Satnav/ACC switching between MPH and KPH

I now have a 70 Reg 21MY Superb SE L 2.0TSI 190 with Columbus upgrade.  I am experiencing a problem with the Columbus or general settings in so much that despite the vehicle setting being set to Imperial measurements , the satnav and speed limit display sometimes switch to KPH instead of MPH, ie when in a 60mph limit, it displays 110. The problem is particularly annoying when in predictive ACC mode when travelling on a smart motorway (like the M1) it reads the 60 on the overhead gantry and slows the speed down to 37mph or 43mph if it sees the National Speed Limit sign.  It seems particularly bad around Milton Keynes (home of VAG) both on M1, A5, and on A1 (similar latitude).

Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so has it been cured by a visit to the Skoda Dealer.

It's not much use to you, but the nearest to this problem that I've experienced is occasionally when I return to the car when we're out somewhere and I turn on the radio whist I'm waiting for SWMBO without turning on the ignition and the display shows the altitude in metres and the range on the map in kilometres.   As it reverts to imperial as soon as I start the engine, I've never bothered to investigate this any further.

Hi

I have had the same issues on my Superb IV L&K  for about 8 months.  Reported to Skoda Uk and my dealer, neither of them believe it because they have not seen it happen.  I gave some photos of it happening to the dealer who has passed the issue (with many others) to Skoda technical.

It' seems to be random for me however, I have noted the same road in Milton Keynes happen twice, but it does not happen every time.

The speed changes back from Kilometres as soon as it se the next road sign.

This is potentially very dangerous since it links in with the ACC (cruise control) which takes the speed from the road signs to make the car accelerate to that speed which means that you will be breaking the speed limit until hitting the brakes, or change the speed on the ACC.

I was told yesterday that I have 3 fixes to be applied, but the dealer does not know what these fixes do. What a great system they have.

On 08/10/2021 at 11:15, ERIK99 said:

Hi

I have had the same issues on my Superb IV L&K  for about 8 months.  Reported to Skoda Uk and my dealer, neither of them believe it because they have not seen it happen.  I gave some photos of it happening to the dealer who has passed the issue (with many others) to Skoda technical.

It' seems to be random for me however, I have noted the same road in Milton Keynes happen twice, but it does not happen every time.

The speed changes back from Kilometres as soon as it se the next road sign.

This is potentially very dangerous since it links in with the ACC (cruise control) which takes the speed from the road signs to make the car accelerate to that speed which means that you will be breaking the speed limit until hitting the brakes, or change the speed on the ACC.

I was told yesterday that I have 3 fixes to be applied, but the dealer does not know what these fixes do. What a great system they have.

It is very interesting that you are based in Milton Keynes as this seems to be the area that I am experiencing the problem when I visit.  I have my car booked in with a local dealer to me (New Southgate N London) and will  report what they come back with.  For your information, I drove back from Northumberland (4 miles south of the Scottish border) two weeks ago using ACC much of the journey with no problems all of the way on the A1 until I got to around Biggleswade, when the problem showed up for a while.  Interesting that this is on a similar latitude to MK.

2 hours ago, pbsuperb said:

It is very interesting that you are based in Milton Keynes as this seems to be the area that I am experiencing the problem when I visit.  I have my car booked in with a local dealer to me (New Southgate N London) and will  report what they come back with.  For your information, I drove back from Northumberland (4 miles south of the Scottish border) two weeks ago using ACC much of the journey with no problems all of the way on the A1 until I got to around Biggleswade, when the problem showed up for a while.  Interesting that this is on a similar latitude to MK.

I've seen this problem in lots of places around the country so it's not an MK related issues.

Living in MK I see it at least once a week driving around.  When I noticed it I have sometimes gone back down he same route to check but it hardly ever happens twice, and it's not always when in ACC mode.

I'm sure it's link to another bug with road signs which are sometimes different to what the sat nav thinks is the speed for the road, especially on roads with temp speed limits.

• 2 weeks later...

