Winter tyres 195/65/15 ?

I have the 1.2 diesel Greenline estate.   And an almost new set of Goodyear winter tyres from my Golf.

Tyres 195/65/15

Rims 6J x 15H2 with ET 38

The wheel size website doesn't say NOT to fit them, and the clearances look ok.

Rim & Tire Size Calculator. Custom Offsets - Wheel-Size.com

Rolling radius is the only obvious change, with a reduction in revs per mile from 850 to 807.

Does anyone have any views on negative benefits from the possible change please ?

TIA

What's the basis for your comment please ?   The clearances shown on the wheel size website indicate little change from the standard tyres, and there are no significant warnings about interference with the body work or other moving p arts .

17 minutes ago, Sheepdog said:

What's the basis for your comment please ?   The clearances shown on the wheel size website indicate little change from the standard tyres, and there are no significant warnings about interference with the body work or other moving p arts .

The tyres are much bigger than standard, they're 65 profile as opposed to 55, that 10% equates to 3/4" and that means they'll probably foul the arch liner at full lock or on full bump or both.

This is what generally happens when you fit Golf wheels and tyres to a Polo, they're too big because they're from a bigger car.

That basis.

• 4 weeks later...

I think you can fit these tires on your car with no issues of rubbing, but you could run into problem when passing MOT check. General rule is that difference between oem spec and retrofit must be in the range +3 or -3% in size. That way you're minimizing possibility of big difference between speed that shows the speedometer and actual speed you're traveling. 

11 minutes ago, Ljuba said:

General rule is that difference between oem spec and retrofit must be in the range +3 or -3% in size.

195/65R15 has almost 10% bigger outside diameter than 185/60R14. That's a lot more than 3%.

Octavia size tyres don't fit Fabias because they are from a bigger car with more space in the wheelarches.

36 minutes ago, Carlston said:

195/65R15 has almost 10% bigger outside diameter than 185/60R14. That's a lot more than 3%.

I agree but I still think that 195/65R15 can fit. Why? Because I fitted 185/60R15 on my Fabia and there's still room for more tire. Difference between these two is some 3,15cm in overall diameter, divide that in 2 you get some 1,5cm to fit all around. So in theory they will fit, but its really on the edge.

Ok, so this is actual situation from the field 😄, this is my Fabia fitted with 185/60R15 wheels. Measurements are in centimeters between wheel and body. Take note that if you add some 1.5cm onto my tire spec you get 195/65R15..

20211030_190732.jpg

20211030_190804.jpg

20211030_190857.jpg

27 minutes ago, Ljuba said:

Ok, so this is actual situation from the field 😄, this is my Fabia fitted with 185/60R15 wheels. Measurements are in centimeters between wheel and body. Take note that if you add some 1.5cm onto my tire spec you get 195/65R15.

The problem will come when the suspension fully compresses and/or the steering wheel is turned to full lock.

Having plenty of clearance is a good idea. That way, when you get some wear in the suspension components, perhaps wear in the wheel bearings/rubber bushes/ball joints/bump stops, etc., the tyres won't rip off the wheel arch liners or cause other serious damage.

Edited by Carlston
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, roottoot said:

Surely the OP's worry and nobody else's other than people in Serbia. 

Simple fix is ask a Skoda Dealership if they have any Transport Blocks they remembered to remove from new cars and fit those.

Stiffens the suspension up a treat. 

Sorry, my English is on the weak side, what OP means?

• Like 1

The very slightly used set of Michelin Alpins 205/55 X 16 that I purchased via ebay for my old 2000 VW Passat 4Motion, only ended up on ebay because that had been bought to fit to either an Audi A3 or a VW Golf - and they rubbed somewhere, so someone's loss was my gain as the weather that winter had for the first time since buying that car, had turned extremely nasty or at least different conditions or road surfaces than normal, which was enough to force me to try to buy a set of Alpins after Costco had sold their last and same for Michelin warehouse in UK!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Tyres fit fine, have had 195/65/15's on my Fabia Greenline 2 for about 6 years with no issues bar small rub when slow turning on full lock.

That's both the summer Goodyear efficient grip & continental eco 6 on alloys and continental winters on steels in same size.

Speedo is bang on at 30, 40, 50, 60 & 70mpg as checked with sat nav and ride is a lot more comfortable.

Main thing is checking on tyre px as that has an effect on ride quality and wear.

Hope that helps,

Andy