Thinking of buying a Yeti

richard999

Hi Everybody.

We need to change my wife’s very old Renault Clio.

We want

Automatic

Raised Driving position

Air Con

Parking sensors

My car is a Skoda Superb Estate Auto and I am pleased with the Skoda Brand.

someone has suggested the Yeti might be suitable

I would be grateful if any owners would give me their opinion of the car

Thanks

I would say that it would fulfill your needs and feel very familiar.

I have come from 2 Octavia Combis and the only thing the Yeti lacks for me is volume and useable cargo space but then it is shorter and easier to get in tight spaces, the Flex seating is very good and makes the most of what there is, the lack of a spare wheel space on the 4x4 under the variofloor is a real loss, I take a space saver on long journeys but others will tell you it is not legal as it was not homologated, that alone takes up most of the luggage space and a full size one would be even worse, I reckon one rear seat would have to be inclined to fit it in.

The above was quite visible and known to me when i made the choice and I have no regrets, its a cracking package overall just not suited to my next few years renovating a property.

Thanks JR

we are going to look at a Yeti near us on Monday.

Are you saying they don’t have a spare wheel?

This is a big no no for me. When I bought my Superb, there was no spare wheel. Just a repair kit which I believe would ruin the tyre if used.

There was a well under the floor and I insisted they supply me with a spare wheel. I’ve had several punctures over the years and would have been stuck without the spare.

You need to get the dealer to provide the proper, Skoda supplied spare wheel kit.  The kit includes 195/60x16" spare wheel, jack, tools, stowage boxes and false floor.  With this kit in place, the false floor sits level with bottom of the tailgate opening.

• Like 2

Get the yeti. We are now on our third one, first one (auto) written off by some idiot at a junction, second one (manual) just traded in for an automatic which my partner needs as she canoot drive manuals due to nearly having her left leg cut off. We are delighted with the new one so far but have to get the spare wheel for it. Honestly you wont be disappointed.

34 minutes ago, roottoot said:

@richard999 What year of Yeti are you going to look at and with what engine?

It’s 1.2 Petrol 2016 Price is £14750

here’s the spec

HPi Clear - 1 Previous owner - Service History - 12 months MOT - 24 Months Warranty available + Lovely well cared for example - Clean air zone free veichle - Park Assist - Bluetooth with media streaming - Cruise Control - Automatic lights - Good Tyres+Brakes-Stunning and HP-PCP Finance Available-Driveaway Insurance-All Major Cards Accepted-Full Dealer Facilities-Export Enquiries Welcome-Nationwide Delivery NO BUYERS FEES - Buy with confidence from a dealership established in Birmingham since 1981. 12v power point in centre console, 12V power point in luggage area, 3 height adjustable rear headrests, 3 point seatbelts on all seats, ABS + EDL + ASR + MSR + ESC, Adjustable storage box in luggage compartment right, Aero wiper + intermittent function, Alarm with interior monitoring and tilt sensor, Anti-theft wheel bolts, Bluetooth Telephone preparation, Body coloured bumpers, Body coloured door handles, Body coloured door mirrors, Body coloured side sills, Chrome inner door handles, Cool box in glove compartment, Cruise control, Cupholders in centre console, Curtain airbags, Door mirror integrated indicators, Driver and passenger airbags, Driver and passenger seatbelts with warning light, Driver and passenger side airbags, Driver seat height adjust, Drivers knee airbag, Dual zone automatic air conditioning with humidity sensor and control, Dust/pollen filter, Elec heated + adjust door mirrors, Electric front windows, Electric rear windows with child safety lock, Electro-mechanical PAS, Folding grab handles with rear coat hooks, Front centre armrest with storage compartment, Front door pockets with bottle holders, Front/rear reading lights, Fuel supply cut off, HBA (Hydraulic Brake Assist), Headlight washers, Heated rear windscreen, Height adjustable front head restraints, Height adjustable front seatbelts + pretensioners, Height/reach adjust steering wheel, Hill hold control, Illuminated glovebox, Immobiliser, Interior courtesy light operated by door switches, Isofix system on outer rear seats, Lashing eyelets in boot, Leather gear knob and handbrake grip, Low washer fluid indicator, Luggage compartment lighting, Luggage rails, Maxi dot trip computer, Net programme, Outside temperature gauge, Passenger airbag deactivate switch, Passenger seat height adjuster, Rear centre armrest with cupholders, Rear foglights, Rear wiper, Remote central locking, Removable LED light in boot, Rev counter with clock, Service interval indicator, Storage box in dash, Sunset glass from b-pillar back, Sunvisors with vanity mirrors, Ticket holder, Two tone horn, Tyre pressure monitor, Varioflex individually removeable/folding rear seats

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Robjon said:

You need to get the dealer to provide the proper, Skoda supplied spare wheel kit.  The kit includes 195/60x16" spare wheel, jack, tools, stowage boxes and false floor.  With this kit in place, the false floor sits level with bottom of the tailgate opening.

