Dealer trying it on?

My dealer called today, seems my Superb ordered in May has made it to the dockside at Emden awaiting a ferry and should be at the dealership early February - great - however - they're telling me because I'm using a the Skoda finance contribution the vehicle 'must' be registered within a few days of arriving, offering me a selection of '71' plates to choose from.

I put it to them that I'd be losing out financially on two fronts, one, the resale value of a '71' is going to be less than a '22' and up to a month's worth (£140) of VED.

It was suggested that the 71 - 22 plate business won't affect any resale value as it's the year that counts!

We didn't resolve this as the car hasn't yet made it onto a boat......However, I feel they are being unreasonable - anyone else had this problem?

Sounds fair in my opinion. Seen as you are using a finance option the car is technically not yours meaning the finance company will want it registered ASAP, they are giving you a courtesy to let you pick the plate but in all fairness they are welcome to pick it, register it and give the car to you. 

As well as that a new and paid for car has to be registered within a set time scale on delivery and they arent going to hold onto so many peoples cars for a month just for the 22 plate to roll around. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ApertureS said:

Sounds fair in my opinion. Seen as you are using a finance option the car is technically not yours meaning the finance company will want it registered ASAP, they are giving you a courtesy to let you pick the plate but in all fairness they are welcome to pick it, register it and give the car to you. 

As well as that a new and paid for car has to be registered within a set time scale on delivery and they arent going to hold onto so many peoples cars for a month just for the 22 plate to roll around. 

Not much sympathy then! There's no stipulation (that I can see) in the finance agreement that requires the motor to be registered when it arrives?

It's my car, not a lease deal, registered in my name, paid with my monies via a 5.6% loan over 3 years. I don't think it's unreasonable to have a new car registered on the 1st of the month. 

34 minutes ago, Berisford said:

Not much sympathy then! There's no stipulation (that I can see) in the finance agreement that requires the motor to be registered when it arrives?

It's my car, not a lease deal, registered in my name, paid with my monies via a 5.6% loan over 3 years. I don't think it's unreasonable to have a new car registered on the 1st of the month. 

Its not a sympathy thing, just facts sorry. And its not down to the finance agreement to decide that, its the DVSA.

I think youll have to look into who actually owns the vehicle sorry, a V5 in your name clearly states at the top 'this document is not proof of ownership' so sorry to say but when you purchase a car on finance/lease you dont own the car fully until its completely paid off then the car legally belongs to you, up until that point that is why you have to notify the finance company of any modifications prior to doing them and any accidents.

What was the estimated arrival time for your car originally?

What if your car turned up in december, would you ask them to hold onto it without registering for 3 months? what about october, 5 months? Where do they or you draw the line?

A little info for you on V5 registered keeper/proof of ownership https://www.westyorkshire.police.uk/ask-the-police/question/Q743 sadly its down to the fine print, as the lease company paid for the car its theirs, you sign a contract with them to pay a set amount back then at the end of it they will transfer that ownership to you, or they will take the car back.

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

1 hour ago, SC03OTT said:

A ‘72’ plate will be worth more than a ‘22’ plate. Try and hold out for a September registration…

Droll, very droll............oh how we laugh............I will have waited 40 weeks - I want to delay registration by 2 weeks, not unreasonable.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Berisford said:

Droll, very droll............oh how we laugh............I will have waited 40 weeks - I want to delay registration by 2 weeks, not unreasonable.

But how long were you expecting to wait originally..?

12 minutes ago, ApertureS said:

But how long were you expecting to wait originally..?

24 weeks was the lead time when I ordered........

Edited by Berisford

14 minutes ago, Berisford said:

24 was the lead time when I ordered........

So you ordered the car expecting a 71 plate and you are ending up with a 71 plate, now because you want to move the goal post the dealer is unreasonable?

normally I wouldn’t side with the dealer but in this situation I am

• Love it! 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Berisford said:

My dealer called today, seems my Superb ordered in May has made it to the dockside at Emden awaiting a ferry and should be at the dealership early February - great - however - they're telling me because I'm using a the Skoda finance contribution the vehicle 'must' be registered within a few days of arriving, offering me a selection of '71' plates to choose from.

I put it to them that I'd be losing out financially on two fronts, one, the resale value of a '71' is going to be less than a '22' and up to a month's worth (£140) of VED.

It was suggested that the 71 - 22 plate business won't affect any resale value as it's the year that counts!

We didn't resolve this as the car hasn't yet made it onto a boat......However, I feel they are being unreasonable - anyone else had this problem?

if they are claiming the skoda finance terms and conditions say cars must be registered within a few days of arriving at dealerships

ask them to show you the wording in those terms and conditions, if it's in there, there's not much you can do but take the car when it arrives.

if they cant show you, then they are trying it on, probably looking to meet there end of month targets  😂

6 hours ago, Berisford said:

If it is your car, the dealer probably won’t care if you pay for it, so if you want a 22 plate offer to prepay.

But you will have to raid your piggy bank, as finance company won’t advance the balance until it is registered.

If you don’t want to stump up the money, stop moaning and accept current plate.  

You seem to be forgetting that once delivered to dealer Skoda might want paying for it without waiting for some arbitrary future date

Edited by SurreyJohn
  • Like 1

@BerisfordI've not bought a new car for a number of years so you'd have to check if this still applies, you could get more than 52 weeks VED on a new vehicle to save losing part of the first month, most "salesmen" wouldn't know this and need informing, especially as to how you'd pay the extra without the "salesman" and dealership's computers getting a migraine but it was possible.

I am lost as to how if the car is there early February you can stretch it to 1st of March, it used to be that the dealerships and "salesmen" wanted the sales by the end of the month and quarter for commission and purchasing deals but that might have changed now.

I don't know the details of how you have financed this, but all the details should have been made clear to you, possibly at very laborious length.  My wife had to go through no end when she bought her s/h Fabia Mk3, even though I made sure it was certain to the "salesman" we were paying 'cash', and she had to sign I don't know how many things to say she'd been told this, that and the other and other other.  Anyway, generally unless you have personal finance the vehicle doesn't belong to you until it's paid up.

Good thing if you have finance through them they can not tell you anything wrong (provided it's recorded of course) so if the VED is within the finance you can go from that angle, it's no good them guessing they have to do it right and a Dealership will want to get anything to do with finance right, they should have an expert in this if you need to consult them.

You should have a copy of your agreement so have a good look at it, anything you're no sure about get them to explain.

It used to be that the "salesman" made good money selling the finance and so did the dealership.

Edited by nta16

in normal times you can order a new 22 plate 3 months before the 1st march and tell them it must be a 22 plate or you dont want the car and most dealers will be happy to take your order even if it means the car sits with them for a few weeks or so,   as they dont want to lose the sale

but in this case that's not what was agreed at time of order, so dealer is holding all the cards and know doubt all the terms and conditions will be in his favour  😂

I ordered a new L&K in 2012 using Skoda Finance on an interest free deal for 50% of the cost of the car and the car was also under another deal where they knocked off the VAT and we agreed to a rounded price of £24,000.  They said the car would be delivered in about October/November 2012, but they suddenly called me towards the end of August to say they had received the car and it needed to be registered straight away under the terms of the deal.  I said I wasn't happy at it arriving early at such short notice and I wouldn't have 50% of the purchase price available for a week or so, so it'd be September by then when I'd have a 62 registration instead of a 12 registration.  The person I spoke to said they'd have to discuss it with their manager and he came back a short time later and agreed to register it in September.

• Like 1