conversion from xenon to led

Quería actualizar mis bombillas de xenón OEM para el Osram Nightbreaker pero últimamente su precio no deja de subir (como todo lo demás) y un amigo me ha dicho que busque una conversión de xenón a led, ya conoces una bombilla fiable y el de la luz blanca y no el azul? ¿Mejor que el xenón? Entiendo que con lluvia es inferior al xenón ...

English translation:-

I wanted to update my OEM xenon bulbs for the Osram Nightbreaker but lately its price keeps going up (like everything else) and a friend has told me to look for a xenon to led conversion, you already know a reliable bulb and the light white and not blue?
Better than xenon? I understand that with rain it is inferior to xenon

Edited by john999boy
Non English text

I'd stick with xenon bulbs... The optics are designed for a xenon bulb so a drop-in LED won't give the same light distribution.

You also have the issue of cooling the LED, an OEM LED setup use something like this with a massive heatink to keep heat under control:

maxresdefault.jpg

The drop-in kits are limited in size to fit in the same space as the original lamp so have much smaller heatsinks:

IMG_1577__99983.1628076822.900.900.jpg?c=2

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, langers2k said:

Me quedaría con las bombillas de xenón ... La óptica está diseñada para una bombilla de xenón, por lo que un LED empotrable no dará la misma distribución de luz.

También tiene el problema de enfriar el LED, una configuración de LED OEM usa algo como esto con un disipador de calor masivo para mantener el calor bajo control:

maxresdefault.jpg

Los kits de instalación directa tienen un tamaño limitado para caber en el mismo espacio que la lámpara original, por lo que tienen disipadores de calor mucho más pequeños:

IMG_1577__99983.1628076822.900.900.jpg? C = 2

Thank you very much. 

I think the best thing would be to put some quality xenon bulbs that are somewhat whiter than my yellowish oem.

Xenon to LED is a false economy really, you’re going from 12V to 1000s of volts Down to like 3v to start with but on top of that it is now a MOT fail in the UK

Plus the units are designed for Xenon so stick with them 

21 hours ago, ApertureS said:

Xenon to LED is a false economy really, you’re going from 12V to 1000s of volts Down to like 3v to start with but on top of that it is now a MOT fail in the UK

Plus the units are designed for Xenon so stick with them 

Is it? 🤔

3 minutes ago, ahenners said:

Is it? 🤔

Yes, having the wrong light source in your headlight should fail the UK MOT as "4.1.4c light source and lamp not compatible".

The guidance is aimed towards the more common HID/LED in a halogen headlamps but should apply equally to LED in HID headlamps as the headlamps will only be type approved for HID light sources :)

Not that it relevant to the OP as they are in Spain...

31 minutes ago, langers2k said:

Yes, having the wrong light source in your headlight should fail the UK MOT as "4.1.4c light source and lamp not compatible".

The guidance is aimed towards the more common HID/LED in a halogen headlamps but should apply equally to LED in HID headlamps as the headlamps will only be type approved for HID light sources :)

Not that it relevant to the OP as they are in Spain...

My bad... You are right, was looking at the motorcycle guide where 4.1.4c isn't listed! 🤦‍♂️

It does appear to suggest that rule is specifically for halogen units which leaves it a bit of a grey area for LED in HID, but the literal interpretation of the rule itself should fail the conversion.

• Like 1

The alternative if in Spain might be to wait and see if the Osram Nightbreakers LED kits get approval from the EU for use in the superb.  They already have type approval for a number of vehicles including the Octavia 3 and more are being added all the time

26 minutes ago, skomaz said:

The alternative if in Spain might be to wait and see if the Osram Nightbreakers LED kits get approval from the EU for use in the superb.  They already have type approval for a number of vehicles including the Octavia 3 and more are being added all the time

Aren't the Osram kits only designed to replace halogen H7 bulbs?

So won't fit or help the OP with xenon (D3s?) bulbs... ;)

1 hour ago, langers2k said:

Aren't the Osram kits only designed to replace halogen H7 bulbs?

So won't fit or help the OP with xenon (D3s?) bulbs... ;)

Apologies...   your right...   for some reason i had it in mind this thread was about H7s...   doh!

I'll get my coat and go and find the correct one 

I toyed with the idea of D3S LED bulbs as customer reviews on Amazon were excellent.  

I think in projector housings they will throw out a lot of light without blinding incoming cars.  However, I would worry about long term damage to ballast or them overheating etc.

Plus they are a pain in the ass to change / access.

I went for top of the range osrams instead & very happy

I’m not sure on the legalities in Spain but UK it is illegal.

