Stolen OEM Infotainment System

The OEM infotainment system and the unit from in the glovebox were both stolen from my 2019 Octavia VRS at the weekend. They did an incredibly neat job so there's no damage to the car. I need to replace the system like for like as it's a lease, but I'd ideally like to avoid going through a dealership or insurance if need be. 

Is it a case of just plugging in one that has come from a breakers (or stolen like mine)? Is there somewhere that details the relevant model numbers? I assume not all head units would work as there's the various mode settings. 

Any help / guidance would be much appreciated. I am more than happy to be directed to any previous relevant posts,  

2 hours ago, pablotatt said:

Is it a case of just plugging in one that has come from a breakers (or stolen like mine)? Is there somewhere that details the relevant model numbers? I assume not all head units would work as there's the various mode settings. 

No, the replacement unit will need CP (Component Protection) removing and any optional FEC (Feature Enabling Codes) restored which will need a dealer or someone with online access to the Skoda servers, then it will need the coding and adaptation channnels checking/correcting to match the configuration of your car.

• Like 1

RIGHT - we need to tag @pab567 on this.  @pablotatt - we need you to send your VIN over to pab567 to make him and others aware of this (for third party retrofitting) to make sure that this unit is not processed by him.

I would also speak to Skoda Customer Services to ask them to put out an Service Bulletin to make sure that ALL skoda and VW dealers are aware.  You also need to make sure that West Yorks Police flag it as stolen (not your car, but the MIB system).

Did you have an Columbus or Amunsden system?  I will also flag this thread - and ask the moderators to flag it STOLEN at the top of the MK3 Octavia thread and also the MIB/Skoda Infortainment sections.

Edited by varaderoguy
  • Thanks 1

• ColinD pinned this topic
  • Administrators

Out of interest, how would an unsuspecting; £50quid in the pub buyer 🙄, be able to identify this as stolen. Ie is there an easy way to see, guessing you don’t have the serial number etc/changeable.

just thinking about a few things we can do better as a community with some tools :) 

6 minutes ago, ColinD said:

just thinking about a few things we can do better as a community with some tools

I feel a whole other thread coming on - but MK3's are becoming SUPER desirable cars for the crims.  The MK3 VRS's are becoming the Ford Sierra Cosworths of this decade.  I know of about three folk in the UK who can re-code MIB systems.  Luckily, if the OP flags this issue up to Skoda, then Skoda UK will flag it will Germany and if somebody trying to get CP removed via a dealer, it won't allow ODIS to do it.  Luckily the MIB2.5 systems are a lot harder to jailbreak than the MIB1's, so there is hope.  As to security, its Smart-water all the way......maybe a discussion to be had with them.  UV on the hands of thief's is a good deterrent.  

Edited by varaderoguy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, varaderoguy said:

RIGHT - we need to tag @pab567 on this.  @pablotatt - we need you to send your VIN over to pab567 to make him and others aware of this (for third party retrofitting) to make sure that this unit is not processed by him.

I would also speak to Skoda Customer Services to ask them to put out an Service Bulletin to make sure that ALL skoda and VW dealers are aware.  You also need to make sure that West Yorks Police flag it as stolen (not your car, but the MIB system).

Did you have an Columbus or Amunsden system?  I will also flag this thread - and ask the moderators to flag it STOLEN at the top of the MK3 Octavia thread and also the MIB/Skoda Infortainment sections.

Thanks. I'll pass on the VIN. 

I hadn't thought about Skoda Customer Services, but West Yorkshire police have been informed. 

I've no idea on what type of system. 

DM Keith have quoted me about £2.4k to replace both elements. 

This Topic is a real concern... I thought that we could all start to sleep a lot easier after the long gone days of pull out & face- off head units?😮

It's not like we're able to relocate the Bolero, Amundsen, Columbus unit easily (as far as I'm aware?)

I feel really sorry for the OP...

On 29/11/2021 at 18:02, pablotatt said:

I've no idea on what type of system. 

It will probably be an Amunsden unit - with or without Canton.  Luckily they are the most common of the head units.  £2400 is a lot of money and I am hopefully that your insurance will cover it.

Take up @pab567 on his offer; he can provide a retrofitted unit.

19 hours ago, varaderoguy said:

I am hopefully that your insurance will cover it.

I wouldn't be so sure, reading the full small print of insurance policies will often show a limit on the replacement payable for even a factory infotainment system - just checked my policy and that limit is £500!

• 2 weeks later...