Travel assist retrofit

JustOxy

16 hours ago, digitcode said:

Hi, did you manage to, using the advice Mario Delgado gave you, get Travel assist  working with the capacitive wheel? I have a Kodiaq with a steering wheel with the button on it that does nothing and really do not know if it is capacititive or not.  

I have managed to activate adaptive lane assist which works but not with that button and I have to put on the distance radar independently and was going to try out his advice too to try and activate travel assist.  Did it work for you? Did you finally have a capacititive wheel or is it just the button? 

Thank you.

I have finally tried this, Skoda Kodiaq with a two spoke steering wheel with the travel assist button that I really thought was not even connected.

First I had:

A5 Driver Assistance - Long Coding - HC_Warn_Intensity - Setting_over_Menu (activates the Travel Assist menu in the interface)

HC_WARN_INTENSITY -> setting_over_menu 

With this I had adaptative lane assist but the button on the steering wheel for travel assist did NOTHING and I had to nudgle the steering wheel every few seconds, very annoying.

And now I have added:

Control Unit 13->Long Coding-> byte 2 -> Capacitive_steering_wheel - Enabled.

A5 -> Hc_Variante: 2

A5 -> Klr: Enabled. 

And the button now works!!! When you click it a 'Travel assist ' message comes on the dashboard.

The steering was capacititive, now I have to squeeze it only, not move it, it has to be squeezed more than for a example a BMW X5 but it does work.

And, BONUS TRACK, the lane assist now works at any speed, before it went off when below about 60kph.

This is my experience. The car really does not turn a lot though, any minor turn on any road will get you out in the field, it is really only good for very straight roads or motorway. This is the part I less like.

Hope this helps somebody....

• Love it! 1

2 hours ago, digitcode said:

I have finally tried this, Skoda Kodiaq with a two spoke steering wheel with the travel assist button that I really thought was not even connected.

First I had:

A5 Driver Assistance - Long Coding - HC_Warn_Intensity - Setting_over_Menu (activates the Travel Assist menu in the interface)

With this I had adaptative lane assist but the button on the steering wheel for travel assist did NOTHING and I had to nudgle the steering wheel every few seconds, very annoying.

And now I have added:

Control Unit 13->Long Coding-> byte 2 -> Capacitive_steering_wheel - Enabled.

A5 -> Klr: Enabled. 

And the button now works!!! When you click it a 'Travel assist ' message comes on the dashboard.

The steering was capacititive, now I have to squeeze it only, not move it, it has to be squeezed more than for a example a BMW X5 but it does work.

And, BONUS TRACK, the lane assist now works at any speed, before it went off when below about 60kph.

This is my experience. The car really does not turn a lot though, any minor turn on any road will get you out in the field, it is really only good for very straight roads or motorway. This is the part I less like.

Hope this helps somebody....

I am genuinely happy for you! I will also try coding soon. I temporarily removed adaptive lane assist because the car is going in for a warranty issue. Was that all the coding you did for the steering wheel?

11 hours ago, Mattian said:

I am genuinely happy for you! I will also try coding soon. I temporarily removed adaptive lane assist because the car is going in for a warranty issue. Was that all the coding you did for the steering wheel?

Yes, that was all the coding.  Nonetheless now it would seem I have it all I have mixed feelings with all this.

I find it has very little torque on the steering wheel, it only takes very light turns.  I have not tried all cars in the world with similar systems  but on the few I have tried  they drive through moderate country roads, this one only works on motorways and not even some tighter motorway turns.

2 hours ago, digitcode said:

Yes, that was all the coding.  Nonetheless now it would seem I have it all I have mixed feelings with all this.

I find it has very little torque on the steering wheel, it only takes very light turns.  I have not tried all cars in the world with similar systems  but on the few I have tried  they drive through moderate country roads, this one only works on motorways and not even some tighter motorway turns.

Really? Do you have travel assist or adaptive lane assist installed? I had adaptive, and I was really impressed. On country roads, it smoothly and steadily handled turns of about 60-80 degrees.

My friend has a Volvo V90, and I wasn't particularly impressed with their system. It didn't handle curves as well.

• 1 month later...

Hi there,
Im going to add to this topic:

I have mk4 IV phev. It came with Acc and lane assist. I bought the RS steering wheel and when the mechanic changed the steering wheel, there wasnt any place to put the heated cable into in the slip ring. Does that mean i cant activate Travel assist on my car?

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 07/05/2022 at 10:35, Mati_M said:

Thank you for your answer@JustOxy

I have just noticed that you own the RS version (Three arms steering wheel).

I was searching the web to find a steering wheel for my car (Style).

There are few models available on the market. PN: 5E3419093 XX XXX

If I understand correctly 5E3419093 stands for the wheel itself and XX XXX stands for some other options.

I was tying to decrypt these letters...

