354F120F-6129-417B-A3B3-12E5F33B0307.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Joshkea9 said:

Has anyone had any luck with getting this issue fixed? I have 21 Octavia which I use for work (taxi) so I get the popping a few times a day then I get the error message which leads to all infotainment system not working once the engine goes off, which leads to very quiet journeys. But with my message I get a highlighted picture of the steering column? It’s been in for updates I just seem to be getting fobbed off 

354F120F-6129-417B-A3B3-12E5F33B0307.jpeg

I hate to tempt fate but yes my car was booked in for a specific software-only update to solve this problem. So far it hasn’t happened again since the update

JoshKea9 - you don’t have to put up with quiet journeys, there is a short-term fix to re-set the infotainment system after an SoS related lock up. Press the emergency SoS red button above your head, after a short..ish wait you will hear a voice confirming the sos call and giving you a option to press again to cancel. Press to cancel at this point and you should find your infotainment system comes back online. This should keep you going  (it will happen again) until the software fix.