Skoda Superb Estate - Advice Required

Hi, I'm looking for some advice in regards the pros and cons of a petrol car Vs a diesel.

I'm specifically keeping my eye on 2 cars, a 1.5l petrol manual and a 2.0l diesel. I don't know much about cars at all but I know enough to realise the diesel will have more torque but how responsive is the petrol generally? I also have concerns about the adblue systems in the diesel cars but I can't seem to find any information in whether this is still an issue for Skoda cars specifically.

I should also add that a test drive is proving to be problematic as the cars are so far away and there doesn't seem to be anything to match them locally.

Excuse my lack of technical knowledge but any advice would be greatly appreciated😄

All depends how you drive. We got a diesel because we do around 15k a year either driving from Cambridgeshire to Wales/Cornwall or 30 minute drives locally. We’re getting low 60mpg in the first few months of owning. Petrol is better if your going to be doing low miles and a lot of short journeys. 

@David79 Not sure of the age of the cars you are looking at, but over the last few years more and more emissions stuff has been added, euro6 has gone through some temporary easement steps over few years to allow the extra equipment to be developed.

This has made the diesel very complicated (and too early to access long term reliability), however what is blatantly known is that if they cannot get to full working temperature and complete a DPF (diesel particulate filter) regeneration at frequent intervals, then they clog up with ash, and once they clog to a certain point, it becomes painful and expensive to get cleaned.

Therefore avoid the diesel unless about every tenth journey takes at least 45 minutes, if you mainly do local journeys with just occasional long journeys do NOT buy the diesel.

Modern tsi petrol engines are very responsive, and surprisingly good, and quite economical.  (Don’t get too blinded by official mpg figures, they are done at 20+c with a warmed engine.  Remember a cold diesel or one doing a DPF regen will use more fuel than the petrol, the diesel only gives better mpg once it is warmed through (so not for first 20-30 minutes depending on air temperature)

You could be a bit creative, the same engines are used in Seat and VW, so could test drive one of those instead if wanting to check engine.

If you do mostly short journeys the petrol would be more suitable unless you do a longer journey every so often to help the diesel particulate filter do a regen.  How often you'd have to do a longer run I'm not sure (perhaps once a week?? ..other more qualified people may be able to advise on that).

I have a 1.4 TSi and was pleasantly surprised how much torque it has.  My previous car was a 1.8 petrol Vauxhall Vectra and it feels to have! noticeably more torque, particularly from low down the rev range at 2000 rpm (manual gearbox) in third gear and from there on.

I can't comment on the 1.5 TSi specifically but I'd imagine it's no less torquey as long as the previous kangarooing issues that many seemed to complain about have now been resolved (with what I believe was a software update).

I'm no expert, this is just my two penneth incase it helps.  I guess it depends what you're used to currently.

Hi. Can't offer a test drive but I live in Milngavie and have a manual 1,4Tsi estate 2018 version. If you want a feel of the car accelerating etc from the passenger seat let  me know.

For what it's worth I think the 1.4 is fine for the car. Accelerates well and pulls away well at low revs. My rule of thumb (for flat roads) is 4th gear at 30, 5th gear at 40 and 6th for anything over 45mph. At those speeds it pulls away well.

The only flaws I have had with the car are a rattle coming from the front brake pads, Known issue sorted under warranty at a service with a shim kit.  Secondly OE discs are made of cheese. My rear discs needed replaced at 25k miles.

But I got the car new for just over £18k in May 2018 (with a few options)  so will give it the benefit of the doubt. 

Easy enough decision based on use case. 

If you don't do more than 10k miles a year, petrol is the way. If you do, also need to consider if a lot of journeys are short under 30mins. School runs will block your dpf real quick. 

In terms of power and torque, you'll find that the 1.5tsi is more than enough. Modern turbo gives you very low down torque. 

And since you are looking at a 1.5tsi, they are newer, maybe consider an older 2.0tsi 220version. Basically a GTI engine, very very good low down torque. 

I’ve got the diseasel and although I only do around 3k a year it’s worked an absolute treat as expected.

I’m not sure what the Adblu issue you’re referring to but I’ve topped up twice in my ownership as you get around 8k per tank and costs about £10 to do so.

