OCTAVIA STARTS BUT WILL NOT RUN.

Hi everyone I was registered on here before under the display name POUCH,  but I've had to do it again as Briskoda would not recognise me!!    Anyway the problem is my son's Octavia starts but will not run,  the maxidot and instrument panel does not illuminate.  The heater fan works as do the lights,  but the thing will not run on after starting it.  We put a electric heater in there as we thought it might be because of the cold weather creating damp,  fuses are all ok we're at a loss to understand what the problem is.  Has anyone on here had the same problem??   Any and all help/suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.   Thanks and regards.  D4KGP. 

56 minutes ago, MicMac said:

Electrical fault in/to instrument panel e.g. loose/oxidized connector, chaffed wire.

Hi thanks, have you had anything like this happen to you if so what did you do to rectify it.

Probably not in this case but if the immobiliser doesnt see the transponder in the key then the engine shuts down after a few seconds, but I believe its only 3 or so seconds. Has the key been opened to replace a battery, sometimes the tiny transponder chip can fall out. Try a spare key.

Can you hear the lift pump running before starting it? I'm unsure whether the 1.9 has one, my 115 Bora did but friends 1.9 100 A4 did not. I know with my PD engine it won't run long without the lift pump working... may be worth checking?

The other thing to consider, when was the fuel filter last replaced ? and there is also a filter inside the lift pump, also the engine code would help, look at the V5 logbook the engine serial number will begin with 3/4 letters that is the code

Hi everyone.  Just to update you all put electric heater in the car to try and remove damp atmosphere,  charged the battery over a couple of days  connected it up yesterday my Son then put the key in and hey presto everything lit up like a Christmas tree!  Turned the key and to our delight and relief engine burst into life,  so at the moment everything is fine.  Thanks to all those who replied to the initial posting.