Wireless Carplay not working

Hello, I just took delivery of a brand new VRS. As of now i hadn’t bothered with the carplay . Now i try to connect my phone wirelessly, and a prompt pops up saying i should turn on wifi via the infotainment to do so?? So i go into the countless menus and I swear i didn’t see wifi settings anywhere. Bluetooth audio works fine by the way. Tried disconnecting and reconnecting the phone, no luck. Checked my phone settings and carplay is enabled, it is connected to the car, however the car wants its wifi to be turned on?? Please advise.

Edited by Zhivkov00

Just now, PetrolDave said:

Wireless CarPlay connects in two stages, initial connection is by Bluetooth then using Bluetooth a WiFi connection is negotiated which is used for actual CarPlay data transfer.

How do i establish such wifi connection? When i click on smartlink in the menu, then carplay, it prompts me the messsage. 

2 minutes ago, Zhivkov00 said:

How do i establish such wifi connection? When i click on smartlink in the menu, then carplay, it prompts me the messsage. 

WiFi has to be enabled on the phone and whatever you need to do on the car to enable its WifI (can't help with that as I don't own an Octavia IV).

Just now, PetrolDave said:

WiFi has to be enabled on the phone and whatever you need to do on the car to enable its WifI (can't help with that as I don't own an Octavia IV).

That’s the problem, on the car when i click on enable wifi nothing happens. Then i went into the settings to search for wifi and enable it manually, no luck.  Nothing is shown in the owners manual either…

Dunno, i looked up the spec sheet for my vrs, it says it includes the style trim level, which by itselft should have wireless carplay and android auto included. If the module wasn’t included, shouldn’t it say “you dont have access to wifi” or something like that, where as now when i click on switch on wifi (from the prompt) nothing happens. Odd indeed.

I’m having the same issue with my car delivered last week - I can’t get CarPlay to work with out connecting via usb cable. 

When trying to connect wirelessly I get the same message to turn on Wi-Fi but this does nothing and no Wi-Fi option in the menu.

I suspect, as does the dealer, that this is a software error and some form of update will be required! Great! 

I thought you needed to make the first connection using a cable and wireless carplay would work after that was done. Maybe they've left the WiFi module out because of the shortages. 

It might be true you have to connect carplay the first time using a wired connection but i'm using it wireless for a few months without problems. You must enable the in car hot-spot via the system settings. Connect your phone to the car hot-spot and voila: wireless carplay.

15 minutes ago, Bechrissed said:

It might be true you have to connect carplay the first time using a wired connection but i'm using it wireless for a few months without problems. You must enable the in car hot-spot via the system settings. Connect your phone to the car hot-spot and voila: wireless carplay.

I think the issue here and in my case is that there is no option to enable in car Wi-Fi/ hot spot in any of the menus. On trying to connect wirelessly a pop up asks to anabke Wi-Fi but this doesn’t do anything and kicky you back to the start of the process to connect the phone wirelessly! 

There must be some software or hardware issue…

Soo went to the dealer today, we checked the demo RS they had received a week ago and it also didn’t have the wifi menu. Then we checked an Octavia iV from a couple months back(also a demo) and it had it. Dealer said Skoda hasn’t told them anything regarding a problem with the wifi module or anything at all related to it. We checked the part numbers of the hardware and mine and the other RS’s part numbers end with a J, where as the older one ends with G. We scheduled a diagnostics run for tomorrow to see if there is any way for software activation or if the whole module is missing and Skoda just kept quiet. Afterwards the dealer is going to make an inquiry to Skoda about this issue to see what the official statement is…

4 minutes ago, Zhivkov00 said:

if the whole module is missing and Skoda just kept quiet.

that would be hilarious if they just didn't put it in somehow. But mine ends with a J and it has wi-fi. So maybe it is just software, maybe they just forgot to tick some box for UK cars.

1 minute ago, zetzet said:

that would be hilarious if they just didn't put it in somehow. But mine ends with a J and it has wi-fi. So maybe it is just software, maybe they just forgot to tick some box for UK cars.

I am from Bulgaria so i doubt it is country related. IMO this problem defeats the whole purpose of wireless charging for obvious reasons….

6 minutes ago, Zhivkov00 said:

I am from Bulgaria so i doubt it is country related. IMO this problem defeats the whole purpose of wireless charging for obvious reasons….

I have the same issue and I’m UK based, my head unit part number ends in H. 

I’d be really interested in knowing the outcome from your dealer.

