Shortages UK

@Lee

Shortages UK  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK rejoin the Single Market and Customs Union to help alleviate impacts of Brexit?

• Yes
    • No

Floods are one matter,  but this is taking the p1SS and poo.  

Boris crap gathering is what is needed. 

Get the UK's infrastructure sorted, sewage, flood controls and drinking waters. 

January 2020.

Feb 2020.

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 1

https://edinburghlive.co.uk/news/edinburgh-news/dalkeith-residents-fume-after-video-18717232

About 30 years ago i knew where the tankers with sewage from Perth took it to near Dundee so that it went untreated into the Tay but nearer the sea.

I thought practices like transporting crap & putting into other areas drainage systems were in the past.

Crap needs to go someplace..

Here a Developers issue.

https://thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/perth-kinross/1999009/raw-sewage-seeps-on-to-kinross-shire-estate-as-tankers-called-in-over-drainage-problems

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, @Lee said:

Worked at a lot of places you haven't you? 

Over 31 years as a civil engineer yes...   I've been involved in the design and construction of highways, hospitals, residential sites, water treatment works, sewage works, steelworks, flood defences, steel structures, reinforced concret structures, pumping stations and more, plus i've managed numerical modelling projects and environmental impact assessments, environmental statements and have been an environmental coordinator for major projects.

All across the country from Northumberland to Brighton and Holyhead to Hull.

So yes I do have a lot of knowledge and experience compared to many people who are armchair experts.

But i'm also aware ofwhere my limitations and lack of knowledge are so keep schtum at times...   Unlike some.

Cheers

PS.  Prior to theabove i worked for a major aerospace, defence and mining company so also have basic knowledge of aircraft undercarriage, mining equipment and aircraft fuel systems.

Edited by skomaz
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, cheezemonkhai said:

It was here last week, but 10p jump for half term 😕

Sounds like trying to make a quick buck over the school holidays...   Not nice!

2 minutes ago, skomaz said:

Over 31 years as a civil engineer yes...   I've been involved in the design and construction of highways, hospitals, residential sites, water treatment works, sewage works, steelworks, flood defences, steel structures, reinforced concret structures, pumping stations and more, plus i've managed numerical modelling projects and environmental impact assessments, environmental statements and have been an environmental coordinator for major projects.

All across the country from Northumberland to Brighton and Holyhead to Hull.

So yes I do have a lot of knowledge and experience compared to many people who are armchair experts.

But i'm also aware ofwhere my limitations and lack of knowledge are so keep schtum at times...   Unlike some.

Cheers

Does any of your expertise in civil engineering qualify you to talk about water treatment plants and how they operate and which chemicals they do or don't use or is it limited to shuttering and pouring concrete?

1 minute ago, skomaz said:

That's been going on for years at least down south. 

4 minutes ago, @Lee said:

Does any of your expertise in civil engineering qualify you to talk about water treatment plants and how they operate and which chemicals they do or don't use or is it limited to shuttering and pouring concrete?

That's been going on for years at least down south. 

Yes...   As you need to know how the process works to be able to design it and the equipment.

Shuttering and pouring concrete is for the lads on site, not the designers or Engineers.

I guess it would be like asking you if your telecoms experience was limited to wiring a plug

Edited by skomaz
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, skomaz said:

Yes...   As you need to know how the process works to be able to design it and the equipment.

You must know lots about how lots works and is run and operated then. I hope you keep up to date with all the changes.

As for 'armchair experts', it's not difficult to use the internet nor listen to experts on the news or wherever. I seem to recall you saying you don't follow the news that much. That's up to you but some of us do.

I'm still waiting for an armchair expert to come up with a better alternative to the Single Market. Perhaps your vast knowledge of civil engineering effluent can come up with an alternative?

Edited by @Lee
  • Groan 1

10 hours ago, skomaz said:

On LBC last night the nighty financial slot around 5.30pm said retailers had also added an average of 6p/litre to recover costs from last year's shutdowns on top of the lovely fuel accelerator which sees 60% of a litre price going to HMRC. 

Certainly making lots of people I know relook at electric cars. 

• Sad 2

42 minutes ago, gadgetman said:

Apparently work are introducing some sort of salary sacrifice scheme for EVs in the new year.  I don't know details yet but some colleagues have expressed an interest...

Yes the bank holidy/half term/school holidays price jump is normal, but usually it's 1-3p per litre, then back down after.
This appears to be a full 10p in just over a week.

To be honest, we'd always been looking at one of the cars going electric. Before it was the low use car, but now it's certainly not off the books for it to be the higher mileage car. On the other side, they are massive and not a huge amount of fun to drive 😞

Edited by cheezemonkhai
  • Confused 1

There is going to be a shortage / delay in delivery of new EV's in the UK and a price rise in Asking / buying prices of used ones.

A rise can be expected in the cost of Public / Commercial Charging. 

There is certainly no shortage of fun available when driving EV's at UK NSL's or above and they come in all sizes & kerb weights now from 2 seaters to 8 or 9 seaters,

they come now with low from the ground roof heights to MPV / SUV type heights. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cheezemonkhai said:

To be honest, we'd always been looking at one of the cars going electric. Before it was the low use car, but now it's certainly not off the books for it to be the higher mileage car.

