ACC Braking when overtaking

7 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

This is one of the longest running problems reported on here, but it does seem that a recent trial fix is now being rolled out - there are threads in this forum from the owner who took part in the trial.

Sadly I have had the fix applied, I had a new head unit put in with the latest software a couple of weeks ago, it fixed the SOS issues but seems to have caused this problem... not ideal!

I had this excitement today. But it cleared after 15 minutes. I have also briefly had the (if you've set 70 you must want 44 - 70kmh being 44 mph) excitement a month ago.

In both instances the car had done a software update in the previous days. For now, it's almost as if it took 20  min of driving to reregister it's in the UK.

Those who have this as a permanent fault, however, would say it's a rubbish theory.

I definitely have the situation where if it's going to play up on a journey it's pretty permanent in doing it, whereas on other journeys (infrequent as it is ) it works OK.

While it's not the only time it occurs, I often get it happening after pulling out from behind a slower vehicle in the left lane which the ACC slows me down for.  The system 'drops' the lock on that car but then picks it up again as I draw level stopping me over taking.  If I'm already in the right lane it happens less often.

• Like 1

I had my car in the garage yesterday, with a long list of common issues including this one.  Dealer says that some of the faults should have been fixed by software updates that have already been installed on my car, so that has been reported to Skoda technical.  Also a few others they'd not seen.  The guy I spoke to said he knows of the ACC issue and is there on on VW group cars too.  There is supposed to be another update due, I got updates yesterday to fix an airbag and handbrake issue and others he couldn't remember. 

Another issue that it was in for is the clutch, regularly getting high clutch temp warnings and have twice had an error related to the clutch, due to the clutch slipping.  Was told yesterday that they will need to take the gearbox out to inspect the clutch and if they can't find any defective part I need to stump up the cost, even though there is a clutch fault.  Some comprehensive warranty Skoda are giving out, 6 months or 6500 miles for wear and tear on a clutch!!!

On 03/11/2021 at 15:50, matrix2020 said:

Hi, just seeing if anyone else has suffered this with their ACC, when ACC on and on dual carriageway or motorway. My car brakes when it detects a car on the inside lane to me. This is really annoying and dangerous because it does it quite aggressively if it picks the car or lorry up late. The car knows it’s not in my lane as the ACC shows it on the left lane next to me but immediately uses that car (highlights it white and the car in my lane it was tracking goes grey). If I touch the throttle, it immediately drops that car and tracks the car in my lane and accelerates again. I have to do this quite a lot so the ACC is virtually useless as my car is a danger to anyone following especially if the road ahead is clear and my car slams the brakes on (I got flashed twice on the M3 today) they think I am brake testing them!

I have the car booked in next week but not happy with this. I cant find any way to change the side of driving the car thinks (i.e. left hand or Right hand) I have an SE L without Matrix headlights so no settings there…..

Any ideas would be helpful as Skoda were confused and seemed to know nothing about this. I have had exactly the same ACC in my last Golf R and it worked perfectly so I know how it should work!!

ACC1.jpg

As I've mentioned elsewhere the defective software in these cars will end up in a fatality.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/11/2021 at 17:54, GreenlineIIEstate said:

I've had my car since March and it's had almost all the common problems,

ACC refusing to overtake,

Complete crash of infotainment screen,

Popping noise and loss of SOS system,

Airbag warnings,

Heated seats turning on by themselves and refusing to remain off until they've been turned off 5 or 6 times,

Loss of heating/ventilation controls from the screen,

Warnings of loss of park assist, auto hold and a few other systems.

I've finally had enough and have the car booked in to the dealer next Thursday.

They tell me if they investigate and can't find any fault i'm liable for a charge even though it's under warranty.

What is the chance of them telling me there is no fault showing even though they MUST know the system is shyte?

Are the dealers still trying to deny there is a problem despite overwhelming evidence that there is?

