LED Matrix headlights.

Do we have any clever people on here that know how the matrix lights work?

I have a vRS so standard fit with these lights.

They appear really good but as the mornings/evenings get darker i'm using them more in stop/start traffic.

I have noticed that if i'm behind another car as I come to a stop part of the headlight beam changes and it appears bit go darker.

Anyone know what they're doing or am I imagining it?

2 hours ago, timster said:

They restore their pattern when you stop. Since they change light pattern according to speed and situations, when you stop they return to "parking" state, which is just a normal state.

That makes sense. Thanks.

Do they operate when the headlights are dipped or just when full beam? I've noticed I've been getting flashed a few times when dipped, but when in full beam auto they appear to work really good. 

On 23/10/2021 at 20:45, jjm_vrs said:

Do they operate when the headlights are dipped or just when full beam? I've noticed I've been getting flashed a few times when dipped, but when in full beam auto they appear to work really good. 

Only on Auto mode full beam (1 push, not 2). I've noticed that a lot of bixenon beemers have been flashing me when i'm on dipped, but a quick blip of main quells any dickishness from them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, GiantKiwi said:

Only on Auto mode full beam (1 push, not 2). I've noticed that a lot of bixenon beemers have been flashing me when i'm on dipped, but a quick blip of main quells any dickishness from them.

Modern headlights are just bright as hell even without high-beams, it's confusing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zetzet said:

Modern headlights are just bright as hell even without high-beams, it's confusing. 

Yeah you are right. My friends BMW headlight was too bright too like he was using the high beam but it was in fact still just the dimmed one and auto adjusting headlights position.

Used my sons superb on Spanish motorway at night and I found there was not a great lot of difference between dipped and main beam.the light are great.got flashed a few times on a 560 mile trip.a quick flash on my main beams and no problems.

52 minutes ago, Joss1733 said:

Used my sons superb on Spanish motorway at night and I found there was not a great lot of difference between dipped and main beam.the light are great.got flashed a few times on a 560 mile trip.a quick flash on my main beams and no problems.

Clearly you have more tolerant drivers on your route. I got flashed 4 times in 11 miles this evening on the way home 🙄

I work shifts and honestly i love the matrix headlights, i've been flashed only once since i got the car and honestly i think they work pretty well, it's cool as hell to turn them on and see the effect of the light opening to the sides in the distance like a courtain, and it's pretty clever as well, you can see the individual leds turning off on the cars in front, i showed it to some co-workers when i gave them a ride home and they were mind blown like it was some space age sci-fi bull**** 😂

The thing about the matrix headlights though is that they work in a very subtle way even when the high beams aren't turned on, when i'm driving behind a car i can still see reflected in its back the individual leds turning on and off as the car in front moves away or gets closer, it's also noticeable in roundabouts as it seems the headlights try to point where the car is turning, the auto fog light while turning is pretty neat too as it lights up the road shoulders as you turn.

It's just crazy how when i was looking for a new car i went to Seat and the Leon only had the matrix headlights as a 1000€ optional even in the FR and xcellence trims, while it comes standard with the Style edition on Skoda don't know if it's still the case or not for the Seat.

I had a problem with the matrix LED when I had my Octavia. Took it to the garage multiple times and they declared no fault found. When I eventually got them to take it on a night drive (I'd asked multiple times) they spotted the issues I was having immediately. I even got this video from the dashcam when the guy from the garage took it out. It's worth checking if the blanking cones appear to be aligned correctly if you're getting persistently flashed. 

The other issue with mine was that, on dipped beams, they didn't project very far ahead. It's as if the speed sensitive part of their alignment was absent.

I ended up rejecting the car for this (and many other) reasons and now drive a Tiguan with Matrix LEDs and they are fantastic. The technology is brilliant (pardon the pun) but I don't think the service departments are trained in how to maintain them. I later found out that all of their previous investigations prior to the night drive were done by putting the car in a MOT test bay and checking the lights were within the pass criteria.

