the truth about electric cars

310golfr

@Lady ElanoreThe plonker on the Service Reception was a bit taken aback when i asked why i was lied to about my car and where it was and had been.

He was un-aware i knew when it was started or when the location changed and i had to show him the MyVauxhall App.

With the MINI i have never heard from the RAC since Motability told me they were monitoring Data and would contact me if there were any issues.

The 'Contact your service provider' every time i start the car which comes up due to an 'Error' might just not be getting flagged with them. 

I cancel it each time. It is just because there are no TPMS sensors fitted. 

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 1

To give Peugeot credit, they kept me informed about this inconvenient matter and reduced my expected bill by 15% as well as dropping my car off outside my house just now. The service manager brought it back in person, which was quite nice. Driven car around the block and it seems OK. One surprising thing that the service revealed is my rear tyres are wearing faster than my fronts. Maybe I should stop handbrake turning my car into parking spots? 

• Haha 2

As the **** makes my skin crawl the best I can do is to click on a few random parts of the video and listen for a couple of seconds (a technique I use with one obsessive on here) by chance I landed on this part and realised that I am not alone:

What does it say about our society that these idiots can make a very good living from ****tery or flashing their bits on only fans?

• Like 1

'Lets go.'

Well planned or chosen. headed to a AC charger and used his own cable.   

'Thats the way he rolls, pass any rapids, ultra rapids or just ignore those just up the road & go plug in and get 11 kW max charging, maybe even only 7 kw.' 

'Should have got a Mini.  Or for umbrellas in the door a Skoda or Rolls Royce.'

'Forget the width, feel the length. '  Forget the damn weight.  Pots and Kettles.

Many a big elephant of a motor kicks about with just a driver in and passenger seats or luggage space empty.

Screenshot 2024-04-13 10.55.56.png

Screenshot 2024-04-13 10.55.00.png

Screenshot 2024-04-13 11.29.33.png

Screenshot 2024-04-13 11.33.56.png

Edited by Rooted

1 hour ago, Rooted said:

'Lets go.'

Well planned or chosen. headed to a AC charger and used his own cable.   

'Thats the way he rolls, pass any rapids, ultra rapids or just ignore those just up the road & go plug in and get 11 kW max charging, maybe even only 7 kw.' 

'Should have got a Mini.  Or for umbrellas in the door a Skoda or Rolls Royce.'

'Forget the width, feel the length. '  Forget the damn weight.  Pots and Kettles.

Many a big elephant of a motor kicks about with just a driver in and passenger seats or luggage space empty.

Screenshot 2024-04-13 10.55.56.png

Screenshot 2024-04-13 10.55.00.png

Screenshot 2024-04-13 11.29.33.png

Screenshot 2024-04-13 11.33.56.png

Should have got a Renault Zoe and could have got 22 kws AC charging.

• Love it! 1

@lol-lol it is just as well i am a calm person that can hold me tongue considering the time i get someplace and a Taycan is on a 7 / 11 / 22 kW charger and at 100%.

I just go 'pillock',   then occasionally if they return while i am still about i have asked WTF are you for real. 

The real **** take with one old guy was he just hit the stop button on the charger with the AC tethered charger he was plugged into and had been for 12 hours and the car charging on the DC was left not getting charged and the charger never reset and i could not use the AC to get 11kW charging.

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Rooted said:

@lol-lol it is just as well i am a calm person that can hold me tongue considering the time i get someplace and a Taycan is on a 7 / 11 / 22 kW charger and at 100%.

I just go 'pillock',   then occasionally if they return while i am still about i have asked WTF are you for real. 

The real **** take with one old guy was he just hit the stop button on the charger with the AC tethered charger he was plugged into and had been for 12 hours and the car charging on the DC was left not getting charged and the charger never reset and i could not use the AC to get 11kW charging.

Public Electric charging companies must get geared up to charging the plugged in account say 50p a minute when a car is plugged in but getting no or less than something like 2 kws per hour imo.

• Like 1

When the business is paying their charging of the 'Company car' as one Porsche owner told me at Stirling Park and ride when i said there was a 40 minute max charge then £1 a minute, it does not matter how much it cost as if you average it out it is cheaper than the chargers where they went to eat.

So he did think about the money and not using the eateries charger.

