Scout Haldex Differential Noise

Last update from my side, hopefully :) 

I got my car back, no more noises from the diff or suspension, and no ESP lights on the dash anymore.

Recap:

* The tapered roller bearing in the diff was worn out. The rest of the bearings had no signs of wear.

* I believe that each bearing in the diff has its part number, so if somebody else is in this situation, remove it first and check your P/N. Mine was LM503349.

* The AWD module( 0CQ 907 554 H ) had issues with its sealing which caused water to enter inside partially damage it. Thankfully was repaired by electronics workshop and sealed back with new durable silicon.

* While the shop was soldering my module, I called the local Skoda dealer for the price of a new one and they said it's superseded by new version with OEM number 0CQ 907 554 J. (I won't share the price they gave me, because it's not correct, you can google the part number and see the prices around you)

* During the initial alignment, 6 of the alignment bolts in rear were left loose.. which means all of them(not sure how this could happen). This caused metal suspension noises.

* All the bolts are tight now, diff and its control module are on the car and everything seems to be fine now - no noises or errors from the AWD module in VCDS.

Edited by fr1nklyn
  • Like 1

Let's hope it is correctly aligned, maybe the fitter left them loose knowing it needed a  4 wheel alignment but they skipped it.

Does it track straight ?

4 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Let's hope it is correctly aligned, maybe the fitter left them loose knowing it needed a  4 wheel alignment but they skipped it.

Does it track straight ?

That was my theory as well. But then why the aligner didn’t tightened them?! Really can’t tell..

I have to do alignment once again as advised by the garage which fitted the diff and its module, but the car tracks straight now and have no issues so far, so I want to enjoy the moment 😂

• Like 1

On 18/07/2023 at 20:25, fr1nklyn said:

I got my car back, no more noises from the diff or suspension, and no ESP lights on the dash anymore.

Recap:

* The tapered roller bearing in the diff was worn out. The rest of the bearings had no signs of wear.

* I believe that each bearing in the diff has its part number, so if somebody else is in this situation, remove it first and check your P/N. Mine was LM503349.

* The AWD module( 0CQ 907 554 H ) had issues with its sealing which caused water to enter inside partially damage it. Thankfully was repaired by electronics workshop and sealed back with new durable silicon.

* While the shop was soldering my module, I called the local Skoda dealer for the price of a new one and they said it's superseded by new version with OEM number 0CQ 907 554 J. (I won't share the price they gave me, because it's not correct, you can google the part number and see the prices around you)

* During the initial alignment, 6 of the alignment bolts in rear were left loose.. which means all of them(not sure how this could happen). This caused metal suspension noises.

* All the bolts are tight now, diff and its control module are on the car and everything seems to be fine now - no noises or errors from the AWD module in VCDS.

Which are regarded as alignment bolts ? There are only 8 bolts that hold the subrame in  and of those ony 2 have shoulders on them . Aingment  or tracking would normally be by lower wishbone bolts .  very strange

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Update from me. I paid Pilbeam (Hailsham, Sussex) about £1100 and they took out my rear diff. Car sat for two weeks or so at their yard whilst Bexhill Gearboxes serviced the diff (they fitted one new bearing I believe, and the £380 they charged was in the Pilbeam invoice). Pilbeam put it all back together again. Bill included fitting a new coupling (which I bought from Autodoc for £140 I think). Car is now quiet and going well (although I still have my issue, see another thread, with my lurching/eccentric sensation at ~1700rpm in third, ~1600 in fourth, and odd at other times – car booked in to Diplocks Injectors, Hailsham on 15th to check fuel delivery system). Diff fixed £1250  :O)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/07/2023 at 22:25, fr1nklyn said:

Recap:

Greetings fr1nklyn,

May I know the name of the repair shop where your car was fixed? I am based in Sofia and I have similar issue with my 2015 Octavia 1.6 TDI. All the shops I called told me they do not service diffs, just replace them if I manage to find one.

Предварително благодаря!

12 hours ago, asdzax said:

Greetings fr1nklyn,

May I know the name of the repair shop where your car was fixed? I am based in Sofia and I have similar issue with my 2015 Octavia 1.6 TDI. All the shops I called told me they do not service diffs, just replace them if I manage to find one.

Предварително благодаря!

Sure!

The shop which removed the diff is the VAG service center Elbatron https://forum.vwclub.bg/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=44549&start=180

They don’t repair diffs and transmissions, so I sent it to this workshop in Burgas which mainly work on BMWs https://www.bmw-shper.com

(I couldn’t find someone is Sofia who has tools to measure the bearing gaps, etc)

Most likely you won’t need, but just in case the guy who soldered my AWD module is https://avto-elektronchik.bg/contacts.html

I highly recommend you to change also the rear driveshaft coupling if it hasn’t been changed already. I don’t have P/N on the invoice but I think it’s 5Q0521307.

Ask or PM me directly if you have any questions. Good luck!

Edited by fr1nklyn
  • Like 3