1 hour ago, Jack_Dangerous said:

I work shifts and honestly i love the matrix headlights, i've been flashed only once since i got the car and honestly i think they work pretty well, it's cool as hell to turn them on and see the effect of the light opening to the sides in the distance like a courtain, and it's pretty clever as well, you can see the individual leds turning off on the cars in front, i showed it to some co-workers when i gave them a ride home and they were mind blown like it was some space age sci-fi bull**** 😂

The thing about the matrix headlights though is that they work in a very subtle way even when the high beams aren't turned on, when i'm driving behind a car i can still see reflected in its back the individual leds turning on and off as the car in front moves away or gets closer, it's also noticeable in roundabouts as it seems the headlights try to point where the car is turning, the auto fog light while turning is pretty neat too as it lights up the road shoulders as you turn.

It's just crazy how when i was looking for a new car i went to Seat and the Leon only had the matrix headlights as a 1000€ optional even in the FR and xcellence trims, while it comes standard with the Style edition on Skoda don't know if it's still the case or not for the Seat.

For me these "matrix" or adaptive headlights are becoming a must have. Best option on winters. I've got adaptive lights on my current car (waiting for octavia), but they turn on only after 62km/h. Newer one like Octavia turn on at 35km/h which is also an improvement. 

I actually thought that a Leon or Cupra leon would suit me better but Seat does not have ANY matrix or adaptive headlights available. The optional headlights are just static without any adaptive features.

23 hours ago, GiantKiwi said:

Forgive me for asking, but I'm reading through the user manual and their wording is extremely unclear and I'm yet to receive my Octy and I've never driven any car with matrix headlights.

When in normal auto mode, the car decides whether to use daylights or dipped beam (in the evenings or in rain), but never extends to high beam automatically - right?

And when in high beam (1 push of the lever), the car drives in high beam, working matrix magic on incoming traffic - so it's safe to push the lever and go high beams as soon as you leave the city and leave it for the rest of the journey?

Or is there some other way of using these?

Every night i use the car , on set off i push the lever forward into auto mode and it does its stuff. In lit up areas you wont notice much , but when the road gets darker and onto totally unlit the magic happens. Since the software update on the lights ( over the air update) i am never flashed even though im on full beam on some parts of the road . V clever. Best bit for me is on the motorway as the lights identify all road signs and illuminate them 100 yards ahead , including overhead gantry signs. 

4 hours ago, Mati said:

Forgive me for asking, but I'm reading through the user manual and their wording is extremely unclear and I'm yet to receive my Octy and I've never driven any car with matrix headlights.

When in normal auto mode, the car decides whether to use daylights or dipped beam (in the evenings or in rain), but never extends to high beam automatically - right?

And when in high beam (1 push of the lever), the car drives in high beam, working matrix magic on incoming traffic - so it's safe to push the lever and go high beams as soon as you leave the city and leave it for the rest of the journey?

Or is there some other way of using these?

If you leave it in auto it will automatically deploy high beam if it decides the conditions are right and you go faster than 30km/h, which basically means it will always be high beam as long as there are no street lights. 

Edited by zetzet
  • Like 1

Every time I’ve used my matrix headlights I get flashed so don’t bother with them now. Totally useless bit of kit on my car. Probably because it hasn’t got a clue what country or which side of the road it is supposed be driving on. 

I only did one big night-time drive in the country so far. I found the lights adjusting to the curb side when encountering oncoming traffic,  as designed. However people still flashed me. I still had to dip my lights manually to avoid that. And I think occasionally some people even thought the low beams were too bright.

Ignoring the automatic matrix stuff - the actual led lights do seem to light up the road better than anything I had previously.

So up here in Glasgow we have a very foggy night tonight . What a joy to see the matrix lights dance trying to work out what was happening. The good is they identified the fog and didn't go full beam, they shone to the side and beamed low on the road ahead. V clever tech!! Best headlights ive ever had ( although needed some software fixes like the rest of the car)

Same here in Sweden, this weekend it was a dense fog and it was a joy to se the matix work with it. Foglights did not give much addition though.

I think Matrix headlights are completely unnecessary. I'm all for decent illumination as I live in the sticks, but come on, really? 

How did we all manage before.... 🤔

9 hours ago, jonny boy said:

I think Matrix headlights are completely unnecessary. I'm all for decent illumination as I live in the sticks, but come on, really? 

How did we all manage before.... 🤔

They are much better even as dipped beams than the regular version. So even if you dont "need" the matrix function, they are still better.