Skoda Members' opinion is required

the second part in thermostat housing in felicia plastic part is flat not like favorit have thermostat place that i make with red dot

yes the thermostat is installed as i bring the outer part from favorit with the second plastic part but  always there is a leak between two parts so i asked what is the sequence  ?

second i want opinion of recommended thermal silicon ?

115052010.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 08/08/2021 at 20:34, captain_crunch said:

the second part in thermostat housing in felicia plastic part is flat not like favorit have thermostat place that i make with red dot

yes the thermostat is installed as i bring the outer part from favorit with the second plastic part but  always there is a leak between two parts so i asked what is the sequence  ?

second i want opinion of recommended thermal silicon ?

115052010.jpg

have a nice day 

tell us what's new's i got it from spain 

• 2 months later...

Sorry for not getting back to sonner cause of compelling reasons

i make coolant flush about 2 weeks ago and everything was ok but after a while 2 issues have happend

1- the radiator fan spend about 5 to 10 seconds and shut off  it should take longer than that about 1m fan switch was (88-79) try another fan switch 82-92 (for testing) the same and try the orginal fan switch 95-97(for testing) the same  finally try the old lower fanswitch that i have (68-82) the fan kicks and take normal time and shut off

2- after the car warm i hear hissing come form expansion coolant cap some opinions tell me that is normal others tell me bad cap and others tell me a nightmare ((head gasket))

the cap is orginal come with the car

i have some probabilites

1- that cap is bad and on  certian temperature begin to make airpockets in coolant system and cause fan time problem

2- all three fanswitch (79-88) (95-97) (82-92) are bad as the (68-82) work well

3- head gasket problem ☠️

need members opinion as hard to tell what is the problem

1 - Yes that could be, or if the expansion tank is plastic could it perhaps have a slight split on a seam or at threads for cap.

2 - It is possible that the three switches could be bad but doubtful.  It depends on the location of the switch as to the temperature range required, better to kick in sooner than later in a hot climate.  There might be air in the system at the location point of the switch in which case this could alter how and which switch operates.  Have you checked that you have not left any cloths or paper in the cooling system from protecting openings from debris getting in

3 - Inexpensive leak tester kits will give a good idea of gases in the coolant - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124318737523

or https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124392170566

HTH.

Edited by nta16

5 hours ago, nta16 said:

1 - Yes that could be, or if the expansion tank is plastic could it perhaps have a slight split on a seam or at threads for cap.

2 - It is possible that the three switches could be bad but doubtful.  It depends on the location of the switch as to the temperature range required, better to kick in sooner than later in a hot climate.  There might be air in the system at the location point of the switch in which case this could alter how and which switch operates.  Have you checked that you have not left any cloths or paper in the cooling system from protecting openings from debris getting in

3 - Inexpensive leak tester kits will give a good idea of gases in the coolant - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124318737523

or https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124392170566

HTH.

thx for quick response  but i wonder is hissing from cap is normal i tried another one ((after market)) no hissing sounds

also today when car is cold when opening the cap i hear tiny pressure sound is that suppose to be ok

Is it the original expansion tank the car was built with? If so, check the neck of the expansion tank with a fingertip, feeling for an indentation where the cap's o-ring has been sitting. It may be that there is such a groove, and it is leaking because the o-ring has more of a gap to fill than it was designed to.

• Like 1

Well it's not normal and it happens on my felly thus ive concluded that there is a minor hg leak. 

To test it I filled the expansion tank to the brim warmed it up revved it and watched for bubbles which a tiny guy came out every 60 or so secs

24 minutes ago, Wino said:

Is it the original expansion tank the car was built with? If so, check the neck of the expansion tank with a fingertip, feeling for an indentation where the cap's o-ring has been sitting. It may be that there is such a groove, and it is leaking because the o-ring has more of a gap to fill than it was designed to.

yes it is the orgianl expansion tank

sorry didnt get the steps to check expansion tank

Look at the cap and where the sealing o-ring is. If it's like later designs, it seals radially outwards against the inside of the neck of the tank. The point where it presses on the tank  neck may be worn/indented due to years of pressure and heat cycles.  Fingertip may feel this.

