MIB3 - No sound

Cards on the table. I love this car. I hate the Commodore 64 workings that run all the infotainment.

Aside from the phone system throwing an error every other week and the catastrophe that is Columbus; not recognising me half the time - especially if it's after the Mrs has driven the car with her key as she's not bothered to set up a profile yet.

Anyway the latest eye-roll moment comes along:

While I was waiting for it to sort its life out and realise that I'm me so I could put my PIN in and get on with my life, I drive off with the radio on. Get the PIN screen eventually - in it goes, straight through to CarPlay, select a Spotify playlist and...it starts playing through the phone and the radio is still playing through the car. Controlled through the car but playing on the phone, like wtf?

Played around trying to make it work, I manage to flick on the Media menu and connect the phone through Bluetooth audio - and then that means I can trigger the switchover to reactivate carplay and all is good.

Next time I come to drive the car, nothing. No radio, no music. Profile activated & Carplay working as running Google Maps. But Spotify or Apple Music doesn't give me anything through Carplay and radio doesn't make any noise. Reboot does nothing either. 

Car is 21 plate L&K, MIB3. Is this really the Skoda baseline? Anyone got any ideas - secret hard reset menus? Or is it take it to the dealer?

unfortunately the latest MIB3 units r riddled with issues.

not just with the various Skoda models, but also with VW and Seat models.

tis a shame cause it ruins the new car experience.

fingers crossed they release a new firmware soon for it.

Yep, MIB 3 is a dog. I had no end of strange issues with mine, the most common being it would spontaneously mute until the car was switched off and the computers went to sleep before restarting it. Other times I had quite loud electronic sounding crackling suddenly coming through the audio.

I bit the bullet and had it reflashed with updated firmware by the local Skoda dealer just before Christmas (under warranty). I understand a major revision to the MIB 3 was released by VW in Sep 21.

So far since then it has been perfect. Fingers crossed that's permanently fixed the gremlins. 

Edited by fencer

Just had mine back from being serviced. Got them to do the software update, the MIB3 system is now at software version 0278. Assigning users to the key fobs now works and the system powers on and loads up a lot faster than previously. Only snag is I have two notifications about the data esim that despite deleting won't actually clear. 

Dealer reckons it took 4 hours to update 

• Like 1

Cheers for the responses- both good and bad. Agree it takes the shine off the car. 

The car doesn't 'need' to be seen for a while (bought it in Sept at 6 months old from a dealer (ex-GM's car) at 4,900 miles so they gave it its first oil service at that point); does anyone know if getting this to happen at a time other than when the car needs a service, will cost - or maybe something that Skoda UK picks up the tab on? 

IMO: the bluetooth issue with Spotify is Spotify on the phone, not the head unit. 

Spotify's inner workings are currently terrible. I have multiple setups where the phone refuses to talk to the correct connected device and continues to play through the phone speaker - and not just on the Skoda. Then there's Spotify not pushing title updates to the screen (again, this is not the phone, it's Spotify - Youtube is correct, as are SD card tracks...) and I haven't found a workaround yet. My Nokia 8.3 is worse than the 8.1 for debating whether to restart playback or not - it might, it might not. No matter the head unit / car - Pioneer in the A2, Suzuki OEM in there or the MIB2 in the Superb - it's always a crapshoot. Which is why I have an SD with lots of music on in the mean time. 

Users to keys is easy, that works for me, but I will be trying to update if possible... now if only the updates were public...

. Bret

7 hours ago, travs said:

Cheers for the responses- both good and bad. Agree it takes the shine off the car. 

The car doesn't 'need' to be seen for a while (bought it in Sept at 6 months old from a dealer (ex-GM's car) at 4,900 miles so they gave it its first oil service at that point); does anyone know if getting this to happen at a time other than when the car needs a service, will cost - or maybe something that Skoda UK picks up the tab on? 

If your car is 2021 it will still be in warranty. Mine was fixed for free as part of the warranty. The MIB 3 issues in mine were so annoying that I made a separate trip to the dealer just to get it done, as mine also otherwise didn't need to be seen by the dealer for anything else, and there were no issues doing that with the dealer. It takes several hours to do the re-flash and upload the new firmware, so they'll need it for the day most likely. But I'm glad I did it, as it seems to have cured the problems.

Thanks both

@brettikivi - interesting to note but I'm on the other side of that fence; spotify has been faultless for me and aside from that incident which then followed by a full-on MIB3 mute-a-thon its not been an issue. I'll keep an eye out though, thanks.

@fencer - ok, will give the local lot a call. I've been meaning to get in touch as I need them to verify me for the Skoda app so might kill a couple of birds with that one stone.

I have the 21 model L&K iV and mine has and still is riddled with intermittant niggles (so Im pleased its not just me)

Issues include;

Stuck on user login screen yet audio starts playing

Bluetooth / Carplay connectivity is generally problematic at least twice a week - 

No audio at all from any source

For an expensive motor, the basic connectivity and audio issues with the system are dreadful.

I'll speak to dealer next tim its in to check firmware version

Cheers

Very similar to the issues I had on my 2020 iv. My software was running version 0156 and the update took it to 0278. Login screen issues fully resolved, the car doesn't ask you to select a user now, it just knows who the user is based upon the key (I spent HOURS trying to get this to work when I first got the car and gave up in the end). 

Androidauto seems a bit more stable although I did have to uninstall a couple of apps and reinstall them to get them to work again.