European Road Trip Car Advice

VRScot

Hello folks,

I’m completely new to the world of Škoda (except a 1998 Felicia I had when I passed my test 12 years ago), I’m currently driving a 2006 Ford Focus ST225. I am however looking at 1U/1Z (pre-facelift) Octavias for a long road trip car/ daily driver. I have narrowed my choices down to a 1.9 TDI Elegance 1U/1Z, a Scout or a 2.0 TDI VRS Hatch. I would very much appreciate your help in choosing the most reliable car of the four and also, if possible how much I should spend on one and what I should look out for in a used Octavia. I am very tempted by the VRS as I love the looks and the balance of performance and fuel economy but would happily end up in any of the four. Thank you for your time and help, I figured you guys were probably the best people to ask.

I haven't got an Octy so I can't provide solid advice. This thread may help a little bit, if I've read it correctly...

I knew someone with a Race Blue 2.0 TDI vRS and it seemed nice externally, but I was never in it nor did I drive it. Good luck with buying one! :)

It might be worth checking to see whether there are any ULEZ areas on your planned trip. I know in the UK there are a growing number of ULE zones, and they're a pain in the wallet for owners of older TDI vehicles. (And older petrol cars, too.)  ULEZ compliance might not be a concern for you at all, but if it's a factor you've overlooked, I thought I'd mention it.

£8 for the right to drive on a road I've already paid VED and fuel tax to drive on grinds my gears.

https://www.brumbreathes.co.uk/info/32/charges-operation/34/paying-drive-clean-air-zone

If you're planning to drive into certain towns in France (Paris, Lyon, Grenoble, Lille, Strasbourg, Toulouse, Chambery, and Marseille) then you need to display a crit'air sticker and be aware of any pollution related restrictions.

Thanks gents, that’s great advice. It’ll be a cannonball straight from Calais to Croatia so I don’t think this will be a huge issue. The main things I’d really like to know are, for example, whether the awd system in the scout is reliable or troublesome, whether the 1.9 PD is really that much more reliable than the 2.0 and whether any of the 4 cars have known problems to look for when buying. As I said, my main area is Ford so Skodas are new to me, but I’ve heard very good things about these Octavias.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum and have fun.

You are going yo have to check a AWD system in a Skoda or any cars is actually working and then service it before going.

This is particularly true with a Haldex System. 

So in good condition and servicing recently done it certainly should be reliable. 

Whichever car you choose to take needs servicing before the trip. 

On 10/10/2021 at 22:32, VRScot said:

Hello folks,

I’m completely new to the world of Škoda (except a 1998 Felicia I had when I passed my test 12 years ago), I’m currently driving a 2006 Ford Focus ST225. I am however looking at 1U/1Z (pre-facelift) Octavias for a long road trip car/ daily driver. I have narrowed my choices down to a 1.9 TDI Elegance 1U/1Z, a Scout or a 2.0 TDI VRS Hatch. I would very much appreciate your help in choosing the most reliable car of the four and also, if possible how much I should spend on one and what I should look out for in a used Octavia. I am very tempted by the VRS as I love the looks and the balance of performance and fuel economy but would happily end up in any of the four. Thank you for your time and help, I figured you guys were probably the best people to ask.

The 1.9 is a fabulous engine, my neighbour has one in an Audi A4 and is approaching 400k miles!

The 2.0 diesel changed from pd to CR engines around 2010. Both engines were good but early DPF implementations were poor with the pd engine - The pd vrs was an early adopter circa 2007 - avoid. Things much better on the CR diesel. Don't buy a car that has had a DPF delete - it's against the law to drive and will fail the MOT if spotted.

With the scout you need to have the 4x4 checked - previous timely servicing essential. On an older car myself I'd avoid.

Also buying at that age beware rust especially in engine subframe and check rear suspension. Rust can be a problem in the body at this age - especially sills, wheelarches , rear hatch.  There are some good ones out there though.

Also buying a diesel of that age you will find you'll be restricted where you can drive it especially in Europe but beware UK ULEZ schemes. 

Edited by bigjohn

3 hours ago, bigjohn said:

The 1.9 is a fabulous engine, my neighbour has one in an Audi A4 and is approaching 400k miles!

The 2.0 diesel changed from pd to CR engines around 2010. Both engines were good but early DPF implementations were poor with the pd engine - The pd vrs was an early adopter circa 2007 - avoid. Things much better on the CR diesel. Don't buy a car that has had a DPF delete - it's against the law to drive and will fail the MOT if spotted.

With the scout you need to have the 4x4 checked - previous timely servicing essential. On an older car myself I'd avoid.

Also buying at that age beware rust especially in engine subframe and check rear suspension. Rust can be a problem in the body at this age - especially sills, wheelarches , rear hatch.  There are some good ones out there though.