I'm not sure that the Felicia cap is designed this way, but easy to see.

Edited by Wino

21 minutes ago, Thefeliciahacker said:

Well it's not normal and it happens on my felly thus ive concluded that there is a minor hg leak. 

To test it I filled the expansion tank to the brim warmed it up revved it and watched for bubbles which a tiny guy came out every 60 or so secs

high probability its head gasket leak but i have no trouble with temprature and rad hoses is flexible on warm temp plus water level is ok

but as i mentioned before laggy respond on high speed could all of this due to tiny escape pressure form head gasket

1-i will fill the expansion tank with water to the top after that i wait until operating temp

2-it suppose no bubbles come out if im not wrong but if i rev up water will split out due to water pump spinning i think keep it on idle until finish test

correct to me if im wrong

15 minutes ago, Wino said:

Look at the cap and where the sealing o-ring is. If it's like later designs, it seals radially outwards against the inside of the neck of the tank. The point where it presses on the tank  neck may be worn/indented due to years of pressure and heat cycles.  Fingertip may feel this.

I'm not sure that the Felicia cap is designed this way, but easy to see.

ok i will take a look thx

3 minutes ago, captain_crunch said:

high probability its head gasket leak but i have no trouble with temprature and rad hoses is flexible on warm temp plus water level is ok

but as i mentioned before laggy respond on high speed could all of this due to tiny escape pressure form head gasket

1-i will fill the expansion tank with water to the top after that i wait until operating temp

2-it suppose no bubbles come out if im not wrong but if i rev up water will split out due to water pump spinning i think keep it on idle until finish test

The problem with all this is that your cooling system is under positive pressure when the car is at operating temperature. That is why one of the alternative names for the "radiator cap" is the "pressure cap". What @Wino is describing above is a mechanism whereby this cap can leak pressure, giving the symptoms you describe, but the issue is not HGF, rather either the neck of the expansion tank is worn or the cap itself needs replaced. Both of these jobs are way cheaper, easier and faster than replacing the head gasket.

• Like 1

I think the radial-seal cap o-ring may not be applicable to Felicia, having looked at some google images.

An easy test that may well indicate a HG problem is to check for residual pressure in the expansion tank several hours after the car was last driven (overnight for example). There should be no such pressure.

3 minutes ago, Wino said:

here should be no such pressure

He said there is pressure and I'm very positive he has the same issues as me

20 minutes ago, captain_crunch said:

if i rev up water will split out due to water pump spinning i think keep it on idle until finish test

Some will but you are looking for bubbles 

22 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

The problem with all this is that your cooling system is under positive pressure when the car is at operating temperature. That is why one of the alternative names for the "radiator cap" is the "pressure cap". What @Wino is describing above is a mechanism whereby this cap can leak pressure, giving the symptoms you describe, but the issue is not HGF, rather either the neck of the expansion tank is worn or the cap itself needs replaced. Both of these jobs are way cheaper, easier and faster than replacing the head gasket.

thx for quick response for me i bless god that head gasket is fine as the engine not removed before i think head gaske job not a complicated task in general but for me it will be a nightmare for reasons

1- i will  not find the orginal head gasket i think its name tmac all in my country (aftermarket)

2- i see couple of videos when technicians do head gasket job they put certain torque on head screws as the manufacture said but local mechanics in my country  havent this culture

3- some time head screws needed to be changed

4- nothing isnt compared with the manfacture itself they have their secrets and thier tools

i want to say im afraid it will be a weak point in my felicia it will be a nightmare

Edited by captain_crunch

17 minutes ago, Thefeliciahacker said:

He said there is pressure and I'm very positive he has the same issues as me

Some will but you are looking for bubbles 

yes i will record a video  when i test and share with members but for worst case could gasket block sealer will solve the problem or it will be waste of money and time