The guys as it always has been guys in the vans have always been the same, there range is crap and if they need to charge they do and nobody has ever told them about penalty charges. 

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 1

To be honest, I'm struggling to see what the fuss is with Taycan mans video, he did set the parameters for the video before he set off, it was following his old favourite route from Pudsey to the Lake District, missing on the motorways and the A roads as much as possible and using the scenic route on the B roads, which is precisely what tourists would do is it not?

The charger was, according to Zapapp only 7kW as were all the chargers in the area, there were higher ratings in Lonsdale, further up the road, but that always assumes that you have enough reserve to get to them. He did also make reference to those other chargers towards the end of the video. 

He was highlighting IMO the problems with the infrastructure, it is like it or not, tourist area and tourism is one of the main industries in that part of the country and he would be doing his viewers a disservice if he made it out all plain sailing when it clearly is not. It was very obvious that at 56% SOC he did not need to charge, but he was showing the charging facilities for that area as it really is, not dressing it up. 

"but he was showing the charging facility for the area as it really is'.  Yes the public charging in a small area of the route, where there is better charging not far oop that road north wise. 

Highlight away.  It is a problem at Ingelton if that is where you are desperate for charging or you live there and do not go near the not far away rapids.

Well that how it is. Park in the Community Car park and pay to park like non EV,s, then use the 7 kW PodPoint and pay the cost of 7 kW charging.

Just get 2.5 kWh of a charge.  That is what 'fast chargers' gives you, he says 'Slow'.  they are very slow, but called 'fast'. 

Screenshot 2024-04-13 14.48.43.png

Screenshot2024-04-1311_29_33.webp

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 1

Why did I buy a Porsche Taycan, that video was a good honest appraisal of his car, full marks to him for that, to once again be fair to the MacMaster, he would also echo that i think, as he openly admits, the car is great, and he loves the way car drives, its the charging infrastructure that lets the current experience down, something that both YTubers self confess to.

7 minutes ago, Graham Butcher said:

It was very obvious that at 56% SOC he did not need to charge

Then what's the point of the video? Highlight how not to charge EV's, but present it as a problem.

Destination charging at hotels would solve all problem for tourists. Public infrastructure should always be the fallback.

7 kW charge points are never designed to get people from A to B, it is designed for people to use whilst parked up at B.

For example, my 600 miles drive to Portree, I would not have to worry about charging. Tesla software takes care of everything, Tesla superchargers all the way. But around Isle of Skye, I'll need a top up charge. If I were able to charge at the B&B for just 1 night, I wouldn't have any worry for the duration of my stay on the isle. Scotland council installed rapid charger is the last resort fallback.

I'll be travelling in May bank holiday as well as kids' half term. One of busiest week for tourists. I'm not at all worried about potential queueing.

• Like 1
  • Groan 1

@Graham ButcherIt lets him down because really without a doubt he is on a mission to be let down. 

He chose the big battery car that is not that efficient and that is simple, fast charging makes it easy.

I chose a small battery car, that is not that efficient and made worse by the chargers being blocked often by big battery cars getting charged to 100%. 

Or even 80% just because they are stopped and they are not paying, so as well to park and plug. 

PS.

Maybe i should had put a crying emojy above.   EV Charging might be more available than parking.

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rooted said:

Highlight away.  It is a problem at Ingelton if that is where you are desperate for charging or you live there and do not go near the not far away rapids.

Well that how it is. Park in the Community Car park and pay to park like non EV,s, then use the 7 kW PodPoint and pay the cost of 7 kW charging.

Just get 2.5 kWh of a charge.  That is what 'fast chargers' gives you, he says 'Slow'.  they are very slow, but called 'fast'. 

Screenshot 2024-04-13 14.48.43.png

Screenshot2024-04-1311_29_33.webp

Yes, I expect the very first cars were only minuscule city cars and so home chargers at 3kW were fine, so when the introduced 7kW, the called them Fast Chargers, at the time yes, they were, but the pace of development has eclipsed them. I bet they wished that the marketing depts hadn't been unleashed on them, but instead had just named them by their speed, 3, 7, 11, 25.... 250kW etc. Oh the benefits of hindsight eh?

• Love it! 1

Hindsight is what it is. 

There were no Mk1 Fabia until there were Mk2 Fabia, there were just Fabia.

