Bouncy When Loaded

I'm noticing more and more lately that when I have weight in the car the rear is very bouncy over undulations in the road and speed bumps.

By weight, im talking a full car, ie 3 adults and 1 early teenager. I'm even starting to notice it when its just me and the missus and we've bought something heavy, such as compost bags for the garden

Am i looking at rear springs, shocks or both?

The car doesn't sit unevenly or sit particularly low that I can notice so I don't think anything is broken

2017 245 estate

Bouncing normally suggests shocks as their job is to damp down vertical motion.

Have you tried the 'corner test' where you push down on each corner and see if the car does more than just one small rebound?

31 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

Bouncing normally suggests shocks as their job is to damp down vertical motion.

Have you tried the 'corner test' where you push down on each corner and see if the car does more than just one small rebound?

I haven't, il give it a try next time I'm outside

12 minutes ago, john999boy said:

Presumably the tyres are inflated to their full load setting?

Yeah, running the 19" extremes and pressures are all correct. I run them at the high end of the scale even when its just me in the car for 90% of the time

Edited by Stokesy

@Stokesy  I have bouncy front suspension because the shocks have lost a lot of oil only 21k miles, my rear shocks are ok but make strange noises when going over speed humps
I have been told that its a very common problem for VAG cars having shocks fail early.

Cheers for that

I've been working so much i havent had a chance to have a proper look yet but hopefully this weekend il have the free time

Sounds like its going to be 2 new shocks, is it worth changing springs at the same time or will they generally be ok

3 minutes ago, Stokesy said:

Cheers for that

I've been working so much i havent had a chance to have a proper look yet but hopefully this weekend il have the free time

Sounds like its going to be 2 new shocks, is it worth changing springs at the same time or will they generally be ok

I'm changing the springs on mine to the Eibach pro kit for a couple of reasons,  I only want to do the job once & feel using the original springs is false economy if one snaps &  i have to do the same job again. The other reason is that the genuine springs are more than £100 each & the Eibachs cost me £175 for front & rears & have 5 year warranty. Eibach seem to think that its probably them that make the original springs on my car because it has what Skoda call sport suspension but would be more expensive because of having to special order them.

On 14/04/2022 at 20:23, Stokesy said:

Cheers for that

no, springs are usually a somewhat long lasting. Shocks are more likely to fail as the seals perish quite easily. The only time a spring is going to end up failing is with age and / or a break in the outer coating wearing off and leading to it rusting. A car of 5 years, unless you wish to go lower with lowing spring and accompany them with sports shocks, I'd leave the springs alone.

Springs do also sag.

But the op said the ride height is OK. I found on my mk2 vrs the rear springs were at least 15mm below the manufacturer ride height spec for the sport suspension lowered pr code. From about 6 years on and got a little worse after that.

I changed springs at about 8.5 years but should of earlier. I used to hit bump stops with a fully loaded car with bumps and dips in the road. 

Agree with all though, that the springs will not be creating the bouncy undampened effect. 

Edit. Also surprising for me was the shocks were actually OK. And still felt good when I sold the car at 11 years old. But I also agree that they can and do fail early sometimes. 

Edited by TheClient

Perishable shock absorber seals? - Perish the thought!!!!

Every Skoda that I have owned has had sagging and/or broken coil springs, I have replaced them all with Lesjofors usually going for higher load rating ones on the rear.

I also agree that the dampers are what need attention but inspect the springs carefully, I bet at least one has lost the taper ground end and has a fractured end bearing on the spring platform.

• Like 2