12 minutes ago, captain_crunch said:

tmac

Payen or Victor reinz

12 minutes ago, captain_crunch said:

havent this culture

You can't do head gasket without a torque wrench period

13 minutes ago, captain_crunch said:

a weak point in my felicia it will be a nightmare

Fear not 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Thefeliciahacker said:

Don't ever use this sh@t

6 minutes ago, Thefeliciahacker said:

Payen or Victor reinz

You can't do head gasket without a torque wrench period

Fear not 

that is problem

but let us dont be quick in our judgement may be head gasket ok i will do test and see what it will show

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KenONeill said:

either the neck of the expansion tank is worn or the cap itself needs replaced. Both of these jobs are way cheaper, easier and faster than replacing the head gasket.

That is why I put to check around the threads on the expansion tank if it's plastic and plastic cap, also for slight split there or at any seam.

When I had my Skoda Estelles new back in the mid-to late 1980s I think I had to replace the blue(?) or brown(?) (I forget) plastic pressure cap otherwise (HGF) head gasket failure would have been considered.

I have had 5 HGFs and only one had the usual notable symptoms appear in time, the others were more obvious with hindsight but too late by then.

I saw someone with a "classic" car that was not driven much but had just returned from a trip of hundreds of miles and on seeing it I said I thought it had HGF and he said it had been that way for 18 months so he had hardly driven it since then - so do not always expect to see text book symptoms.  For your issue if it is not the cap or tank then that inexpensive test kit I linked to before may help with finding HGF if you have that.

The leak sealant probably will not work if the leak is with the plastic tank and not required if you just need to replace the cap.

Edited by nta16
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, nta16 said:

That is why I put to check around the threads on the expansion tank if it's plastic and plastic cap, also for slight split there or at any seam.

When I had my Skoda Estelles new back in the mid-to late 1980s I think I had to replace the blue(?) or brown(?) (I forget) plastic pressure cap otherwise (HGF) head gasket failure would have been considered.

I have had 5 HGFs and only one had the usual notable symptoms appear in time, the others were more obvious with hindsight but too late by then.

I saw someone with a "classic" car that was not driven much but had just returned from a trip of hundreds of miles and on seeing it I said I thought it had HGF and he said it had been that way for 18 months so he had hardly driven it since then - so do not always expect to see text book symptoms.  For your issue if it is not the cap or tank then that inexpensive test kit I linked to before may help with finding HGF if you have that.

The leak sealant probably will not work if the leak is with the plastic tank and not required if you just need to replace the cap.

you mean leak in the plastic tank you mean a crack cause this leak

39 minutes ago, captain_crunch said:

you mean leak in the plastic tank

Yes as a possibility.

39 minutes ago, captain_crunch said:

you mean a crack cause this leak

Sorry I am not sure what leak you mean but that could cause a leak of pressure, fluid leak would probably leave evidence marking, unless it is steam.

Edited by nta16
  • Like 1

hi all sounds like head gasket problem i fill the expansion tank 

1-start the car as it  cold

https://streamable.com/8wajks every thing is nice no bubbles and clear

2- after car become idle and Choke off and thermostat still not open

https://streamable.com/5vcsjt

3-after 10 min when thermostat begin opening bubbles is clear

https://streamable.com/ffv2vh

4- after the fan kicks and shut off also their is buubles

https://streamable.com/vjc61k

is it head gasket 100% or could be bad radiator or manifold issues air pockets due to anything

I am NOT an expert, to me that was not conclusive of HGF (at all) - others may know better.

Please though, please hold the phone in landscape  < - - landscape - - > not portrait as you have it as it will then show more generally (you are videoing an engine not some "celebrity" or "star").

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, nta16 said:

I am NOT an expert, to me that was not conclusive of HGF (at all) - others may know better.

Please though, please hold the phone in landscape  < - - landscape - - > not portrait as you have it as it will then show more generally (you are videoing an engine not some "celebrity" or "star").

thx