Superb III Sportline 190 suspension wallowing and pothole bumps

BPL

BPL … re the suggestion to go to 16” 6.5J wheels. Not sure why you’d need to go to that high 60 profile unless intending a fair amount  of rough tracks. 
have just changed my 4x4 tdi dsg SE-L Exec’s very good looking 19” rims for a set of 17” 7J rims and fitted Michelin Cross Climate2 rubber but with 225 width rather than the standard 215 which seems so much narrower than the 235s. Tbh … a little concerned about lack of rubber on takeoff on 215s in the wet. 
the ride on 225/55/17 is a joy compared with the crashy jarring original 235/40/19s which I found esp unnerving on poor country roads & farm tracks in Wales last Autumn.  225 increases tyre/wheel diameter by a tiny amount (1.3%) bringing the speedo mph to the same as the sat nav’s (& my insurance company were notified of the change).

Cannot vouch for the Michelin CC2s on snow yet … nonr down here in the S West yet, but otherwise v happy with them. 

BPL … re the suggestion to go to 16” wheels 6.5J wheels. Not sure why you’d need to go to that high profile unless intending a fair amount  of rough tracks. 
have just changed my 4x4 tdi dsg SE-L Exec’s very good looking 19” rims for a set of 17” 7J rims and fitted Michelin Cross Climate2 rubber but with 225 width rather than the standard 215 which seems so much narrower than the 235s. Tbh … a little concerned about lack of rubber on takeoff on 215s in the wet. 
the ride on 225/55/17 is a joy compared with the crashy jarring original 235/40/19s which I found esp unnerving on poor country roads & farm 

tracks in Wales last Autumn.  225 increases tyre/wheel diameter by a tiny amount (1.3%) bringing the speedo mph to the same as the sat nav’s (& my insurance company were notified of the change).

Cannot vouch for the Michelin CC2s on the snow yet … no snow down here in the S West yet, but otherwise v happy with them. 

Yes, find the same re wallowy suspension on my SE-L Exec 190 tdi dsg 4x4  it’s a 68 reg with only 38k miles yet at times the front has come down on the bump stops far too easily. Mulling over getting a set of B6s but have yet to come up with a good enough excuse to mollify my OH plus of course wanting to replace the slightly “dim” oem xenons.

2 hours ago, MikeM46 said:

BPL … re the suggestion to go to 16” wheels 6.5J wheels. Not sure why you’d need to go to that high profile unless intending a fair amount  of rough tracks. 
the ride on 225/55/17 is a joy compared with the crashy jarring original 235/40/19s which I found esp unnerving on poor country roads & farm 

tracks in Wales last Autumn.  225 increases tyre/wheel diameter by a tiny amount (1.3%) bringing the speedo mph to the same as the sat nav’s (& my insurance company were notified of the change).

Cannot vouch for the Michelin CC2s on the snow yet … no snow down here in the S West yet, but otherwise v happy with them. 

That sounds more what I'm after and especially CC2 with 3PMSF. W here did you get the rims and tyres? £? It seems higher profile tyres are cheaper. I was quoted £220 for a 19" CC2 

20 hours ago, BPL said:

That sounds more what I'm after and especially CC2 with 3PMSF. W here did you get the rims and tyres? £? It seems higher profile tyres are cheaper. I was quoted £220 for a 19" CC2 

Skoda themselves do a number of 17” 7J rims with the precise  ET spec. Think you need to see what takes your fancy! I went for a set of 2h Audi Q3 17” 7J rims with a tiny ET difference. Oh & I went for the full 4 wheel alignment plus ACC calibration by Pro Tyre who have the official   There was some adjustment required  so worth the “investment”

3 hours ago, MikeM46 said:

Skoda themselves do a number of 17” 7J rims with the precise  ET spec. Think you need to see what takes your fancy! I went for a set of 2h Audi Q3 17” 7J rims with a tiny ET difference. Oh & I went for the full 4 wheel alignment plus ACC calibration by Pro Tyre who have the official   There was some adjustment required  so worth the “investment”

Sorry what's ET? Apart from a film 🤣What would i get for my 19s 2020?

Edited by BPL

I wouldn't waste your money on wheels - you'll still have the wallow, only marginally more so, albeit you may improve bump absorption.  You'd be better spending it on some better suspension imo.  The Superb is a wallowy old thing, and IME all VAG I've driven have had this weird ability to combine both a rolly-poly ride with rubbish bump absorption.

If the wife keeps hers (272 Sportline+) beyond the PCP period then I'll be strongly recommending some aftermarket upgrades to the shocks and springs.

Edited by Swervin_Mervin
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi and thanks for the interesting thread and great forum! 

A slightly off-topic question. 

Today I drove over an asphalt speed bump with about 45-50 km/h. The car if course wallowed, and it seems it grounded somewhere near the rear axle as a cracking noise was heard at that time. 

No issues were observed in the next 200 km on country roads and highways. 

However, should I be worried about it and/or get it inspected? 

The car does not have DCC or sport suspension.

I could not take a very clear look at the underside as it was cloudy and rainy - which is also the reason why I spotted the unmarked hump too late and could not reduce the speed appropriately. 

Thanks! :)

Was it a full width speed bump? 45-50 kph sounds on the fast side for something like that and I'm not surprised it made some unexpected noises. You may find that your tracking is out now and /or at least one bush has been crushed a bit. 

Might be worth getting your tracking done.