Will they accept it's shyte and try a software update which 'may' or more likely 'may not' improve things.

Anyone any recent experience of this?

Thanks. Sorry for the thread hijack.

How did you get on? I'm in a similar situation and have been told by the dealership pretty much the same, although I have a case open with Skoda UK too.

1 hour ago, beasty54 said:

I've had everything updated now to the latest version however, mine started doing it again last night. 

I've given up with Skoda and my local dealer, they're both absolutely useless. 

Not really fair to blame the dealers when Skoda supply build defective cars they don't know how to fix. 

2 minutes ago, byteme said:

Not really fair to blame the dealers when Skoda supply build defective cars they don't know how to fix. 

I'm not blaming them for that in particular, I'm blaming them for the fact they messed up my original agreement, they messed up with the tax and they've constantly lied to me. 

They're also completely clues when it comes to their own products, especially the service team who should know a LOT more than they actually do. 

On 04/11/2021 at 20:32, beasty54 said:

I've had this issue too, it's clearly a common problem across the VAG range but Skoda UK and the dealers won't admit it exists. 

On 09/11/2021 at 11:30, PetrolDave said:

This is one of the longest running problems reported on here, but it does seem that a recent trial fix is now being rolled out - there are threads in this forum from the owner who took part in the trial.

I’m coming out of a ‘67’ Audi V6 Quattro Avant with 80k on the clock next week, with every mile driven by me. I’ve had this problem from mile 0 on the Audi. Audi dealer very aware from week 2 of ownership and unable to do anything about it except turn the system off, which my lease company prohibits. .... now super nervous that this awful flaw will be built into my new VRS. Bugger. 

Well the car has been in the garage all day... they phoned at 4pm and said it was 'normal that the ACC brakes if it detects a car in either the inside or outside lane"!  Sadly they even said Skoda UK told them that! I was particularly unipressed and asked for email confirmation that they think a car on ACC should 'normally' brake and stop you overtaking a car in the inside lane 'as normal'. Then they got very defensive and said they will send a report to Skoda. 

What worries me the most is they tell people this rubbish which is dangerous, luckily I know how ACC should work, yes it should stop you automatically undertaking cars but not overtaking! They even said it did that incase the car pulled out infront of you!  I had even sent them two videos of it at fault (braking while overtaking a car) and they said they thought it was normal!! 

Having not looked at the other Travel assist fault the car has at all, they then said that it was part of the other fault.... even though they said it wasnt at fault? No idea what next, they tried to offload the blame on another garage (even though they changed the MIB 4 weeks ago that has led to both of these faults), but as ever nothing, that car is still faulty an the 'experts' have no idea how its meant to work. 

Very frustrated, any ideas? Is there a contact in Skoda UK I can approach with this? I really get annoyed when being fobbed off and they think they are dealing with a clown who they can waffle to and hope they just accept their rubbish.  Thoughts?

3 hours ago, matrix2020 said:

'normal that the ACC brakes if it detects a car in either the inside or outside lane"!

Maybe in the UK but not here in Australia. My vRS does not do that 99% of the time. Only occasionally it will brake unnecessarily. It is just one of its many quirks. I have got used to giving it a prod on the accelerator in such situations.

• Like 1
  • Love it! 2

Thoughts?

Perhaps you can get together with other Octavia users whose cars do not exhibit this fault and demonstrate those to the dealer and say you want a car that behaves like theirs?

Maybe even a demonstrator at their own dealership could be shown to behave normally?

• Love it! 1

Its an old problem , had it in my 67 plate Superb. The problem i had recently was that it did not detect the car in front while set to 45 mph on the motorway and the brake warning came on. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Greezy56 said:

Its an old problem , had it in my 67 plate Superb. The problem i had recently was that it did not detect the car in front while set to 45 mph on the motorway and the brake warning came on. 

I have had that a few times too. The ACC was in control, yet it did not slow down fast enough to satisfy the requirements of the AEB stuff.

