Coasting.......

Can’t answer specifically on Superb, but my previous Kodiaq would only coast when in eco mode. My current Kodiaq   coasts in normal and eco mode when going downhill with foot lifted off accelerator pedal.

To re engage drive either press accelerator, touch the brake pedal or use steering wheel paddle or gear selector to select lower gear when going down steep hill.

Or select sports mode and it won’t coast.

Edited by Kenny R
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Kenny R said:

Can’t answer specifically on Superb, but my previous Kodiaq would only coast when in eco mode. My current Kodiaq   coasts in normal and eco mode when going downhill with foot lifted off accelerator pedal.

To re engage drive either press accelerator, touch the brake pedal or use steering wheel paddle or gear selector to select lower gear when going down steep hill.

Thanks Kenny, but I still need to know if it's switchable in some way?

My 2.0 TSI doesn't seem to have (eco) the coast facility......

You don't say whether you have DSG or not but if you do then it always coasts in eco mode (subject to not tapping the brake, obviously) otherwise it can be enabled/disabled in the Individual settings under Drive Mode.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kenny R said:

Exactly the same for my Superb Mk3 TDI190 DSG6 4x4.

Additionally, in Eco Mode, it stops coasting when driving downhill if the slope gets a bit too steep. The gearbox then automatically re-engages a gear to use engine brake. A kind of safety function. ;) 

2 hours ago, unclerichy said:

You don't say whether you have DSG or not but if you do then it always coasts in eco mode (subject to not tapping the brake, obviously) otherwise it can be enabled/disabled in the Individual settings under Drive Mode.

It is a late 21 build DSG - having tried out the 'eco' mode I didn't detect any disengaging of the drive when going downhill.

I've been into the Drive Mode options and can't find any mention of 'coasting'..............handbook is useless, just says refer to Digital Version - the one built into the info centre doesn't appear to have a search function..........and the 'online' one doesn't mention coasting!

Edited by Berisford

Note, coasting may be different upon MY. I can't really say from which MY it has changed but on my MY2017, coasting is only available in ECO Mode.

AFAIK, on more recent versions coasting is also available in Normal mode, but can't be disabled.

• Like 1

@Berisfordin Eco mode does your current gear display change from D1, D2 etc to E1, E2? My MY16 shows E in front of the gear number unless it's coasting then it just says E. The revs also drop to idle and when I accelerate again you can feel the gear engage and the revs increase.

39 minutes ago, Berisford said:

It is a late 21 build DSG - having tried out the 'eco' mode I didn't detect any disengaging of the drive when going downhill.

You have to lift your foot completely off the accelerator to engage coasting.

It work seamlessly and not easily detected. As above if you are in eco mode the gear indicator will just show E with no gear number and revs will drop to zero. 
Your late 21 model may well coast in normal mode and will show D with no gear number when you lift off going downhill.

1 hour ago, Kenny R said:

if you are in eco mode the gear indicator will just show E with no gear number and revs will drop to zero

No, it will drop down to idle at ~800 rpm. (on TDI engine at least. I don't know idle revs on TSI). ;) 

3 minutes ago, Bap33 said:

No, it will drop down to idle at ~800 rpm. (on TDI engine at least. I don't know idle revs on TSI). ;) 

Yeah, will drop to idle, don’t know why I’ve put zero.

• Like 1

On mine if you set the driving data to actual mpg it will show “coasting” when the car is coasting both in Drive or Economy modes.

What I don’t understand is why, when you take your foot off the accelerator it sometimes coasts and sometimes doesn’t in Drive mode.

You can often encourage it into coast mode by blipping the accelerator though.

39 minutes ago, Kenny R said:

Yeah, will drop to idle, don’t know why I’ve put zero.

Mistyping?... Doing 2 things at the same time?... It happens to me quite often too. ;) 

Eco-mode is annoying in terms of its working conditions required - can't have cruise control active, and u can't use the brakes!

Edited by JR RS

17 hours ago, Berisford said:

16 hours ago, Kenny R said:

Your late 21 model may well coast in normal mode and will show D with no gear number when you lift off going downhill.

Nothing to do with going downhill.  Just lifting fully off the go pedal.  Touch any pedal, change gear or put into Sport mode and it will engage the clutch again.

11 hours ago, JR RS said:

Eco-mode is annoying in terms of its working conditions required - can't have cruise control active, and u can't use the brakes!

Can do both those in our 280 in Eco mode, which I actually use most of the time, as I’ve always been a fan of coasting when I can. I know people say there is a throttle delay in Eco, but I’ve not really noticed it tbh. I find if I need to accelerate fast to overtake, depending on the speed I want to achieve, I just blip the left paddle once or twice…. OK, normally it’s the latter! 😅

7 minutes ago, numskull said:

Can do both those in our 280 in Eco mode, which I actually use most of the time, as I’ve always been a fan of coasting when I can.  😅

Well, ur a lucky guy then.

My 220 stops coasting and engages the transmission if I use the brakes, or accelerate.

Doesn't matter flat, uphill or downhill.

Eco-mode also means no engine braking.  

ACC uses engine braking to maintain speed.  If Eco-mode is active, it can't do that.  Hence ACC is disabled in Eco-mode.

Makes sense.

Maybe the 280 is special......

1 hour ago, JR RS said:

ACC uses engine braking to maintain speed.  If Eco-mode is active, it can't do that.  Hence ACC is disabled in Eco-mode.

Makes sense.

What doesn't make sense, to me at least, is that the swiveling headlights don't swivel left and right with the steering in Eco mode.

Can't see any "eco" fuel savings in inhibiting that feature.

Also, in Eco mode, the alternator doesn't kick up the voltage to 14.?? on the overrun, as it does in all other modes, so the battery doesn't get a wee boost when you take your foot off the gas.

I guess that's because the engine is running on tickover rather than a trailing throttle.

6 hours ago, cardo said:

What doesn't make sense, to me at least, is that the swiveling headlights don't swivel left and right with the steering in Eco mode.

Can't see any "eco" fuel savings in inhibiting that feature.

Yes, that one doesn't make sense indeed.  I haven't tried it, but I assume that would also stop the SLA from doing it's thing with the headlights too.

I know the Air-conditioning "power" is also reduced in Eco-mode, i.e. it takes longer to reach the desired temp.

Makes sense as this uses up fuel.

Edited by JR RS

9 hours ago, JR RS said:

Well, ur a lucky guy then.

My 220 stops coasting and engages the transmission if I use the brakes, or accelerate.

Doesn't matter flat, uphill or downhill.

Eco-mode also means no engine braking.  

Makes sense.

Maybe the 280 is special......

I didn’t say the transmission doesn’t engage when you brake, but ACC absolutely works in Eco mode, including restarting from rest however coasting is disabled so yeah, maybe the 280 is special….

8 hours ago, cardo said:

Can't see any "eco" fuel savings in inhibiting that feature…

Oh! I’ve never noticed that; I’ll check it out. But SLA definitely works in Eco - well, it was working as I drove last night on the N15 in Donegal; the mains came on and off automatically as required. 

• 2 weeks later...