Yeti big tyres and 20mm lift

Toneb

20 minutes ago, Toneb said:

I thought this was friendly yeti enthusiast forum.but ok and for your info yes I have and it cost no more . Cheers x 

yep  im with you on that all the mods  on my outback  "lift kit,  AT tires , bull bar , compressor, Molle panels  were all covered  via standard insurance  as long as they were declared 

• Like 1

We need to bear in mind that insurance companies are in the game to make money, and will use any excuse to not pay out on a claim.  We may think they are harmless additions or modifications but the insurance company may take a different view of things. A friend back in the 80s wanted to fit an XR2 front grill onto his basic Fiesta. He asked the insurance company if it mattered and they wanted to double his premium because it made the car "more theft attractive". 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Carlston said:

225/50R17 vs 235/55R17

SNAAAgFdT-A-960.jpg

So ignoring scrub and with approx. 15mm more clearance, and the speedo under reading by about 5%'ish ....

has it achieved what you wanted, and do you feel any change in the cars handling?

28 minutes ago, TruckbusUK said:

So ignoring scrub and with approx. 15mm more clearance, and the speedo under reading by about 5%'ish ....

has it achieved what you wanted, and do you feel any change in the cars handling?

It's not my car.

The Russian owner posted these photos on the thread that I linked to.

He also runs 215/65R16 winter tyres on the same car.

He didn't mention any rubbing problems, and his speedo is now spot on as the standard car over-reads by about 5%.

I'm sure the extra 15mm ground clearance comes in handy, as Russian roads are even worse than UK roads.

Edited by Carlston

1 hour ago, TruckbusUK said:

Ah, ok, sorry thought it was your car, and was interested on how you got on.

My tires are 215 70 16 a/t and yea even with the 20mm lift kit they do still rub on full lock but that no problem really just have to be a little careful but my all road capabilities have improved 100% 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Toneb said:

My tires are 215 70 16 a/t and yea even with the 20mm lift kit they do still rub on full lock but that no problem really just have to be a little careful but my all road capabilities have improved 100% 

where did you get the lift kit from mate ... im after one for my octavia scout 

27 minutes ago, Toneb said:

How far out is your speedometer?

1 hour ago, scoutabout1 said:

where did you get the lift kit from mate ... im after one for my octavia scout 

It’s just the rubber inserts witch go on top of suspension and springs on rear  . You can get them on eBay or other sites  .easy to fit  .  

1 hour ago, Toneb said:

It’s just the rubber inserts witch go on top of suspension and springs on rear  . You can get them on eBay or other sites  .easy to fit  .  

and  the geometry  is all sorted etc . this kind of kit ?https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313578058283?hash=item4902b5722b:g:YUUAAOSwvopg1F67

12 minutes ago, scoutabout1 said:

and  the geometry  is all sorted etc . this kind of kit ?https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313578058283?hash=item4902b5722b:g:YUUAAOSwvopg1F67

Bang on as in my speedometer says 35 and so dose the speed checker . I’ve also put 20mm hub spacers and poly bushes all round so had to get full geometry and alignment and it’s sweet as a nut mate . The only thing is if your cv joints are high mileage then they would have worn to original height and after lift you will get clicking on hard acceleration . Can either replace and will be perfect or just stick it and they will wear in , but best to get new which will wear to new height . Other than that I am very happy with my mods 👍

• Like 1

I went 20mm lift and still a little but not a bother rubbing on full lock . If you went 30mm I think this would solve rubbing issues but would defo need new cv’s

4 minutes ago, Toneb said:

Bang on as in my speedometer says 35 and so dose the speed checker . I’ve also put 20mm hub spacers and poly bushes all round so had to get full geometry and alignment and it’s sweet as a nut mate . The only thing is if your cv joints are high mileage then they would have worn to original height and after lift you will get clicking on hard acceleration . Can either replace and will be perfect or just stick it and they will wear in , but best to get new which will wear to new height . Other than that I am very happy with my mods 👍

Same kit but mine 20mm . 

9 minutes ago, Toneb said:

0588BBBA-71BD-4FF3-956C-9EB79A3B2460.thumb.png.3888eb82a9765638bb011419727f60a1.png

i spoke to one of the suppliers on ebay  and he said 30mm max  due to  CV angles etc  as you stated .. im running  225/50/17  so  looking at   running 215/60( or maybe 65) /17.... all depends on spring perch clearance ... im not  a fan of lower profile  tires since ive moved back to the uk  i have noticed that the roads are  in a big state of repair 

• Like 1