If you do short journeys your car will do a dpf regen quite a lot, so a petrol would be better

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SurreyJohn said:

@David79 Not sure of the age of the cars you are looking at, but over the last few years more and more emissions stuff has been added, euro6 has gone through some temporary easement steps over few years to allow the extra equipment to be developed.

This has made the diesel very complicated (and too early to access long term reliability), however what is blatantly known is that if they cannot get to full working temperature and complete a DPF (diesel particulate filter) regeneration at frequent intervals, then they clog up with ash, and once they clog to a certain point, it becomes painful and expensive to get cleaned.

Therefore avoid the diesel unless about every tenth journey takes at least 45 minutes, if you mainly do local journeys with just occasional long journeys do NOT buy the diesel.

Modern tsi petrol engines are very responsive, and surprisingly good, and quite economical.  (Don’t get too blinded by official mpg figures, they are done at 20+c with a warmed engine.  Remember a cold diesel or one doing a DPF regen will use more fuel than the petrol, the diesel only gives better mpg once it is warmed through (so not for first 20-30 minutes depending on air temperature)

You could be a bit creative, the same engines are used in Seat and VW, so could test drive one of those instead if wanting to check engine.

16 hours ago, DB72 said:

If you do mostly short journeys the petrol would be more suitable unless you do a longer journey every so often to help the diesel particulate filter do a regen.  How often you'd have to do a longer run I'm not sure (perhaps once a week?? ..other more qualified people may be able to advise on that).

I have a 1.4 TSi and was pleasantly surprised how much torque it has.  My previous car was a 1.8 petrol Vauxhall Vectra and it feels to have! noticeably more torque, particularly from low down the rev range at 2000 rpm (manual gearbox) in third gear and from there on.

I can't comment on the 1.5 TSi specifically but I'd imagine it's no less torquey as long as the previous kangarooing issues that many seemed to complain about have now been resolved (with what I believe was a software update).

I'm no expert, this is just my two penneth incase it helps.  I guess it depends what you're used to currently.

13 hours ago, irc said:

Hi. Can't offer a test drive but I live in Milngavie and have a manual 1,4Tsi estate 2018 version. If you want a feel of the car accelerating etc from the passenger seat let  me know.

For what it's worth I think the 1.4 is fine for the car. Accelerates well and pulls away well at low revs. My rule of thumb (for flat roads) is 4th gear at 30, 5th gear at 40 and 6th for anything over 45mph. At those speeds it pulls away well.

The only flaws I have had with the car are a rattle coming from the front brake pads, Known issue sorted under warranty at a service with a shim kit.  Secondly OE discs are made of cheese. My rear discs needed replaced at 25k miles.

But I got the car new for just over £18k in May 2018 (with a few options)  so will give it the benefit of the doubt. 

13 hours ago, KeteCantek said:

Easy enough decision based on use case. 

If you don't do more than 10k miles a year, petrol is the way. If you do, also need to consider if a lot of journeys are short under 30mins. School runs will block your dpf real quick. 

In terms of power and torque, you'll find that the 1.5tsi is more than enough. Modern turbo gives you very low down torque. 

And since you are looking at a 1.5tsi, they are newer, maybe consider an older 2.0tsi 220version. Basically a GTI engine, very very good low down torque. 

Thank you all for the replies, you have confirmed what I think I really already knew that diesel is the wrong choice. Our last 2 cars have been diesel engines but didn't have any of the newer complications that are prevalent now. irc, thanks for the offer of experiencing the engine really appreciate that but I think the decision is a pretty straight forward one for me now.

I'll post back when I have an update, excited to become a Skoda owner all being well!

On 12/11/2021 at 20:44, irc said:

Do you think many will know of Milngavie or pronounce it correctly? 

21 minutes ago, Greezy56 said:

OP is from Glasgow, and the offer was extended to them, so I guess it only really matters whether they’re familiar with the locality or not. 

As for me, I always look up placenames I’m not familiar with, so I learned something new 🙂

Edited by GregorSamsa

23 hours ago, Greezy56 said:

23 hours ago, GregorSamsa said:

OP is from Glasgow, and the offer was extended to them, so I guess it only really matters whether they’re familiar with the locality or not. 