Why do you want to change to LED? If it’s purely for light colour then see if Osram Cool Blue Boost is legal in Spain, if it’s not legal then Osram Cool Blue Intense most likely will be.

As lights are to see where you’re going you really want lower Kelvin rating but then I admit it looks dated these days.

13 minutes ago, Danoid said:

No estoy seguro de las legalidades en España, pero en el Reino Unido es ilegal.

¿Por qué quieres cambiar a LED? Si es puramente de color claro, compruebe si Osram Cool Blue Boost es legal en España, si no es legal, lo más probable es que Osram Cool Blue Intense lo sea.

Como las luces son para ver a dónde vas, realmente quieres una calificación Kelvin más baja, pero admito que parece anticuada estos días.

I do not think it is legal in Spain either, but in the ITV they are not going to measure the Kelvin nor are they going to remove the light bulb.  What I do have a doubt is whether CBB in rain is effective ...

The 'bluer' the light typically means the useful light output decreases.

I wouldn't bother with the CBB, the CBI is probably better but I used Night Breaker Unlimited and was very happy with them. 

32 minutes ago, Gabrielem said:

I do not think it is legal in Spain either, but in the ITV they are not going to measure the Kelvin nor are they going to remove the light bulb.  What I do have a doubt is whether CBB in rain is effective ...

Just found this

One of the comments he says they’re fine in the rain, but that’s hardly torrential rain, so I’m not sure if his comment is based on that result.

might be worth commenting on that video to see if he can answer your question 

If they’re not legal that’s the risk you’ll have to take should anything happen and insurance tries to wriggle their way out of paying

Edited by Danoid

Hace 4 horas, Danoid dijo:

Acabo de encontrar esto

Uno de los comentarios dice que están bien bajo la lluvia, pero eso no es lluvia torrencial, así que no estoy seguro si su comentario se basa en ese resultado.

podría valer la pena comentar que el vídeo para ver si es capaz de responder a su pregunta 

Si no son legales, ese es el riesgo que tendrá que correr si algo sucede y el seguro intenta escabullirse del pago.

Se ven bastante bien.

Acabo de leer en un foro en español que recomiendan estas bombillas. ¿Los conoces? Estaría a 6500k.

https://www.heartraylight.com/heartray-4th-gen-d3s-oem-hid-xenon-bulb.html

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/1005002904918411.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.72443c00nIDK8P&mp=1

Edited by Gabrielem

25 minutes ago, Gabrielem said:

Se ven bastante bien.

Acabo de leer en un foro en español que recomiendan estas bombillas. ¿Los conoces? Estaría a 6500k.

https://www.heartraylight.com/heartray-4th-gen-d3s-oem-hid-xenon-bulb.html

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/1005002904918411.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.72443c00nIDK8P&mp=1

Email notification is in English but your message here isn’t, weird.

Never heard of them, I’m very much a person who believes in buy cheap pay twice. So personally I wouldn’t touch them as changing the bulbs involves taking the wheel arch liner off and not something I’d want to often, so if those very cheap bulbs end up being rubbish you’ll have to buy other ones and repeat the process.

I’d stick with Osram or Philips, but as you’ll see the prices are high compared to those cheap ones.

Have a look at this guys channel as he tests bulbs in his octavia.

Here’s a video of arguably the best two xenons

His reviews seem very informative even though it’s in German and subs don’t work, but later in the video he has side by side videos

51 minutes ago, Danoid said:

La notificación por correo electrónico está en inglés, pero su mensaje aquí no es extraño.

Nunca he oído hablar de ellos, soy una persona que cree en comprar barato y pagar dos veces. Así que personalmente no los tocaría, ya que cambiar las bombillas implica quitar el revestimiento del paso de rueda y no es algo que me gustaría hacer a menudo, por lo que si esas bombillas muy baratas terminan siendo una basura, tendrá que comprar otras y repetir la operación. proceso.

Me quedaría con Osram o Philips, pero como verá, los precios son altos en comparación con los baratos.

Eche un vistazo a este canal de chicos mientras prueba las bombillas de su octavia.

Aquí hay un video de posiblemente los dos mejores xenones

Sus reseñas parecen muy informativas a pesar de que están en alemán y los subtítulos no funcionan, pero más adelante en el video tiene videos uno al lado del otro.

I don't know what happens when I copy the message translated into English that comes out in Spanish ...

It's the fear I have, having to disassemble half a car to change the bulbs ...

I know the channel of the German boy, just by watching the videos you can appreciate the differences.