Also buying a diesel of that age you will find you'll be restricted where you can drive it especially in Europe but beware UK ULEZ schemes. 

Thanks John, this is where my research has taken me as well. Looking at 1U/1Z Elegance spec (really want the armrest) with the 1.9 PD. Seems like the clear choice and it also avoids the DPF issue. Obviously the car will be gone through and fully serviced before the trip. Good to know about rust spots too though, that’s the stuff I need to know. Budgeting £2k for the car and about £600 for servicing/tyres etc… I think the 1U looks like the better choice. Am I right in thinking that, electronics wise, The 1U is much simpler than the 1Z even when they both use the 1.9 PD?

38 minutes ago, VRScot said:

Am I right in thinking that, electronics wise, The 1U is much simpler than the 1Z even when they both use the 1.9 PD?

Yes to a point but lot's of stuff already CANbus etc on the mkI. A friend of mine had a mkII 2007 pd vrs and ven with a 30 mile each way commute he still had DPF issues - this was from new! - so if getting old I'd avoid!!!

Edited by bigjohn

For info the 2.0TDI PD BMM in the Scout and 4x4 on a MkII is a development of the 1.9PD so is an 8 valve head and seems to be more reliable than the 2.0 BKD 16 valve PD in none 4x4 cars.

However, as mentioned the 2.0 BMM does have a DPF (the 1.9 4x4 doesn't but the VRs does), albeit this can be removed and still pass an MOT with no issues as it's an EU4 engine and the DPF is tucked up at the back of the engine above the transfer box, so very difficult to get at and check at MOT. It'll also map to about 185bhp on a Stage 1 relatively easily.

One thing to definitely check at a higher mileage on any PD engined scout or 4x4 will be the turbo to intercooler outlet pipe.  The rubber bend has a tendency to split underneath (every 7 years on our old 4x4!) and as it's sandwiched between the bulkhead and the block it can be a bugger to change

Edited by skomaz

That’s great gents, thank you. Seems like the VRS and Scouts could be more trouble than I’m willing to risk so I think I’ll definitely be focusing on Mk1s unless a Mk2 comes up for a reasonable price with extra low mileage or something. I’ve found that they tend to be roughly the same price. When I track one down I’ll update with photos. Thanks guys!

3 hours ago, skomaz said:

For info the 2.0TDI PD BMM in the Scout and 4x4 on a MkII is a development of the 1.9PD so is an 8 valve head and seems to be more reliable than the 2.0 BKD 16 valve PD in none 4x4 cars.

However, as mentioned the 2.0 BMM does have a DPF (the 1.9 4x4 doesn't but the VRs does), albeit this can be removed and still pass an MOT with no issues as it's an EU4 engine and the DPF is tucked up at the back of the engine above the transfer box, so very difficult to get at and check at MOT. It'll also map to about 185bhp on a Stage 1 relatively easily.

One thing to definitely check at a higher mileage on any PD engined scout or 4x4 will be the turbo to intercooler outlet pipe.  The rubber bend has a tendency to split underneath (every 7 years on our old 4x4!) and as it's sandwiched between the bulkhead and the block it can be a bugger to change

Thanks for the info mate, I know they’re quite mappable but given this will be a daily/ long distance car I’ll save the modding antics for the 300bhp ST that’ll be parked next to it 😉 Having said that it might get a dirty diesel spec exhaust on it just for giggles…

• Like 1

3 hours ago, skomaz said:

In my experience, they can be prone to gearbox failures.  

38 minutes ago, Schtum said:

In my experience, they can be prone to gearbox failures.  

Hmmm...   we never had a gearbox issue but the rubber driveshaft couplings did start to fail...

Used our 1Z 1.9PD estate for a trip from the UK down throuhg Germany, Austria and into Switzerland. Didn't need to worry about reliability at all. Just stuck the crusie control on and away we went. First tank from getting off the Ferry in France down to Southern Germany via Frankfurt averaged 62mpg (avg 90mph on the un-restricted parts of the autobahn). Would quite happily do it again. Did 180k in the car (260k on the clock total) myself and never had a breakdown.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again folks,

I took the plunge! I bought myself a 53 plate Octavia 1U 1.9 TDI (VE 110) Elegance Estate in Silver. £1800, 105,000 miles, full service history and a few minor niggles but nothing serious. It went straight in to get the timing belt and water pump done and it's now sitting in the drive outside, next will be full service and brakes, then maybe flywheel and clutch (conversion to single mass has been recommended as it's a little noisy). Can anyone think of anything else I should consider doing? I'm very happy with the car so far, it feels so solid and well built, it's not that slow either. Thank you all for the help in the run up to the purchase. I'll attach photos once I've taken some. All opinions welcome!

• Like 2