Thanks Robjon. I’ll ask for that.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, darfash01 said:

Get the yeti. We are now on our third one, first one (auto) written off by some idiot at a junction, second one (manual) just traded in for an automatic which my partner needs as she canoot drive manuals due to nearly having her left leg cut off. We are delighted with the new one so far but have to get the spare wheel for it. Honestly you wont be disappointed.

Thanks for the advice. Sorry about your wife. What on earth happened?

The Yeti is a great car - mine is coming up to 9 years old now, the only car I bought new and I've no intention of getting rid of it any time soon. It's been very reliable, surprisingly economical (around 42mpg - mostly short trips on local roads) and very versatile.  As others have said you can't simply bung a spare wheel in the back there are shaped supporting blocks that give extra storage and a new floor level with the rear bumper. plus the essential tools; make sure before you take the car off the forecourt in with the jack etc. is a small plastic set of tweezers - you need them to pull the wheel nut covers off and it's not unusual for them to go missing. (I speak from experience - they were missing from my brand -new-from-the-factory Yeti).  

I think everyone has answered your question regarding the spare wheel.

Mine is a 4x4 which I don't think has the indent for a full size or maybe any spare wheel.

I also carry tons of essential tools, spares, survival gear etc under a variofloor (recycled from a MK1 Octavia) which had to  be reduced by 1/3rd from what was carried in my Octavias, had i put my spacesaver under the variofloor it would have taken up all the space except for 4 little corners. So I have to travel without a spare & only carry it on long journeys which is exactly when I need the space it takes up.

If you have a non 4x4 and dont have a penchant for carrying loads of toot like I do then you will be absolutey fine, you will lose a small amount of height for carrying bike for example but will gain a flat loading space without a lip.

11 hours ago, darfash01 said:

I am sure you can get a spare wheel for a 4x4 yeti, we had them in two of ours and I intend gettng one for thr current car.

You most definitely can for the 110, 140 and 170 hp diesels, even if not spec'd from the factory.  Not sure about the 150 hp diesel with AdBlu.

54 minutes ago, Zib said:

You most definitely can for the 110, 140 and 170 hp diesels, even if not spec'd from the factory.  Not sure about the 150 hp diesel with AdBlu.

Yes you can..... its the same floor pan, and all the same options ... only diff I'm aware off is the towbar hitch storage moved to the foam box at the side of the wheel rather than under the wheel where the AD-blu tank now sits.

A spare in a 150BHP Yeti with 4WD is totally possible and was a factory and after-market option.

Edited by TruckbusUK
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Zib said:

Yes you can get a spare for the later 150. I know because I had one. 
The only difference in the fittings kit was the absence of the large plastic box like thing that went into the bottom of the floor, becasue that is where the AdBlue tank is.

..another +1 for getting Yeti.

Had mine for 4 years now but been looking to change it. After "testing" many small SUV's the only one I think I like is the new Toyota Yaris Cross, (I want an auto), but only available new and currently a 22 week waiting list! I have also considered / tried a Vitara (no auto option on newer cars), Mazda CX30, (best interior of the bunch, but being non turbo feels very "flat"),VW T-Roc, (cheap interior), Audi Q2, (cheap interior and rather pricy for the spec), but none come close to the Yeti IMHO.

If they still made them it would be a no brainer to get another one, only problem is the "silly" prices that are being asked at the mo. (pre pandemic WBAC was offering £10.5k for mine, last weeks figure was £17k which is only £250 short of what I paid for it!...crazy!!).

..good luck with your purchase....

Edited by Stubod

I think you will be very happy with a Yeti. It is the car with the most character that I've owned. If mine had a higher output than the 110bhp it did then I think I'd still have it. The only thing it lacked, as mentioned earlier in this thread was volume, but then again you have a Superb Estate for this. If this was a deal breaker then take a look at the VW Touran, this is to me still the ultimate family vehicle and the car I've owned for longest.

Colin

Do they make them as a 4x4?

If so then it would be the ideal for my use over the next few years.

A remap absolutely transformed by 108hp Yeti, supposedly 184hp, I reckon its the standard 170 VAG map. I cant believe that the same engine without a different turbo, exhaust, injectors etc could produce so much more torque & power.