Don't think we're quite there yet, especially give the price differential, but SWMBO certainly managed to pursuade me to go mild Hybrid with the Swift and I'm very glad she did...   52MPG round town and much more on a run but still fun to drive and only 97g/km.  SWMBO now uses it as her daily as well as me given I'm mostly working from home still

2 hours ago, cheezemonkhai said:

Yes the bank holidy/half term/school holidays price jump is normal, but usually it's 1-3p per litre, then back down after.
This appears to be a full 10p in just over a week.

To be honest, we'd always been looking at one of the cars going electric. Before it was the low use car, but now it's certainly not off the books for it to be the higher mileage car. On the other side, they are massive and not a huge amount of fun to drive 😞

ID4 GT looks nice. 

Line manager has an Ipace as says its very sporty & handles much like his diesel BMW did 

27 minutes ago, skomaz said:

Don't think we're quite there yet, especially give the price differential, but SWMBO certainly managed to pursuade me to go mild Hybrid with the Swift and I'm very glad she did...   52MPG round town and much more on a run but still fun to drive and only 97g/km.  SWMBO now uses it as her daily as well as me given I'm mostly working from home still

95g seems quite high. Certainly higher than my GTE Passat Estate 

48 minutes ago, gadgetman said:

It is mild hybrid and doesn't run electric only so the figure is a true figure rather than the skewed nedc figures garnered from a test cycle that is largely be completed on electric only for the Passat.  Yours would be over 120g/km in similar circumstances.

Edited by skomaz
  • Like 1

They are figures that are managed on the vehicles that are tested under a WLTP regime, and RDE and fiction still hence the RDE2 has caught out much of the Kidology and quicker than expected VW Group are discontinuing models / engines/ drivetrains.

Then they are using MG Motors having a couple of million EVs registered to save them Millions in Fines because they never reach the Low Average C02 across the brands. 

https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/vw-faces-eu-fine-missing-2020-emissions-targets

https://autovista24.autovistagroup.com/news/vw-group-and-jlr-face-fines-exceeding-2020-eu-emissions-targets

Edited by roottoot

5 hours ago, gadgetman said:

On LBC last night the nighty financial slot around 5.30pm said retailers had also added an average of 6p/litre to recover costs from last year's shutdowns on top of the lovely fuel accelerator which sees 60% of a litre price going to HMRC. 

Fuel station in Mauchline is wanting nearly 150p a litre for diesel, according to my Grampa at least. He's been going to Kilmarnock or Cumnock for it since it's cheaper apparently.

9 hours ago, gadgetman said:

ID4 GT looks nice. 

Line manager has an Ipace as says its very sporty & handles much like his diesel BMW did 

ipace is £70k…. But yes it’s nice (as it should be for that much)

ID4 is massive, not particularly powerful and I have questions on range.

Got some test drives on ID3, Skoda or ID4, ipace, xc40 Recharge and the Kia /Hyundai over the next few weeks I think.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cheezemonkhai said:

Got some test drives on ID3, Skoda or ID4, ipace, xc40 Recharge and the Kia /Hyundai over the next few weeks I think.

Will be interesting to hear your thoughts on them

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, roottoot said:

The VW ID4 in 148,170 or 204ps has enough power for any UK roads. 

Overtaking is not an issue even with actual people and stuff in the car.

Definitely not the same, but our 90hp 0.9 Sandero fully laden can still fair shift.

5 hours ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Definitely not the same, but our 90hp 0.9 Sandero fully laden can still fair shift.

Got 115 mph out of my Logan ie Sandero estate.

As Lee said unless we are talking about shortages can we take this elsewhere ?

Is Dacia still able to supply cars or are they similarly effected by chip shortages?

My impression was the French car makers ie Dacia, Renault, PSA were less effected than the German companies who I think clearly took the just in time model too far and now have screwed themselves of billions of pounds worth of sales for a hapeth of tar/mocrochips. 

MG imports seem to be flowing in well looking at Portbury docks car terminal but I have never seen it looking so empty where I can normally see 35k cars in from Far East and Spain but the place looks barely quarter full.  Strange times. 

Quite a few white vans if you want one but not much else.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, roottoot said:

The VW ID4 in 148,170 or 204ps has enough power for any UK roads. 

Overtaking is not an issue even with actual people and stuff in the car.

i am hoping that, but it’s lower than most at nearly 2 tonnes with the larger battery. For some reason the 0-60 shows a lot slower than most, but tbh that’s not real world, hence the test drives.

It’ll be interesting to see!how it actually is. SWMBO absolutely hates the all touchscreen controls, so not at an advantage there.

2 hours ago, lol-lol said:

Is Dacia still able to supply cars or are they similarly effected by chip shortages?

It's a mixed bag at times. I believe they're having issues sourcing chips at certain points. AFAIK there's waiting lists for their cars as they've not got enough made for demand.

I hope that's a bit more on topic :)