Last job on list.

The one labelled 'front bolt, M12' in my image of console plus wishbone. Access to stick penetrating fluid in is shown in my image of the console with old style bush.

Anticipating your next question, the part number is N 10640301.

Ah, not original.

I wouldn't expect any trouble from that design, so maybe look elsewhere for any noises you're hearing (or aren't you?)

Bit hard to tell from that photo, is that a crack in the top left rubber web?

Edited by Pete_Ex-Wino

I could only look quickly but I thought it looked like a crack in the rubber mounting as well and would be shocked if was noise from else where as ive changed everything last year as you may recall lol and yes i know I should have done these at same time im a doughnut.

yeah i know the previous owner she had it for 13 years and says she has not had them changed so it must have been first owner which means they were changed within 5 years of new.

Should be a lot cheaper than that from a dealership, or TPS if you can get served there. I use this site as a price guide, but not often for actually buying stuff cos their delivery can be waaaay slow, but see prices (which are close to RRP I think): Porsche / Volkswagen / Audi / Seat / Skoda Hex Collared Bolt N10640301 - LLLParts

Edited by Pete_Ex-Wino

The main issues with the M12 bolts in the console is not the bolts themselves, the threads can suffers from some sort of corrosion (galvanic corrosion) between the alloy console and the steel bolt, meaning that quite often the bolt brings the console threads out with them, rendering the consoles pretty much scrap.

New bolts from VAG come with a coating on the threads, not infact any type of threadlock, but an anti corrosion substance to stop it happening, hence VAG saying the bolts are one use types.

Edited by Lofty
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Aye that's the one! It's been doing it since not long after I bought the car last March. I've got a pair of bushes there from PSB but I'm waiting until I can be bothered to fit them or until I can't stick the noise any longer. :D

If nothing else fitting those bushes will sharpen up the steering and make cornering feel much more stable.

• Like 1

Just now, sepulchrave said:

If nothing else fitting those bushes will sharpen up the steering and make cornering feel much more stable.

Oh it needs that. It has currently got the handling characteristics of a blancmange.

38 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Oh it needs that. It has currently got the handling characteristics of a blancmange.

Wow posh up your end instant whip by me lol.

• Haha 1

I had PSB ones on mine but found them a bit harsh. I changed them for Meyle HD ones.

58dba87f11249-Meylefrontbush-png-57d156f

Went in very easily with a home-made tool.

006.jpg

Edited by TMB
  • Like 1

In the factory workshop manual it shows the standard bushings have a moulded , I guess pimple is the best description , indicator (1) which you line up with a mark on the console (2). I assume as the TCA has a hexagon shaped locator this is to ensure the TCA sits in the correct orentation.

Looking at the PSB it looks like it is has a small cut out on the edge of the inner material to align the same way?

image.png.de0feeb6b85a842dc435fe4621cdfcc4.png

2 hours ago, Stewartasb said:

Right do if I use a voulle of hacksaw blades I should be able to just cut the old ones out yes ???

All I did was pass the hacksaw blade through a void in the bush, then I reconnected it to my hacksaw frame so I could cut through the rubber and into the nylon sleeve enough to weaken it, then I removed the blade, walloped a drift between the nylon sleeve and the console, whereupon the sleeve split and the bush could be easily knocked out. 

It's probably taken longer to write this than it took to actually do.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, DieselMonte said:

Does anyone take the console off the car off the car or is it more hassle doing it that way?

I left the consoles on when I did mine and instead of cutting the bushes out with a hacksaw I heated the console bush housings with a blow torch and it softened the bush outer plastic shells enough to poke a screwdriver between the bush and housing and lever them out.

Edited by TMB
  • Like 3