RIP Sir David Amess MP.

@Lee

The MP for Southend West was fatally stabbed today at his constituency office. Essex police have confirmed a 25 year old man has been arrested and are not looking for anyone else in connection with the incident.

No matter what your political views, violence is never the answer. RIP.
https://news.sky.com/story/david-amess-mp-dies-after-being-stabbed-at-constituency-office-police-say-12434589

Please, absolutely no speculation. At the first sign of any I will lock this topic.

Edited by @Lee

• @Lee changed the title to RIP Sir David Amess MP.

Yes I agree, it's never acceptable to take this route no matter what your differences.

They arrested a 25 year old at the scene, so I imagine there will be further statements in time.

I really hope this wasn't due to any political differences,  because people debate differences not kill each other over it.

At this time however you have to feel for his wife, kids and family as well as those who knew him well or were at the surgery.

Edited by cheezemonkhai

Mr Amess was a well know Catholic and also backed my local Labour MP at the time of the Fox hunting ban which went through.

Lots of people have spoken highly of Mr Amess. One can only imagine the personal terror and for those at the constituency meeting.

Something similar happened down road at Cheltenham to the Lib MP as well as Jo Cox 5 years ago.  Let us hope this was the last time such a thing happens

He was a fairly loyal Conservative MP with his stance inline on most Con issues as can be seen in the voting record in the attached.

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/10009/david_amess/southend_west/votes 

A man of conviction that even us of the other political persuasion can respect even if we strongly diagree with some of his views. 

19 hours ago, @Lee said:

No matter what your political views, violence is never the answer. RIP.

Totally agree, having a different opinion and discussing it is what our democracy is about.

Violence has NO place.