New 19” tyres required, which ones

On 14/05/2022 at 16:49, stever750 said:

New question - best eco tyres in this size?

Local fitter has some Pirelli Powergy that are B rated for fuel eco. I spend about 80% of my high mileage cruising along a motorway, and since it's business mileage with a fixed fuel reimbursement rate, then eco is more important than outright grip, not interested in summer UHP tyres; but don't want to fall off the road on a wet RAB. Any recommendations? 

On shortlist so far:

Yokohama BluEarth-GT AE51

Bridgestone Turanza T005

Pirelli Powergy

These are the only obvious eco tyres on black circles right now in the 235/40/19 size.

Maybe add (should be available in 235/40 R19) to your shortlist

Michelin Primacy 4

Continental Premium contact 6

Hankook Ventus S1 Evo3 k127

But unless you are intending to use a set of winter tyres November-March then I wouldn’t recommend either of our lists, because none of them are any good in colder weather, grip falls rapidly below +10c in wet (and possibly downright dangerous if it is cold enough for salt to be laid on motorways etc)

If you want to use the tyres all year go for 

Michelin cross climate 2 or Pirelli Cinturato all season SF2

16 hours ago, SurreyJohn said:

Maybe add (should be available in 235/40 R19) to your shortlist

Michelin Primacy 4

Continental Premium contact 6

Hankook Ventus S1 Evo3 k127

But unless you are intending to use a set of winter tyres November-March then I wouldn’t recommend either of our lists, because none of them are any good in colder weather, grip falls rapidly below +10c in wet (and possibly downright dangerous if it is cold enough for salt to be laid on motorways etc)

If you want to use the tyres all year go for 

Michelin cross climate 2 or Pirelli Cinturato all season SF2

For summer use only. I ran Bridgestone EVO all weathers on my octy vrs previously, tbh they weren't noticeably better than regular summer tyres. 

Bridgestone Turanza another option

Edited by stever750

• 5 months later...

Now the P7’s are close to their EOL and we’ll be going north over the winter, I’ve plumped for Michelin Cross Climate 2’s; I’m getting them changed next Tuesday. Michelin has a 15% discount promotion through BlackCircles at the moment, bringing them down to £184 a corner fitted. I’ll report back with my initial impressions. 

Edited by numskull
  • Like 1

I fitted some Goodyear Eagle F1 assy 6 a week or so ago, covered around 700 miles on them, mostly in the wet. Tow observations already, the wet grip is very good indeed, especially aquaplaning. The downside is I'm now seeing 3-4 worse mpg, which I didn't expect, given the online reviews. I guess it could be alignment, but can't see that changes much if at all simply by changing tyres.....

The Goodyears aren't all season though? They are supposed to be some of the lowest rolling resistance according to some of the online tyre tests, but not so in my experience. Off to get the alignment checked shortly, so once that's done (ruined?) we'll see what they return, but a 4mpg drop on 25k business miles a year is painful.

@stever750before the weather gets colder and wet can you try the tyre pressures higher than you might normally run them?

(not that i would run them normally that way when wanting grip/traction so friction. Handling and braking over economy.)

Up towards the ECO / Full loaded tyre pressures just to see if there is any noticeable improvement in fuel efficiency. 

What are you running them at now?

Edited by roottoot

5 hours ago, Awesam said:

Im planning on buying some 19's Assy 6 aswell.  Currently running on 18s with PIrellis P Zeros so hoepfully wont get worst than this!

What tyres did you have before the Goodyears?

I had the Pirelli P7’s 

I’ve been really happy with the P7’s - they still grip like hell in dry and wet, but are crap in ice and snow (obvs) and they’ve lasted 6 years and 37,000 miles with a bit of cosmetic cracking on the tread edge. Yes, they’re a bit noisy on metalled roads but on the other hand, they’re near silent on tarmac.
Now I’m old enough to remember the days of 175 65 15 Michelins on our Peugeot 604Si being as hard as coal and lasting 47,000 miles with practically zero wear on them when we sold the rust bucket and before that, a full set of Kelly Springfield tyres, mounted on white Weller wheels (don’t ask about the Minilites they replaced - young and stupid, see?) on our Cooper S lasting all of 3 weeks; but the grip was amazing. So 35+ years on, tyres haven’t exactly moved on at the pace of Safari, solid memory or processor speed, so I’ve got a sneaking suspicion the Michelins will not last anywhere near as long as the P7’s. Time will tell.

Sorry to hack this thread , everyone is talking about premium tires here but i would like to know if anyone has fitted the 235\40R19 landsail qirin 990 . They have real good specs  considering the price they cost almost half the price of the premium ones.

On 11/11/2022 at 11:12, Awesam said:

Im planning on buying some 19's Assy 6 aswell.  Currently running on 18s with PIrellis P Zeros so hoepfully wont get worst than this!

What tyres did you have before the Goodyears?

The OE potenzas. 

On 11/11/2022 at 11:26, toot said:

@stever750before the weather gets colder and wet can you try the tyre pressures higher than you might normally run them?

(not that i would run them normally that way when wanting grip/traction so friction. Handling and braking over economy.)