A - these are without DSG paddles, without heating, without Travel Assist button

AE, AA - these are wheels without DSG paddles, with heating

AR - RS type, with DSG paddles, with Travel Assist button, with heating

AG - RS type, without DSG paddles, with Travel Assist button, with heating 

AF, AP - these are with DSG paddles, with Travel Assist button, with heating

Do you know any explanation of these letters?

What does these three last letters mean?

There are mostly VKH and VKH letters at the end of the serial numbers.

Will three arms RS steering wheel fit to my Octavia Style?

@East_Yorkshire_Retrofits

Thank you for information.

Unfortunately, there is only one function on demand available in my Skoda store - additional ambient light colors....

In this case should forget about this feature 😞

BR

Mati

I need the reference of the capacitive steering wheel with travel assist button and without heating model RS and DSG. Greetings

• 1 month later...

For those who have managed to retrofit the travel assist:

Did the virtual cockpit's lane assist screen changed too, from the simple, straight road line version to the one which shows the actual curved line of the road?

Like in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0wiwYiTv1c&t=327s

Edited by Sque4ler

1 hour ago, Mario_Delgado said:

Hi @Sque4ler, not in my case, I have the initial version of the virtual cockpit and it's not as powerful as that one from the video.

What do you mean by “not as powerful” the turning motor?

So do you say that it’s not worth all the effort and money to buy a new steering wheel and do the programming?

I hoped that enabling the feature activates all the related software functionality as well. But it seems like it’s requiring other things too? 🤔

@Sque4ler Mine does exactly as the video. No problem with the turning. But i would say that, if youre mostly in highway and doing long trips it is worth the money, but if its just for the feature, forget it.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Sque4ler said:

What do you mean by “not as powerful” the turning motor?

So do you say that it’s not worth all the effort and money to buy a new steering wheel and do the programming?

I hoped that enabling the feature activates all the related software functionality as well. But it seems like it’s requiring other things too? 🤔

I was talking about the virtual cockpit. It will depend on the hardware version of the virtual cockpit. If your Octavia is a recent one l, it will behave as in the video.

For me, despite the fact of running in a older version of virtual cockpit, it's worth the investment.

3 hours ago, Mario_Delgado said:

I was talking about the virtual cockpit. It will depend on the hardware version of the virtual cockpit. If your Octavia is a recent one l, it will behave as in the video.

For me, despite the fact of running in a older version of virtual cockpit, it's worth the investment.

Thanks, clear for me now. Mine is a model year 2023 version, so probably it will be good.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Orhano said:

@Sque4ler Mine does exactly as the video. No problem with the turning. But i would say that, if youre mostly in highway and doing long trips it is worth the money, but if it’s just for the feature, forget it.

Thanks, sounds promising. What was your process?

I have ACC, lane assist, Columbus and sport steering wheel (without heating and travel assist buttons).

I just requested a quote for the retrofit, at a local vw / Škoda tuning shop. I wonder what they will say about the process and the price.

@Sque4ler If u dont have heated steering wheel, it wont work even if you bought a new steering wheel with heat button, only the travel assist will work. Because you have to change the whole slip ring and module. But Its is actually very easy.
I have what you have. take the steering wheel off, screw in the new one. (remember to disconnect 12V battery of course) Put back airbag etc. Connect the 12V battery.
The steering wheel need coding afterwards. Thats it. if u have the tools, it is very easy.

Hi guys, you won't believe, I bought a used Octavia and it doesn't have travel assist.🤔

I come from a Passat B8 where I did the complete retrofit of the A5 module and lane assist without touch at 60 seconds.

Now I'm already looking for a steering wheel to reach a similar solution.😎

I have some doubts, I have read all the pages but some remain.

I hope you can help me. Forgive my English.🙏

1 - Finding a steering wheel with the assist button, how can I check if the steering wheel really has what some call a "touch unit"?

2- I found an RS model, my car has DSG and heating. the acronym I found is 5E3419093AH VKL. What do you think? I can't find this one in the summary of acronyms.

3- Is there the possibility of deceiving the touch for several seconds, a bit like my passat? I am very cautious when driving, but in the Passat B8 the possibility of leaving the steering wheel for a few seconds was adorable for me, also because a light touch was enough.

4- A further question concerns... as soon as I receive the car, how can I check if it has all the necessary firmware updates and if not, how to update?

Thank you in advance, my car will arrive next week and I am already in the process of changing the steering wheel.🤪

Best regards and I'm really happy to join this Skoda green forum.

On 17/02/2024 at 22:12, Sque4ler said:

For those who have managed to retrofit the travel assist:

Did the virtual cockpit's lane assist screen changed too, from the simple, straight road line version to the one which shows the actual curved line of the road?

