Columbus head unit

Tresco

Hello I'm new to the forum and although I know that this subject has been covered before I would like some fairly straightforward and simple information of what I can do with regard to the troublesome Columbus head unit !!

So some background - I have owned my Superb for 4 years. In July 2020 I had an accident, not a car accident, and I couldn't drive for 7 months. The car was used occasionally by my OH, but not regularly. Eventually got back behind the wheel and tried to get my mobile connected, it had been paired and although the details showed on the MFD screen it wouldn't connect.

It wasn't mega important to me so I left it as it was.

Move forward to a couple of weeks or so ago and the radio started going off with a bang through the speakers, coming back on, going off etc. Then it worked fine for a few days and now off and on again.

So what to do?

I'm in France which makes things perhaps more difficult. The car is RHD. I hope to be in the UK later in the year.

I guess what I need to know is can the unit be repaired?

Or does it just need updating?

Is replacing the unit with one from here a better idea?

https://audiotechdirect.com/oem-style-units/skoda/

Which one should I go for?

I will need to rely on my OH to do any unit replacing for me 😉.

The thought of driving 5 hours to get to a ferry port with no radio fills me with dread 🤣.

The Bluetooth pairing and the radio cutting out with a thump are not related I think. Just coincidental that you have two faults.

Disconnect the Bluetooth unit under the drivers seat and reset it, then re pair your phone might be a cure for that (but with a faulty Columbus there's always a possibility that Bluetooth problems can't be addressed until you get that fixed).

The thumping sound invariably is the radio board in the unit needs replacing. There are a few different ones depending on what unit you actually have, but best case it'll be a £90 fix for me to do, worst case it'll mean the cost of parts makes it uneconomical (new radio board & main board cost in the region of £300 to buy, then labour to replace).

17 hours ago, Rustynuts said:

The Bluetooth pairing and the radio cutting out with a thump are not related I think. Just coincidental that you have two faults.

Disconnect the Bluetooth unit under the drivers seat and reset it, then re pair your phone might be a cure for that (but with a faulty Columbus there's always a possibility that Bluetooth problems can't be addressed until you get that fixed).

The thumping sound invariably is the radio board in the unit needs replacing. There are a few different ones depending on what unit you actually have, but best case it'll be a £90 fix for me to do, worst case it'll mean the cost of parts makes it uneconomical (new radio board & main board cost in the region of £300 to buy, then labour to replace).

Hi Rustynuts

TIMG20220219103913.thumb.jpg.adaa0c5aa485eda0f4d8f8ea97b95ae2.jpghank you for your reply.

I have attached a photo of my unit.

This morning it has stayed on, maybe because the sun is shining. 

Are these units affected by the weather?

If you are able to repair the unit are they posted to you or what?

If so it would have to wait until I visit the UK ☺️

1 minute ago, Rustynuts said:

I'm just moving house so not really able to offer repairs currently. Sold off loads of stuff and now don't have a workshop for the foreseeable future I'm afraid.

That's a shame.

Good luck with your house move.

• 2 weeks later...

Another question 😃

Can anyone recommend or suggest anywhere in the Southwest where I could get the unit looked at and hopefully repaired?

When I come over to the UK I go to Cornwall.

We had the awful thump on our Columbus Head Unit (Superb 2013). Accompanied by a complete loss of the the navigation system.

In June 2021, I just messaged Rustynuts directly after searching the forums. I live in Northern Ireland - posted the unit to him and not only did he fix that radio board - For a reasonable fee, he also updated maps which had never been updated since we got the car. 

I thought he was very reasonably priced. I thought he was very patient with my non-techy level of understanding. And I was delighted to get the head unit back and fitted back into the Skoda.

I'm gutted for you that Rustynuts is without a workshop at the minute, because this guy is the genuine article. I hope you get sorted. 

Our Columbus is going great and I really should have left some kind of public feedback for Rustynuts back when he sorted us out.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

I'm back for some more advice please.

I'm travelling to the UK next week.

I have provisionally booked my car into Skoda in Cornwall where they can do an hour of diagnostic and possible software updates or the unit.

They quoted for supplying and fitting a new unit £2899 - nearly fell off my chair.

Anyway my question is should I go ahead and get them to do the diagnostics etc or is it not worth the time and money?

What other options are there?

Thanks

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, bifferbob said:

Did you get this sorted, I have the same issue but did a solder fix on one of the chips and hopefully its sorted it.

Hi 

No not yet.

In the end I didn't bother going to Skoda as when I turned up for the planned appointment they hadn't booked my car in.

Instead having read Nathanio's post I have purchased a replacement unit from Audio Tech Direct.

I'm hoping that by following his post all will go well.

My unit has been working slightly better as it's hot here, about 26° today. It doesn't like the damp!!

Mine is definitely fixed, its been perfect today.

Its really quite easy to do if your confident around a soldering iron. Its basically one chip that needs a gentle re solder. flux  £5 from ebay and a very thin soldering tip........... 10 minutes max .