Up towards the ECO / Full loaded tyre pressures just to see if there is any noticeable improvement in fuel efficiency. 

What are you running them at now?

Both new fronts were at 38psi so near as dammit the 2.7bar eco pressure. The rears needed 3-4 psi but fuel eco was OK on the old settings anyway. 

I had the alignment checked and corrected, it was way off front and rear, but the adjustment was poorly done, now the wheel sits slightly off centre straight ahead and the eco even worse. It will need re doing again. 

1 hour ago, Camarao69 said:

Sorry to hack this thread , everyone is talking about premium tires here but i would like to know if anyone has fitted the 235\40R19 landsail qirin 990 . They have real good specs  considering the price they cost almost half the price of the premium ones.

They have good specs but aren’t particularly liked by owners and came 7th in a test of 8 tyres last year. I had Accelera tyres fitted to the MK2 just before I traded it and they were excellent. 

3 hours ago, numskull said:

They have good specs but aren’t particularly liked by owners and came 7th in a test of 8 tyres last year. I had Accelera tyres fitted to the MK2 just before I traded it and they were excellent. 

Can you please point me to that tests ?Here in Portugal those tires have more reviews than other premium brands and have 4.3 average

https://www.pneuslider.pt/pneu-auto/landsail/qirin990/235-40-zr19-96y-1193152

I've just had a set of Continental All season Contacts fitted. 235/40x19. Replacing the P7 ditch finders

£722 through Black Circles with mobile fitting service.

I had originally planned on Cross Climate 2 but Tyre Reviews said they were biased towards a snowy climate not the Mid to Southern UK wet and crappy.

On 14/11/2022 at 08:18, Awesam said:

Why would you buy cheap tyres when it's the most vital component to keep you in contact with the road, especially in handling and braking!

Expensive does not necessarely means  they are the best as well, but i understand what you say.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Camarao69 said:

Expensive does not necessarely means  they are the best as well, but i understand what you say.

😄  When did I say expensive! Instead of going for bargain budget tyres go for mid range which have tried n tested like Nankang or Kumho ideally in that category i would go for Uniroyals or Hankooks

• Haha 1

On 14/11/2022 at 09:48, Q102 said:

I've just had a set of Continental All season Contacts fitted. 235/40x19. Replacing the P7 ditch finders

£722 through Black Circles with mobile fitting service.

I had originally planned on Cross Climate 2 but Tyre Reviews said they were biased towards a snowy climate not the Mid to Southern UK wet and crappy.

Hi Q102  , Hope you have not missed a trick by not choosing the crossclimate 2 . I have now had them on my 2.0 TSI  SEL  with 19 in wheels for the past 5 months and I  can confirm that they have transformed the ride from the OEM Potenzas they replaced. The ride is now smooth and far quieter than I expected , pot holes are now only a subdued bump rather than a crash through the car. They are very smooth and grippy in wet weather , even better in thunderstorms. In dry conditions they are very quiet and smooth and grip well.  Cant wait to test them in the snow because if that's what they excel in I should be in for a bit of fun😀

On 14/11/2022 at 09:48, Q102 said:

Replacing the P7 ditch finders

Interesting. Did you find them to be dangerous as a passenger whilst being driven round the Brands Hatch GP circuit by Jonathan Palmer (I have), or did they stick you in a ditch whilst you were driving on normal British roads?
I ask as most competent U.K. drivers will rarely, if ever, reach the limits of standard road tyre performance whilst driving on normal roads. In fact, most competent U.K. drivers will rarely, if ever, reach the limits of standard road tyre performance whilst driving on a racing circuit either. 

• Haha 1

On 17/11/2022 at 16:00, Stonechip said:

Hi Q102  , Hope you have not missed a trick by not choosing the crossclimate 2 . I have now had them on my 2.0 TSI  SEL  with 19 in wheels for the past 5 months and I  can confirm that they have transformed the ride from the OEM Potenzas they replaced. The ride is now smooth and far quieter than I expected , pot holes are now only a subdued bump rather than a crash through the car. They are very smooth and grippy in wet weather , even better in thunderstorms. In dry conditions they are very quiet and smooth and grip well.  Cant wait to test them in the snow because if that's what they excel in I should be in for a bit of fun😀

Cross Climates were also about £100+ more expensive when I ordered them.

I've just got back form a very wet Peak District. Continentals perform far better then the P7s would have done.

On 17/11/2022 at 19:24, numskull said:

Interesting. Did you find them to be dangerous as a passenger whilst being driven round the Brands Hatch GP circuit by Jonathan Palmer (I have), or did they stick you in a ditch whilst you were driving on normal British roads?
I ask as most competent U.K. drivers will rarely, if ever, reach the limits of standard road tyre performance whilst driving on normal roads. In fact, most competent U.K. drivers will rarely, if ever, reach the limits of standard road tyre performance whilst driving on a racing circuit either. 

On a nice warm sunny day the Pirellis perform really well. I've got PZeros on my 718 & on my girlfriends Golf R, they really loose grip in the cold.

On a cold, wet day in the winter they have very poor grip, you don't need to be driving like you stole it to find the limits.

Pirelli P7 are also one of the cheapest "branded" tyres in this size.