And other times I felt that it was approaching too fast and I got on the brakes defensively since I didn't trust it to stop. Nor did I want any vehicle behind me to be unable to stop in time.

It does not always drive like a good driver would, seeing the traffic in front stopping for the lights and getting off the accelerator and gradually breaking to a halt.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this will help but maybe is good to know.

Tested and working fine in my VRS: ACC can be set as a classic CC via long coding in control unit 13 Adaptative Cruise Control. I did it via OBDeleven long coding simple menu, so I cannot give specific byte/bit changed but if you have VCDS should be easy to find (Cruise_control_mode). In top of that, control unit 13 is not SFD locked, so you can go further and play, at your own risk, with a big bunch of ACC parameters.

To be honest, in my Octavia ACC was working "more or less" ok, but I prefer way better the classic CC, always the driver with the control. 

• Like 1

My list of issues 

Skoda software glitches

Climate Sync button never remembers

Bluetooth disconnects occasionally only way to fix is turn Bluetooth off and on again in the car settings not the phone settings makes no difference (iPhone 8 latest iOS 14.7) CarPlay on.

Drive mode - never remembers which one it was left in (mk3 always remembered this is a backwards step)

Voice chat randomly seems to appear

Rear wiper randomly wipes even when switch is not on with the automatic wiping turned on. Turning off automatic wiping in the rain.

Head lights on automatic head light assist, seems to try and dim road signs that are brightly lit by the high beams. Which then confuses the lights and dazzles on coming traffic.

Frequently says I am driving on the right, when I switch it back to the left seems to change it back the right. This is also demonstrated by the ACC not willing to overtake cars on the left even though it should be fine and perfectly legal too.

Pop pop noise still exists even though it’s supposedly fixed.

13 hours ago, TechieAli said:

My list of issues 

Skoda software glitches

Climate Sync button never remembers

Bluetooth disconnects occasionally only way to fix is turn Bluetooth off and on again in the car settings not the phone settings makes no difference (iPhone 8 latest iOS 14.7) CarPlay on.

Drive mode - never remembers which one it was left in (mk3 always remembered this is a backwards step)

Voice chat randomly seems to appear

Rear wiper randomly wipes even when switch is not on with the automatic wiping turned on. Turning off automatic wiping in the rain.

Head lights on automatic head light assist, seems to try and dim road signs that are brightly lit by the high beams. Which then confuses the lights and dazzles on coming traffic.

Frequently says I am driving on the right, when I switch it back to the left seems to change it back the right. This is also demonstrated by the ACC not willing to overtake cars on the left even though it should be fine and perfectly legal too.

Pop pop noise still exists even though it’s supposedly fixed.

Its so frustrating all this is still not addresses, in fairness the only faults i routinely get are the ACC braking and my Travel assist not working at all. The head change fixed most of the rest....

18 hours ago, Mario_Delgado said:

Not sure if this will help but maybe is good to know.

Tested and working fine in my VRS: ACC can be set as a classic CC via long coding in control unit 13 Adaptative Cruise Control. I did it via OBDeleven long coding simple menu, so I cannot give specific byte/bit changed but if you have VCDS should be easy to find (Cruise_control_mode). In top of that, control unit 13 is not SFD locked, so you can go further and play, at your own risk, with a big bunch of ACC parameters.

To be honest, in my Octavia ACC was working "more or less" ok, but I prefer way better the classic CC, always the driver with the control. 

Thats interesting, I may have a play with mine over Xmas because previously (Mk 7.5 Golf) I could turn off the undertake limitation which would in affect fix the ACC issue until they get a roper software fix. Fingers crossed.

Thats interesting, I may have a play with mine over Xmas because previously (Mk 7.5 Golf) I could turn off the undertake limitation which would in affect fix the ACC issue until they get a roper software fix. Fingers crossed.

Should be possible with Octavia4 also.