Brake pad options?

briscaF1

The '14 1.2tsi combi needs some front pads as they passed MOT with an advisory. They're original and have done about 56k

I tried to buy some but there were two options.

Can anyone please explain which type these are/recommended pads? I'd normally buy a known brand such as brembo or GKN (Do ferodo still manufacture in the UK?)

Thanks for any assistance

IMG_20211211_154414.jpg

Basically the 2 options would be 1 set of pads with wear sensor cable and 1 set without this cable looking at photo you calipers look like the Teves option as i know they fitted some Lucas type on certain models, Horton Skoda sometimes have good deals on pads  but check first as genuine pads can cost around £60 plus but I've used Textar pads (around £25-£30 a set been using them for quite a few years and they are good value and last pretty good, some makes as previous post suggets are rubbish and bad quality 

• Thanks 1

If you search for the correct OEM part number 6R0698151A for the front brake pads you will only get pads without the wear indicator.

15 6R0 698 151 A 1 set of brake pads for disk brake   1 PR-1ZG,1LR  

https://skoda.7zap.com/en/cz/fabia/fab/2014-697/6/615-615016/#15

-  -

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/car-parts/oem/6r0698151a?search=OEN+6R0698151A&supplier[0]=833&supplier[1]=3&supplier[2]=30

1 hour ago, briscaF1 said:

Thanks for all the replies. How do I know if this model (SE) has a brake wear indicator? Would it illuminate on the dash at ignition on?

You'll know when you change the pads, which is why I said it doesn't matter, you can buy them with the sensor then snip the sensor wire off if you don't have one.

It's really not complicated.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, briscaF1 said:

Thanks for all the replies. How do I know if this model (SE) has a brake wear indicator? Would it illuminate on the dash at ignition on?

Fabia MK2s from 2011 onwards don't have a wear indicator on the front brake pads when they were fitted with 256mm front discs.

It was only the Fabia MK2s 2007-2010 that sometimes had a wear indicator on the front brake pads with the 256mm front discs. This depended on the build codes.

You can see the build codes below for the 2007-2010 Fabia MK2s with 256mm front brake discs. You can see that you only got a front brake pad wear indicator with the 256mm front brake discs if you had build code 9U1

Fabia MK2 2007-2010 front brake pads for 256mm front discs

15 6Q0 698 151 1 set of brake pads for disk brake   1 PR-1LQ,9U0   
15 JZW 698 151 A 1 set of brake pads for disk brake 'eco'
D >> - 31.12.2009
front 1 PR-1LQ,9U0  
(15) 1J0 698 151 D 1 set: brake pads with wear indicator for disc brake   1 PR-1LQ,9U1   
15 JZW 698 151 1 set of brake pads with wear display for disc brakes 'eco'
D >> - 31.12.2009
front 1 PR-1LQ,9U1  
(15) 1J0 698 151 J 1 set of brake pads for disk brake front 1 PR-1LR,9U0   
D >> - 31.12.2009
front 1 PR-1LR,9U0  
(15) 1J0 698 151 E 1 set: brake pads with wear indicator for disc brake front 1 PR-1LR+9U1   
15 JZW 698 151 1 set of brake pads with wear display for disc brakes 'eco'
D >> - 31.12.2009
front 1 PR-1LR+9U1  
15 6R0 698 151 A 1 set of brake pads for disk brake
comprising:
front
14"
1 PR-1ZG  
D >> - 31.12.2009
front 1 PR-1ZG

https://skoda.7zap.com/en/cz/fabia/fab/2010-608/6/615-615016/

Edited by Carlston
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, 26DIPP said:

got them changed to - I think - Eicher and everything is o.k.

Eicher are ECP's budget brand and aren't too popular on these forums due to things I haven't cared enough to ask about etc. I've got them fitted on the front of my Fabia and they stop the car rather well and got me out of a few situations, so I cannot complain. They do their job. :)

Edited by AnnoyingPentium

50 minutes ago, sepulchrave said:

They're too soft and overheat leading to fade and they're not too clever in the wet either.

Thank you Sepulchrave. I was wondering why they had gotten such a bad reputation on here as I couldn't remember for the life of me, getting quite dittery so I am! :D

I bought them unknowingly but they were a welcome upgrade over what I'm assuming looked like OEM discs (wasn't much left) and replacement pads. I'll probably buy different next time as I still find the braking performance a bit lacklustre but still an improvement nevertheless.

I've not knowingly suffered any brake fade, but I'm not a yobbo, nor do I push all 64ish raging three-legged ponies particularly hard at any given time. :notme:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 26DIPP said:

I fitted a set of Brembo pads and discs and a few there was terrible juddering when the brakes were applied.

got them changed to - I think - Eicher and everything is o.k.

I had exactly the same issue with Brembo discs and pads combo. These were for the FS111 brakes on my HTP. Changed to Pagid discs and pads and no problems since. Avoid cheap makes such as Eicher as was fitted to mine prior to the Brembo's as they squealed and the pads were loose in the calipers.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Phil866 said:

I had exactly the same issue with Brembo discs and pads combo. These were for the FS111 brakes on my HTP. Changed to Pagid discs and pads and no problems since. Avoid cheap makes such as Eicher as was fitted to mine prior to the Brembo's as they squealed and the pads were loose in the calipers.  

I checked the receipt and it was Pagid rather than Eicher for the Fabia. The Brembo set was the same price.

I changed my wife's front discs and pads this year on a Nissan Note and used Eicher.

Eicher are no worse than OEM so far.

The Brembo set was only £30 more. For the Note Brembo prices are only midfield.

Edited by 26DIPP
  • Like 1