The dealership I brought the car from has suggested a software issue but are generally being pretty unhelpful and cannot tell me if there is actually an update available to fix it! They have suggested the only way to find out if there is an update is to plug the car into the diagnostic system. As they’re a couple of hours drive away, I don’t want to go unless I know there is an chance of getting this resolved! 

Surely, if they have my VIN number they could just search on some Skoda system to see if there is an update for my car?Apparently not according to them!

22 minutes ago, Lee_P said:

The dealership I brought the car from has suggested a software issue but are generally being pretty unhelpful and cannot tell me if there is actually an update available to fix it! They have suggested the only way to find out if there is an update is to plug the car into the diagnostic system. As they’re a couple of hours drive away, I don’t want to go unless I know there is an chance of getting this resolved! 

Surely, if they have my VIN number they could just search on some Skoda system to see if there is an update for my car?Apparently not according to them!

I don’t think they can. Fun fact - when i got the car on friday it didn’t work, then an update popped up, i thought oh wow there’s the fix, but nope, still doesn’t work. The other RS had different (older) software version than mine and still didn’t have. Very interesting indeed.

1 hour ago, Lee_P said:

Yes, your dealer should be able to check if there are updates for your car.

I say that because my dealer can for my car - speaking to the Service Manager about a couple of niggles the other day. He then spoke to the Master Technician who informed us that there are a couple of updates.

2 minutes ago, sneal said:

Yes, your dealer should be able to check if there are updates for your car.

I say that because my dealer can for my car - speaking to the Service Manager about a couple of niggles the other day. He then spoke to the Master Technician who informed us that there are a couple of updates.

Interesting. Today head of service was with us and basically said nothing can be done about the issue.. nevertheless i hope tomorrow there is some magical fix

On 07/02/2022 at 15:55, Zhivkov00 said:

Soo went to the dealer today, we checked the demo RS they had received a week ago and it also didn’t have the wifi menu. Then we checked an Octavia iV from a couple months back(also a demo) and it had it. Dealer said Skoda hasn’t told them anything regarding a problem with the wifi module or anything at all related to it. We checked the part numbers of the hardware and mine and the other RS’s part numbers end with a J, where as the older one ends with G. We scheduled a diagnostics run for tomorrow to see if there is any way for software activation or if the whole module is missing and Skoda just kept quiet. Afterwards the dealer is going to make an inquiry to Skoda about this issue to see what the official statement is…

How did you get on with the diagnostic run, did you figure out what the issue was? Thanks 

1 hour ago, Lee_P said:

How did you get on with the diagnostic run, did you figure out what the issue was? Thanks 

They didn’t find anything wrong with it, no menu to activate or anything related to the problem. The issued an inquiry to Skoda headquarters regarding the issue, waiting on a response…

Hi guys, I have my octavia for six months now. When I drove if from dealer, I've "accidentally" enabled CarPlay over WiFi, and everything was working perfectly. Yesterday, I had to factory reset my iPhone X, and reinstall everything, Once, I came to my car and tried to connect to CarPlay over WiFi, to my surprise there was so many errors. Tried all sort of things, but didn't wanted to try to connect via cable. After consulting few websites/YouTube videos, I WAS ABLE to connect without any issues. This is what I had to do:

1. Siri must be enabled !!! (iPhone Settings > Siri & Search > Enable
  2. Skoda Settings > Devices > Your Phone > Delete
  3. iPhone > Settings > Bluetooth > Delete Skoda Bluetooth connection
  4. iPhone > Settings > Wifi > Skoda Wifi Connection (if any) > Forget
  5. iPhone > Settings > Confirm that Wifi is On (don't connect to Skoda)
  6. iPhone > Settings > Bluetooth > Connect to Skoda Bluetooth (verify that Skoda Bluetooth is set to visible)
  7. Skoda > CarPlay

And voila, Skoda started the CarPlay connection wizard and I'm happy again :)

Hope it helps.

• Like 2

Hello!

Thank you for the help but in our cars there is no wi-fi. You can not switch it on and can not see from the phone's wifi menu. Probably skoda didn't put in wi-fi modules in our car because of the chip shortage... That's my theory.

1 hour ago, AdamK321 said:

Hello!

Thank you for the help but in our cars there is no wi-fi. You can not switch it on and can not see from the phone's wifi menu. Probably skoda didn't put in wi-fi modules in our car because of the chip shortage... That's my theory.

That is my theory also, however the dealer said that my hardware and that of cars with it working is the same. Also Skoda hasn’t told anything about the issue to the dealers, the function should be available from Style trim and up. We are waiting on an official statement.