COP 26 to be held in Glasgow From 31st October - 12th November 2021. Are the Governments taking climate change & pollution / emissions seriously.

Ootohere

13 minutes ago, roottoot said:

Skoda (VW Group) can build the cars to use the fuels to suit the markets.

G-Tec.

I'd buy into this honestly. Reminds me a little of running veg oil in a Fabia SDI, or when Stagecoach ran the 52 bus on it and you could smell it when the bus went past. :D

Couple of climate-change related vids I've watched recently, not sure how many of the delegates at COP26 will be across these issues with a financially disinterested view?

And another:

The last minute of that last one is well worth listening to if you haven't time for anything more.

Edited by Wino
  • Like 1

The people providing energy for Industry and Commerce know about producing and using Hydrogen for those that use lots of Electric, Oil & Gas and even coal still.

There are people today at COP26 discussing the Green Hydrogen for Big Buildings heating, Heavy Plant, Shipping and Planes, trains and Heavy vehicles etc and not homes.

The reason being that the Electricity can be produced and it needs to not be from fossil fuels. 

• Like 1

Greta and the Greenwash at COP26 of the leaders who talk the talk but then fly by private jet etc .....

"Greenwashing"  From Wikipedia

Greenwashing (a compound word modelled on "whitewash"), also called "green sheen",[1][2] is a form of marketing spin in which green PR and green marketing are deceptively used to persuade the public that an organization's products, aims and policies are environmentally friendly.

Great

• Like 1

COP 26 concludes tomorrow and Alok can get back to his day job of being an MP serving his constituents. Perhaps he'll even be looking at other MPs who are or are not serving their constituents from the warmer climes of the British Virgin Islands who may or may not be involved in allegations of sleaze or corruption.

Highlight was Alexander de Pfeffel Johnson flying back to London for an important dinner with a pal who may or may not be a climate change denier but the next week taking the train back as it's slower and there was a thing about corruption being debated in Parliament he wanted to not go to.

That and his other comments to the press from COP on Wednesday informing the press that Britain isn't corrupt.

A bit like Nixon saying 'I am not a crook'.

Time will tell if it was worthwhile. Let's hope so.

• Like 2

What a p1ss take if things can only be talked about once a year at a 'summit' and sometime bi-annually if a COP needs delayed because of a world wide pandemic.

The Truth of the matter is that the 120 odd leaders of countries can talk about anything anytime if they bother to.

As can the lackeys that are at it all the time having a wee tete-a-tete as they travel about the world.

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, roottoot said:

Activist deflated tyres of 'luxury vehicles' parked in Glasgow.  Reported as a number of SUV,s in the cities upmarket West end.

My Fabia will be alright then on Sunday. :D

Otherwise, yes, that's not right if you ask me. Wouldn't they be adding to the pollution because the deflated or slashed tyres would need to be "recycled"?

Edited by AnnoyingPentium
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, roottoot said:

Activist deflated tyres of 'luxury vehicles' parked in Glasgow.  Reported as a number of SUV,s in the cities upmarket West end.  So that will give them something to smile about as they walk, cycle, sail or paddle their ways home. 

interestingly one of the guys the BBC interviewed about that who was affected was a Pharmacist who appeared to be using his SUV to ensure prescriptions etc. got to those that needed them...   I'd suggest that was a valid use of an SUV and not just an 'unnecessary lifestyle' that the activists suggested.

It's a bit like us and our Kodiaq - necessary due to a life with a kid with significant disabilities and the consequential need to carry stuff and get to hospital etc. in any weather condition...  we could have got a smaller estate vehicle but at the time couldn't find a 4x4 estate one in budget...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-59254298

Edited by skomaz
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, skomaz said:

Pharmacist who appeared to be using his SUV to ensure prescriptions etc. got to those that needed them...   I'd suggest that was a valid use of an SUV and not just an 'unnecessary lifestyle' that the activists suggested.

Contrarywise - 2 of my local pharmacists offer a home delivery service. One uses a VW Caddy van and the other a Ford Focus hatchback.

1 hour ago, KenONeill said:

Contrarywise - 2 of my local pharmacists offer a home delivery service. One uses a VW Caddy van and the other a Ford Focus hatchback.

One of the local pharmacies offers delivery via ancient Corsavan down here.

1 hour ago, KenONeill said:

Fair enough - presumably equipped with winter tyres etc. but it depends on topography and weather as to whether they'd be successful in all weathers and in an emergency.  Locals with pickups and 4x4s were having to ferry people to the hospitals not long back due to snow and the 15% and more inclines we have (our road is steeper in places at about 22%).  We did have an emergency ambulance try to get up the road at one stage in snow recently and a group of us had to dig the road clear for them even though they were equipped with winter tyres etc.  In the end we left the ambulance where it was and got the stretcher to the patient and back to the ambulance.

Edited by skomaz
  • Like 1

Back on Topic....                                                  Luke warm end to COP26...........   https://news.un.org/en/story/2021/11/1105792   

1.5 degrees, but with ‘a weak pulse’ 

“Negotiations are never easy…this is the nature of consensus and multilateralism”, said Patricia Espinosa, the Executive Secretary of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC).  She stressed that for every announcement made during the past two weeks, the expectation is that the implementation “plans and the fine print” will follow.  “Let us enjoy what we accomplished but also prepare for what is coming,” Ms. Espinosa said, after recognizing the advancements on adaptation, among others.  Meanwhile, COP26 President Alok Sharma stated that delegations could say “with credibility” that they have kept 1.5 degrees within reach.  “But its pulse is weak. And it will only survive if we keep our promises. If we translate commitments into rapid action. If we deliver on the expectations set out in this Glasgow Climate Pact to increase ambition to 2030 and beyond. And if we close the vast gap that remains, as we must,” he told delegates.  He then quoted Prime Minister Mia Mottley, who earlier in the conference had said that for Barbados and other small island states, ‘two degrees is a death sentence.’  With that in mind, Mr. Sharma asked delegates to continue their efforts to get finance flowing and boost adaptation.   He concluded by saying that history has been made in Glasgow.   “We must now ensure that the next chapter charts the success of the commitments we have solemnly made together in the Glasgow Climate Pact, he declared.

The ‘least worst’ outcome

Earlier during the conference's final stocktaking plenary, many countries lamented that the package of agreed decisions was not enough. Some called it "disappointing", but overall, said they recognized it was balanced for what could be agreed at this moment in time and given their differences. Countries like Nigeria, Palau, the Philippines, Chile and Turkey all said that although there were imperfections, they broadly supported the text.  “It is (an) incremental step forward but not in line with the progress needed. It will be too late for the Maldives. This deal does not bring hope to our hearts,” said the Maldives’ top negotiator in a bittersweet speech.  US climate envoy John Kerry said the text “is a powerful statement” and assured delegates that his country will engage constructively in a dialogue on "loss and damage" and adaptation, two of issues that proved most difficult for the negotiators to agree upon.   “The text represents the ‘least worst’ outcome,” concluded the top negotiator from New Zealand.

Road to Hell - https://youtu.be/gUUdQfnshJ4

Edited by lol-lol
  • Thanks 1

Just now, AnnoyingPentium said:

That album is amazing. 'That's What They Always Say' is still a personal favourite for me. Anyway, back on topic. :)

I was particularly disappointed that the richer Western world did not offer substantial project funding to install Wind, solar and battery storage.

Perhaps the UK will fudge our overseas budget and put it back to at least 1% but define part of needs to go to Carbon reducing projects.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lol-lol said:

I was particularly disappointed that the richer Western world did not offer substantial project funding to install Wind, solar and battery storage.

It doesn't surprise me, however. :D