Like in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0wiwYiTv1c&t=327s

I finally have a working travel assist and it actually steers very well. I'm happy with it :)

Had it done at a local VW group tuning shop for €760 (the price included the new capacitive sports steering wheel with paddle shifters – I'll sell my original steering wheel).

The lane assist screen in the virtual cockpit works just like in the video.

The only thing that makes me curious is the MIB infotainment assists-sub menu. The travel assist icon also appears there, but when I try to tap on the icon, it says "the menu is not available".

Does anyone have a similar experience? Despite this, everything works fine.

Edited by Sque4ler

• 2 weeks later...

On 17/9/2023 at 15:04, digitcode said:

Finalmente l'ho provato, Skoda Kodiaq con un volante a due razze con pulsante di assistenza al viaggio che pensavo davvero non fosse nemmeno collegato.

Per prima cosa ho avuto:

A5 Assistenza alla guida - Long Coding - HC_Warn_Intensity - Setting_over_Menu (attiva il menu Travel Assist nell'interfaccia)

Con questo avevo l'assistente di corsia adattivo ma il pulsante sul volante per l'assistenza al viaggio non faceva NIENTE e dovevo premere leggermente il volante ogni pochi secondi, molto fastidioso.

E ora ho aggiunto:

Unità di controllo 13->Codifica lunga-> byte 2 ->  Volante_capacitivo - Abilitato.

A5 -> Klr: abilitato. 

E il pulsante ora funziona!!! Quando fai clic su di esso, sul dashboard viene visualizzato il messaggio "Assistenza viaggio".

Lo sterzo era capacitivo, ora devo solo schiacciarlo, non spostarlo, va schiacciato di più rispetto ad esempio ad una BMW X5 ma funziona.

E, BONUS TRACK, il Lane Assist ora funziona a qualsiasi velocità, prima che si attivasse quando era inferiore a circa 60 km/h.

Questa è la mia esperienza. L'auto però non gira molto, qualsiasi piccola svolta su qualsiasi strada ti farà uscire sul campo, in realtà va bene solo per strade molto diritte o autostrada. Questa è la parte che mi piace meno.

Spero che questo aiuti qualcuno....

Hi guys, do you have any developments on this?

I purchased a capacitive steering wheel and would like to carry out the coding. What do you recommend?  

Code and then install?

or

install and code everything after?

Even if there is an order on how to proceed.  I've read all the threads but there are conflicting opinions on the matter.  

Thank you all.

• 2 weeks later...

So, it's time to make a new effort to try to activate travel assist. I still believe that I have a capacitive steering wheel. Yesterday, when I tried to code everything, it almost went smoothly. I got some errors while coding. I have marked every step. Do you have any ideas why I wasn't able to code the Adaptation? I will show you guys from the list:

• CU13/Long Coding/Capacitive Steering Wheel ENABLED OK
  • CU13/Long Coding/Travel Assist ACTIVATED OK
  • CU19/Adaptation/Specified Inst. of Sub-bus Users/Control Module for Steering Wheel Touch Recognition YES SOMETHING WENT WRONG
  • CU44/Long Coding/Lane Assistance ACTIVE OK
  • CU5F/Adaptation/Vehicle Function List BAP/LDW_HCA_0x19_msg_bus DATABUS EXTENDED SOMETHING WENT WRONG
  • CUA5/Long Coding/HC Warn Intensity SETTING OVER MENU OK
  • CUA5/Long Coding/Klr CODED OK
  • CUA5/Long Coding/Hc Variante 1 OK
  • CUA5/Long Coding/Point of Intervention EARLY OK

17 minutes ago, Mattian said:

So, it's time to make a new effort to try to activate travel assist. I still believe that I have a capacitive steering wheel. Yesterday, when I tried to code everything, it almost went smoothly. I got some errors while coding. I have marked every step. Do you have any ideas why I wasn't able to code the Adaptation? I will show you guys from the list:

• CU13/Long Coding/Capacitive Steering Wheel ENABLED OK
  • CU13/Long Coding/Travel Assist ACTIVATED OK
  • CU19/Adaptation/Specified Inst. of Sub-bus Users/Control Module for Steering Wheel Touch Recognition YES SOMETHING WENT WRONG
  • CU44/Long Coding/Lane Assistance ACTIVE OK
  • CU5F/Adaptation/Vehicle Function List BAP/LDW_HCA_0x19_msg_bus DATABUS EXTENDED SOMETHING WENT WRONG
  • CUA5/Long Coding/HC Warn Intensity SETTING OVER MENU OK
  • CUA5/Long Coding/Klr CODED OK
  • CUA5/Long Coding/Hc Variante 1 OK
  • CUA5/Long Coding/Point of Intervention EARLY OK

Just to be sure, I guess yes but: do you have properly set 2 steps authentication for SFD? Last time I had problems with CU03 for brakes and the issue was that, I do not know why but after the last app update authentication was not able to remember my credentials.

Edited by Mario_Delgado