Cambelt gone

3 hours ago, Easytiger333 said:

they have clearly fitted a faulty part. 

If were qualified to say and had the evidence to back up the assertion then you would not be asking for advice on a forum.

You bought a second hand fleet car 4 years old with high mileage, Skoda owe you absolutely zero.

• Like 1
  • Groan 1

1 hour ago, Easytiger333 said:

I'm looking for advice on how best to get my car back on the road. I've been quoted about £2(k) to repair but advised to replace the engine from my garage

You have been given good advice.

@Easytiger333 

First you need to get proof of OFFICIAL Skoda factory recommendations regarding cambelt inspections and changes. This can be obtained from ERWIN as this is official Skoda source of information.

You need to check the details in ERWIN but you may find, iirc, the cambelt recommendation is an inspection of the cambelt at 60,000 miles or 5 years, whichever occurs first, using the procedure outlined in the workshop manual. If the inspection passes all the checks specified, it then requires inspection again annually or 10,000 miles whichever comes first. Up to a maximum mileage or time limit (10 years?) when it must be changed.

Two things, this inspection is not carried out in the UK as a standard service item. You must persuade and pay a dealer to carry this out and record the results. So that inspection has likely never been carried out. Also although the car is under 5 years old, the mileage has exceeded the recommendation by 5000 miles. Skoda will argue that absolves them from any responsibility not withstanding the car is well outside of the standard 3 year manufacturer/dealer warranty.

However, what warranty was given by the seller of the vehicle? By whom? Was the car purchased as an approved used car, therefore 12 or more months.

As the car had 61,500 miles at point of purchase, if it was sold as having full service history (proof required that this was the case) then the seller has responsibility that the cambelt should have been inspected to Skoda standards or had been changed.

Edited by xman

I get the feeling that I being unreasonable to expect a cambelt to last more than 65k miles. 

After reading these replies I wish I hadn't have thought about posting here in the hope someone else may have been in a similar situation and could advise me. 

Thank you all for your time. I'm sorry that I've been a nuisance. 

Unfortunately early cambelt failure seems to be increasingly common on the 1.6tdi engine, indeed a couple of months ago, I was walking the dog when I saw an AA van assisting a 17 reg Superb estate 1.6tdi that turned out to be a cambelt failure. Curious, I found out it was a company car full Skoda service history on 105,000miles and had a previous cambelt change at 75,000 miles

28 minutes ago, Easytiger333 said:

I get the feeling that I being unreasonable to expect a cambelt to last more than 65k miles. 

After reading these replies I wish I hadn't have thought about posting here in the hope someone else may have been in a similar situation and could advise me. 

Thank you all for your time. I'm sorry that I've been a nuisance. 

Sadly, certain members here turn into fokwits occasionally and post most unhelpful and unsympathetic comments. Apologies, I hope I don't fall into that category.

You are in the realm of building a case against whoever, in the first instance its the seller of the car, Consumer Rights Act. As 6 months has passed the onus will be on you to prove the failure is as a result of some fault or not reasonable.

Have you talked to the seller? Did they sell the car with warranty? What was the car described as wrt service history?

Edited by xman
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, UrbanPanzer said:

I would not consider 65k high mileage, irrespective if it's a second hand car or not.

I must have misread, I thought their vehicle had done 145K, that was probably what they claim the service interval is, I agree with you, 65K is not high mileage.

The belt has probably failed due to an external influence, water pump bearing, tensioner bearing, oil contamination etc.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, xman said:

Sadly, certain members here turn into fokwits occasionally and post most unhelpful and unsympathetic comments.

Yep, I've noticed in my 12 years on here, some do like to see fellow members in predicaments and put the boot in given half a chance............

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Easytiger333 said:

My apologies, I had incorrectly 145K miles in my head when I wrote the posting.

My error and apology aside I still don't think you have any claim against Skoda and agree with what Xman says regarding your claim and about my behaving like a fokwit 😳

1 minute ago, Berisford said:

Yep, I've noticed in my 12 years on here, some do like to see fellow members in predicaments and put the boot in given half a chance............

Not intentionally and without malice, I was mistaken with the mileage, I have apologised and do so again for the 3rd and hopefully last time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@J.R.  Your humility is impressive. My comment was aimed at a wider audience actually.

Hopefully @Easytiger333 will get back and answer my questions. He's only had the car 6 months and 3500 miles, we need to explore warranty and seller responsibilities first before making any case against Skoda UK.

• Like 2

They put the Cambelt @ 5 years / 50,000 miles. Intending that as what comes soonest.  

Just as Wet Clutch DSG's will be at 40,000 miles if that is before 4 years has passed,

1168293554_37335614_Screenshot2021-09-14at07_38_18(3).webp.ee5b8a609f78b3b2f42441d7532010fa.webp.99fd848152f92fa6dc8a60146e657e5a.jpg

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/399720-octavia-iii-2015-16-tdi-cam-belt-intervals

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/408046-16tdi-4years-80000-miles-should-i-change-my-cambelt

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/329316-16-tdi-update-timing-belt-every-5-years

Edited by roottoot

39 minutes ago, roottoot said:

They put the Cambelt @ 5 years / 50,000 miles. Intending that as what comes soonest.  