I have similar issues with Predictive Cruise Control - infrequently, but regularly, it appears to read a speed limit in mph as if it were in kph - typically it reports speed limit as 70 but changes the PCC set point to 44mph. This normally happens when it is setting speed from GPS position, not when reading road signs. Subsequently the speed limit changes, for whatever reason, it will perform a similar units conversion - 60->37mph, 50->28mph etc, which can cause a sudden slow down. I have also often seen it report a speed limit of 110 when it should report 70, which it then converts to 68mph set point.

I just got the dealer to update the software, but obviously no fix for this yet. Is there a way of communicating directly with Skoda technical people?  

Hi superb21

I have tried to get skoda uk customer services to get involved but they have passed the issue back to me to get my local dealer to investigate.

My local dealer did nothing but report the issue to skoda uk "technical" dept.

My next dealer visit is this week, but I'm not expecting any of my issues to get fixed since they have no idea what is in the software update yet.

Have you had any MAP updates since you got the car.  Another forum member has recently confirmed that he has had one which gave him maps dated August 2021 via the automatic on-line update service (Skoda connect), which I have with my Columbus info system, but I cannot get any updates since the car was new in Sept 2020.

Just got my car back from my local dealer who did a warranty investigation into this problem and also the SOS System issue that is blighting VAG. 

With regards to the MPH/KPH switching problem, they have sent a technical enquiry to  Skoda UK Technical team who have responded with "This is a known issue and occurs on most Vehicles. The infotainment system should be updated which may make some improvement but will not fully rectify the complaint. This is a known issue which the Factory is investigating, however there is no solution currently available. Skoda are expecting a software solution to be released at some point but there is no time scale for this."

My dealer did update the infotainment system as instructed and have promised to monitor for the release of the new solution and advise once available.

Hopefully there will be some improvement in the meantime following the update.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, pbsuperb said:

Just got my car back from my local dealer who did a warranty investigation into this problem and also the SOS System issue that is blighting VAG. 

So does this go away - can you over-ride it - it can't shout constantly can it?

• 1 year later...

Just chipping in in March 2023. Same issue in my 2021 Octavia. Currently reading this thread while I wait for the infotainment update to complete so I guess VW group are still working on this.

Side note, I’ve noticed on random journeys the ACC will not overtake on motorways. It acts as if you’re undertaking… almost like the logic has switched to European (I’m UK). Sounds like the same root cause to me. It’s like somewhere in its brain the vehicle has temporarily decided it’s in Europe.

Hi brice1706.

My Superb stopped doing the KM/Miles random changes about a year ago without the dealer knowing why.  They did have my car for 2 weeks though, and it came out with latest map updates and it also started doing the ad hoc over the airways software updates that had NEVER worked before.

I use the ACC all the time and have never noted a problem when overtaking on any roads, EXCEPT, that if you totally rely on the ACC for overtaking you run the risk of ALL of the other technology getting involved that might perceive a risk of collision if you get too close to any object close to your car during the lane change, including the central barrier, or the car just in front of you, or to the side if you get too close at any point, or even a speed sign that shows a speed lower than your want to go during the overtaking period.

I never let the ACC do the overtaking,  I override the ACC with my foot on the accelerator, then let the ACC take over after passing, which I think is what is supposed to happen. I have never seen Skoda advise that overtaking to be part of the supplied ACC system since they are no yet in to automated driving modes, even though much of the technology is on more recent cars.

It's possible that because my car also has predictive ACC that it might respond differently, but I doubt it.

Yeah when I say overtake I mean on dual carriageways/motorways when you’re in your own lane, but the car slows down because someone is in lane one. Generally, if it’s behaving like that it’s for the whole journey or a whole portion of a journey, so not a circumstantial sign reading thing… more a flaw in logic, which seems similar to registering speed limits in KMPH.

Interesting that the speed limit error only affects the ACC and not the red speed limit ‘bug’ displayed on the graphical speedometer. That red bug is always in the right place making it even more frustrating when the ACC drops down to the incorrect KMPH setting.