All the best

14 hours ago, bifferbob said:

Mine is definitely fixed, its been perfect today.

Its really quite easy to do if your confident around a soldering iron. Its basically one chip that needs a gentle re solder. flux  £5 from ebay and a very thin soldering tip........... 10 minutes max .

All the best

Thanks for your reply.

Is it obvious what needs soldering?

Another reason for changing to a different unit is that the Bluetooth doesn't work.

I also had to have the instrument cluster repaired as the needles had started fading - company in Portsmouth did it for me on my last trip to the UK.

Hi Tresco

Check my post out.. It gives enough info on how to do the fix.

The chip is quite small but a fine tip will be ok, use plenty of flux and just gently run the tip over the contacts a few times..... I’m no soldering guru and bought the iron and flux for under £20...!

Just be gentle with the ribbon cables and take plenty of photos to make sure you put it back together ok.

Good luck and feel free to ask me any questions.

Bob.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Having taken the non working heat unit out we had a look at repairing it, but we're a bit stumped 🤔.

Neither of us at that technically minded.

So we fitted the unit I purchased when I was in the UK.

All seems to be ok so far, radio, Bluetooth and WiFi all working. 

IMG_20220604_165807.jpg

• Like 1

OK so a couple of things to sort out.

I'm hoping @Nathaniocan help with one. The head unit screen shows the passenger door is open when it's the driver's door that's open. Is this an easy fix?

The second thing is that I now have an error warning for the airbag.

Can anyone advise how to clear this?

1) you need to go into the advanced menu and swap it. I think the pin 3368

2) Did you disconnect the fascia and turn on the ignition? If so then the airbag light is part of the airbag circuit. You'll need Carista or VCDS to clear

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Nathanio said:

1) you need to go into the advanced menu and swap it. I think the pin 3368

2) Did you disconnect the fascia and turn on the ignition? If so then the airbag light is part of the airbag circuit. You'll need Carista or VCDS to clear

Thank you @Nathanio I have changed the door setting.

There is someone nearby who should have the necessary equipment to remove the error code. 

Here I am again with more questions!!

The chap who could remove the airbag error code is away, not sure when he will return to sunny France.

I know nothing about how to buy or use a suitable Carista or VCDS system.

So some expertly and simply explained advice would be useful.

Alternatively I will be in Cornwall later this month - are there any members living in the beautiful Cornish countryside who could offer assistance or suggest anyone who could remove the offending error code?

@Nathaniosorry to be a pain, but hoping you can help.

I have been playing music downloaded on a USB plugged into the new head unit with the supplied cable.

OK for two days, but when I got back in the car today no music and USB not showing on the Music tab.

I've tried a different USB and an MP3, but no device showing and therefore no music.

I have plugged my phone into the cable and it charges so obviously the USB cable is ok.

Any ideas?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/06/2022 at 20:50, Tresco said:

@Nathaniosorry to be a pain, but hoping you can help.

I have been playing music downloaded on a USB plugged into the new head unit with the supplied cable.

OK for two days, but when I got back in the car today no music and USB not showing on the Music tab.

I've tried a different USB and an MP3, but no device showing and therefore no music.

I have plugged my phone into the cable and it charges so obviously the USB cable is ok.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Did you get this sorted bud? I just installed one, from your post, can't get sound, although sometimes comes on then stops. Mines doing the opposite door thing too. Actually not doing what yours is, music appears to be playing, just no sound. James at audio tec said to disconnect battery for a while then reconnect, but doesn't seem to be working. I'll phone them again tomorrow. 

4 hours ago, Bigbadpod said:

Did you get this sorted bud? I just installed one, from your post, can't get sound, although sometimes comes on then stops. Mines doing the opposite door thing too. Actually not doing what yours is, music appears to be playing, just no sound. James at audio tec said to disconnect battery for a while then reconnect, but doesn't seem to be working. I'll phone them again tomorrow. 

Oops should have updated my post.

I contacted Auto Tech Direct who suggested that I try plugging the USB device directly into the back of the unit. So got my OH to unscrew it so that I could access the USB ports.

I had the lead plugged into the bottom of the three ports so tried this one first - nothing.

Tried the other two and they both work (at the moment!!).

I had purchased another USB extension lead at the massive cost of 50 centimes in a local end of line shop so plugged this into one port and the lead that came with the unit in the other one, but nothing in the bottom one.

These both work and will hopefully continue to do so.

The opposite door thing is fixable by going into settings - I would need to check the exact route to get there, which settings etc. and you need a code to get in which is 3368. 

If you need me to look let me know.

• 1 year later...
On 19/02/2022 at 12:26, Rustynuts said:

I'm just moving house so not really able to offer repairs currently. Sold off loads of stuff and now don't have a workshop for the foreseeable future I'm afraid.

Hello, do you still offer repairs? My columbus unit had recently developed some issues and could do with someone to fix it before I consider replacing the head unit for an aftermarket one.