Just as Wet Clutch DSG's will be at 40,000 miles if that is before 4 years has passed,

1168293554_37335614_Screenshot2021-09-14at07_38_18(3).webp.ee5b8a609f78b3b2f42441d7532010fa.webp.99fd848152f92fa6dc8a60146e657e5a.jpg

Sorry for slight change of topic but your posting @roottoot has got me a little worried. Can I respectfully ask if wet DSG oil change has become (or always has been) time-limited at 4 years?  I’ve only ever read 40k miles being written and not time related. I declined the offer of this at my 4 year service (a few months ago) as was still some way off 40k miles, and the service booker agreed it was 40k miles for my car.

• Like 1

I read roots table as anything below the line is the time frame at the top of the column. Anything above the line is time and mileage. Certainly matches with what I thought was the service schedules and other advice all over the interwebs and service centers.

Edit: cambelt being the exception as no-one seems to know what the mileage is. Apart from the 60k quoted up there 👆

Edited by MarkyG82

Being an ex lease vehicle it was probably sold with a one year warranty (60,000) miles 

I’m afraid as a used car buyer you will have an uphill struggle getting any support from Skoda 

I would move on if your looking at. Keeping the car I would look at going down the recon engine route 

there are som good companies out there supplying re manufactured engines even TPS if your workshop have an account 

can be cheaper than you think 

Friend of mine in Czech has a 2016 190 tdi combi the same as mine. I changed my cambelt at 5yrs/~100k km so I told him to see if his was due to be replaced. Skoda garage sent him away and said interval was 200k km! No time limit!

Unfortunately for you, a recommendation to change the cambelt at 5 years or 145,000 miles is not a guarantee that it will last that long. I agree that it is reasonable to expect that it will, & many people will have exceeded those figures, but as in your case, there are also cases where, for whatever reason, a failure occurs before reaching those recommendations.

• Like 1

The industry works to MTBF (mean time between failures) to establish maintenance schedules, yet often despite millions of miles of testing problems manifest in service reducing what the test figures had indicated.

Any working component will have a life just as humans do, the mean is the average time for failure, a significant amount of failures will occur very early on, these may be manufacturing faults or a combination of the tolerances of the failed part and the mating part, a part may fail due to the deficiency of another part that itself still functions.

Were you to see a distribution curve of timing belt failures from the test data some would fail immediately, some relatively early in service (say 64k miles) rising to a peak at the MTBF figure and dropping again on the other side of the curve, I got 325000 miles out of a timing belt, an extreme case balanced by another that failed at 64k, that does not mean that the part was clearly faulty when fitted, that is just an oft repeated consumer mantra.

• Love it! 1

In this case its irrelevant what the cambelt interval is or is not.

Man buys 3 yr old car, ex lease, so I presume sold by a dealer/garage with full service history. Warranty has in law to be a minimum of 6 months, I would imagine 12 months is likely on a newish car.

Its engine gets trashed 6 months later and 3500 miles. Exact sequence of events yet to be established. Surely this is simply a used car warranty issue. If the seller refuses to resolve it, the owner has rights under the Consumer rights act. Granted it may involve building a case now that 6 months have passed.

If it had a fairly normal 12 month warranty, or maybe if was an approved used Skoda they have 24 months then there should be no argument.

The owner is not a Skoda technician woth detailed knowledge of cambelts, maintenance or whatever. The onus was on the seller to advise that the cambelt was overdue and he had to change the cambelt immediately. And the description full service history is incorrect, or creative.

It is not helpful constantly posting a price list and calling it a mandatory service schedule. It is not. It is simply a marketing flyer.

I fear the aggressive tone of the ill considered replies from more than one member) has understandably made the OP think "f it with this forum". No one answered his query, which was what was the experience of others that had suffered the same issue (broken cambelt)

We'd be lucky to hear from him again I think.

Edited by xman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

@xman Where has anyone in this thread called the Fixed Service & Maintenance price list a "mandatory service schedule' or implied it is?

Skoda refers to Manufacturers Recommendations or spcifications only and will not furnish a Schedule.

*These recommendations are not readily available to any owner even from Skoda Approved repairers / main dealerships.*

The price list is to show nothing other than somehow someone at Skoda had that compiled and published and that is about as much a guidance as anyone gets from Skoda UK as asking at a Main Dealership gets you all kinds of answers. 

One common one is that the Cambelt Inspection or change went from 4 years to 5 hears at some time. 

The Skoda Used Carr Warranty T&C's on Servicing.     Maybe not worth the words it contains but at least it is published.

36172_SKODA_Approved_Used_Warranty_Dec20_SINGLES.pdf

Screenshot 2022-02-04 17.35.46.png

Edited by roottoot