Foresight is a wonderful thing.  Show us Ingelton then show us the 3 charger locations up the road.  For those viewers abroad....

& not the Porsche place he usually might use and really does the job quite well since the car has the battery size / capacity it has. 

Screenshot 2024-04-13 15.06.15.png

Screenshot 2024-04-13 15.06.28.png

Screenshot 2024-04-13 15.06.40.png

Edited by Rooted

5 minutes ago, Rooted said:

EV Charging might be more available than parking.

LMAO, you could well be right there, down this way many council car parks are being sold off to housing developers in order to try and plug some massive holes in their budgets, or there again, is it part of a grand scheme to separate us all slowly from our cars whatever their source of power is and get us into public transport, cycling or walking even?

Skye, anytime these days.  No toilets, no parking,  not much fun.  Ahh the good old days, loads of parking and midges. 

Then people not with enough fuel when they do the NC500 in camper vans because the price they spotted at the last filling station was to high.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Graham Butcher said:

but instead had just named them by their speed, 3, 7, 11, 25.... 250kW etc. Oh the benefits of hindsight eh?

But why are 240 kW capable Korean 800v cars not able to charge at full speed on 250 kW Tesla 400v chargers?

Why are 250 kW capable Tesla cars not able to charge at full speed on 350 kW ultra-rapid?

What about 400v AC, which EV onboard charge is able to charge from that?

As usual, devil is in the detail. for rapid charger it is amp limited and car voltage dependent to deliver maximum power in kW.

If only the public is willing to learn about this new tech, how different speed is individually useful in different situations. At very least learn how to best operate their own machines.

5 minutes ago, wyx087 said:

But why are 240 kW capable Korean 800v cars not able to charge at full speed on 250 kW Tesla 400v chargers?

Why are 250 kW capable Tesla cars not able to charge at full speed on 350 kW ultra-rapid?

What about 400v AC, which EV onboard charge is able to charge from that?

As usual, devil is in the detail. for rapid charger it is amp limited and car voltage dependent to deliver maximum power in kW.

If only the public is willing to learn about this new tech, how different speed is individually useful in different situations. At very least learn how to best operate their own machines.

It is time for some standards on these things.

It will take a long time before the public learn such things, they have decades of going to a forecourt and sticking a nozzle in the filler neck, no need to think.

Edited by Graham Butcher
  • Like 2

PodPoint @ Craven District Council Community Centre Car park has 6 x 7kW chargers available (now) & @ 62 pence a kWh.

That is maybe £4.34 if you get 7 kW in an hour.   

Plus parking charges obviously..

'2.4 kW added, madness my friends'.   Yes it is because 3 kW @ 62 pence is £1.86. 

20 minutes. 

2 or 3 %.  added. 

79.2 kWh Battery.  71.0 kWh usable.     Something odd altogether.    Lots of kWh losses or something to go from Under £2 for 3 kWh to be charged £4.17.

A food reviewer that knows the price / cost of everything that goes in his gob, Fish & Chips, Coffee.s, & Pastries / Doughnuts, Border Biscuits etc should know what the cost is of what they feed the car.

£4.17 divided by 62 pence is 6.7 kWh of PodPoints electricity purchased.

For those getting 4 miles a kWh that is near 27 miles.

If he can get 3 miles a kWh then 20 miles.  

For the cost he spends sometime on a hot drink.   Those that count pennies really should get to know what those pennies can buy them. 

My battery at 100% will show 100 miles today.  So near 3.3 miles per kWh.

1% being 1 miles really in a 30 kWh battery. 

2-3 % is 2-3 kWh. 2.4 kWh is 2.4 % showing.

2-3% into a 80 kWh is not 2.4 kWh. 

DSC_1088.JPG

DSC_1090.JPG

Edited by Rooted

6 hours ago, @Lee said:

It drove out didn't it.

Seen plenty of ICE vehicles not drive out of that sort of situation 🤷

Yes it did drive out, but the battery is supposed to be fitted with breathers and water will enter through them. In the floods of New Orleans EVs were burning due to battery corrosion from the flood water getting in. 

^^^ They are apparently just disposable items so if the owner does not care no need for us to as long as when it catches fire it does no damage to anything or anyone else.

Maybe the self drive function can with it,s last lower drive it into a river. 

• Haha 1