As for me, I always look up placenames I’m not familiar with, so I learned something new 🙂

Certainly do. To the uninitiated it's pronounced Mil-guy rather than Miln-gav-ay😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My car is basically the same as yours. I was a bit concerned that the 1.5 TSI wouldn't be man enough for what is a heavy car. Needn't have been worried; the turbo gives me all the torque I need. I average 46mpg but driving carefully can get 58mpg on long runs. Bought mine at 6 months old and as one might expect, given its age, have not had any problems at all (touch wood!). Overall, couldn't be more pleased with mine. Good luck with yours.

9 hours ago, MASKO said:

My car is basically the same as yours. I was a bit concerned that the 1.5 TSI wouldn't be man enough for what is a heavy car. Needn't have been worried; the turbo gives me all the torque I need. I average 46mpg but driving carefully can get 58mpg on long runs. Bought mine at 6 months old and as one might expect, given its age, have not had any problems at all (touch wood!). Overall, couldn't be more pleased with mine. Good luck with yours.

That's encouraging, thanks. I remember the first time I took a qashqai for a test drive, it was a petrol car and it felt like it was pulling a trailer when accelerating away from a stand still. Tried the diesel and never looked back so that's the reason I was unsure which way to go on this but sounds like I needn't have worried

Forgot to mention. According to the handbook the 1.5 TSI manual Superb estate 0 to 100kph (62mph) is 8.8 seconds compared to the 2.0 diesel version at 9.3 seconds.

Edited by MASKO

Had a demo of the 1.5 tsi in a Karoq , was amazed , genuinely on how spirited the engine was, how revvy etc. I had the 190 diesel in my Superb previously and it was fast but didnt feel as fast a the 1.5. For me the petrol , no branier

2 minutes ago, vade04 said:

I am more than pleased with the performance of my 1.5 estate. Haven't quite managed 50mpg on a long run

As I've posted elsewhere, I very rarely use anything other than Eco mode and I think that and driving carefully helps me get 58mpg.

21 hours ago, vade04 said:

I am more than pleased with the performance of my 1.5 estate. Haven't quite managed 50mpg on a long run

On my 1.4Tsi estate I get around 47mpg on motorway runs at 75mph.  On A roads like Glasgow to Skye and back I get 52mpg. That is brim to brim not the computer and without any effort to drive frugally. Still using full power if required for an overtake etc and  doing mostly 50-60mph -  or faster on straighter sections like Rannoch Moor.

Very good for the size of car. I had a 1.8 petrol Mondeo which would get low to high 30s mpg depending on journey.  So I'm getting around 15mpg more with the Superb. Must save around £500 a year on fuel for my 10k mileage.

Edited by irc
typo

On 15/11/2021 at 08:51, MASKO said:

Forgot to mention. According to the handbook the 1.5 TSI manual Superb estate 0 to 100kph (62mph) is 8.8 seconds compared to the 2.0 diesel version at 9.3 seconds.

yes but 1/2 second is nothing,  in real world driving, most acceleration is when you are already moving ie 30-50  or 50-70 and the extra torque of the diesel will wipe the floor with the petrol

with the petrol engine you would be changing down a gear, the engine is then screaming it's head off and using more fuel as well.

44 minutes ago, 310golfr said:

with the petrol engine you would be changing down a gear, the engine is then screaming it's head off and using more fuel as well.

Possibly on the auto - but even on my previous gen 125ps tsi manual you don't need to scream the engine to make pretty rapid progress. Saying that as the revs rise it can be addictive holding onto a gear as you get that nice petrol zap!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 310golfr said:

yes but 1/2 second is nothing,  in real world driving, most acceleration is when you are already moving ie 30-50  or 50-70 and the extra torque of the diesel will wipe the floor with the petrol

Isn't that what 220ps and a DSG is for 🤪

On 15/11/2021 at 07:58, David79 said:

That's encouraging, thanks. I remember the first time I took a qashqai for a test drive, it was a petrol car and it felt like it was pulling a trailer when accelerating away from a stand still. Tried the diesel and never looked back so that's the reason I was unsure which way to go on this but sounds like I needn't have worried

Go and wash your mouth out!