Breaking news PM and Chancellor getting fines!

1 hour ago, cheezemonkhai said:

If there are not some serious changes soon, to a clean sheet top team, then the party are going to get spanked at the next GE.

The problem is who've they got left.

None inspire any confidence bar the odd one or two. The 'old guard' have all gone. Quite a few resigned out of principle and for that they should be acknowledged. I'm thinking here of the likes of Soubry, Grieve and not forgetting  Heseltine and the ex Father of the House Ken Clarke. They all seemed to have a sense of morals, duty and integrity.

There's something rotten now at the heart of it IMO.

New name coming shortly ,from Tory to " we love a party, despite the risks", party.

Johnson's probably quite happy he's in India cosying up to the populist Modi. India abstained at the UN on condemning Putin's invasion of Ukraine.
He's getting hammered in Parliament today and even from his own side.

William Wragg MP (Con) has said "I cannot reconcile myself to the PM's continued leadership of our country and the Conservative party." and went on to say "We have been working in a toxic atmosphere. The parliamentary party bears the scars of misjudgements of leadership. There can be few colleagues on this side of the House who are truly enjoying being members of parliament at the moment." and "It is utterly depressing to be asked to defend the indefensible. Each time, part of us withers."

Edited by @Lee

Just how much Boris, his wife or friends and family benefit from JCB or the companies the owner & his wife have in the past, the present  and in the future will be a question that needs answered at some point.

https://www.metro.co.uk/2021/05/22/butler-smuggled-27000-of-organic-food-into-downing-street-for-boris-14628328/

All in this together.

Many need food from food banks to be able to get by.

Give the man a job because by now he should know how to operate heavy plant, he has been in enough vehicles. 

Free or much cheapness is what floats Boris's boat.  Stuff the quality provide the quantity. 

Edited by roottoot

I see the conservatives are taking the debate about Johnson seriously. Only seven of them in there now.

I think the Met Police have said they won't be releasing the names of any more FPN recipients until after the elections in May. People will be voting for a party where they don't know if the leader has been found guilty of more illegal parties.

FQ36jqHVkAAFaTH.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, @Lee said:

I see the conservatives are taking the debate about Johnson seriously. Only seven of them in there now.

I think the Met Police have said they won't be releasing the names of any more FPN recipients until after the elections in May. People will be voting for a party where they don't know if the leader has been found guilty of more illegal parties.

FQ36jqHVkAAFaTH.jpg

PURDAH. 

So the Commons has approved a Privileges Committee investigation into Johnson for alleged misleading Parliament over Partygate.

That's three separate investigations into him now.

Sue Grey report, the Met Police investigation and now this.

When will he just do the right thing and go? 

2 hours ago, @Lee said:

I don't think that covers the police naming criminals. I think it only covers campaigning etc. 

Oh I am sure they would like pre election purdah to stop all 'harassment' of the amoral members of our government. 

I have just promised the Lib Dem candidate my vote as Labour will not get in at relatively well off Warndon villages in Worcester. Going to be painful considering how they acted in 2010 to 2015 but needs must, she is ex Labour but joined Lib Dems after Labour dithering over BREXIT stance. 

• Like 1

I wonder when he'll just do the right thing and go?

A Whitehall report into lockdown-breaking parties in Downing Street is so damning that senior officials believe it could leave Boris Johnson with no choice but to resign as prime minister, The Times has been told.

The report by Sue Gray, a senior civil servant, is understood to be highly critical of Johnson both for attending some of the events and the culture in No 10 under his leadership.

The report has been put on hold until Scotland Yard has completed its own investigations, but a senior official familiar with its contents said the findings are “damning” for Johnson.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/sue-gray-report-so-damning-boris-johnson-will-have-to-quit-9r372zdmm

FRLMT_KWYAAg7Hw.jpg

• Like 1

Sue Gray needs to own this. 

She is a Civil Servant.

This is a case of factions getting stories out against Boris.  News paper owners and editors taking a position and able to have an influence on Local Elections.

The Report has sat too long, been handed to the Met Police and who knows who else in her team/  department and others has had access to it.

There are so many people that can talk to journalists.

No point the police holding off giving information on FPN's issued until after the elections if people can leak on Sue Gray's report or spin stories on what it says. 

Journalists and politicians commenting need to get things straight.

They are £100 fines that are reduced to £50 if paid promptly. (14 days)   They always talk about £50 fines.

Skint people do not always have the money to pay a fine quickly. 

https://itv.com/news/2022-04-25/sue-gray-partygate-report-could-end-pm-as-no-confidence-letters-pile-up

Ian Murray MP should know what the fines are. 

As should Oliver Dowden MP and Chairperson of the Conservative and Unionist Party.

https://heraldscotland.com/politics/20090033.ian-murray-claims-boris-johnson-lying-undermine-democracy-evading-partygate-security/

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 3

While they partied...

The government broke the law by failing to protect more than 20,000 elderly or disabled care home residents who died after contracting COVID-19, the High Court has ruled.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-government-broke-the-law-by-failing-care-home-residents-who-died-of-coronavirus-high-court-rules-12599918?fbclid=IwAR0yuIS_KbcVB_GzsbsG_2yeoYRIbqSYPxt1ZkLME7SRSO5wZmCGMD0DlpQ

'We've thrown a protective ring around care homes'.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Metropolitan Police investigation into the Downing St gatherings has concluded with 126 FPNs
Johnson so far hasn't received a second FPN. (I remember something about a party with music from ABBA) We only have Johnson’s word that he’ll release the information about fines he received. Johnson’s word.

https://news.met.police.uk/news/mets-investigation-into-alleged-breaches-of-covid-regulations-op-hillman-concludes-448148

Time for the Sue Gray report now. They probably won't release that either.

Has anyone seen Carrie?

Edited by @Lee
  • Like 1

Shes mum. Busy busy busy making the world green.

Just a mum not the one pulling the strings anymore, well not so that we know.

There was a Spring Clear out at Downing Street. 

Lots of indispensable aids and advisers got the push to better paid jobs and a promise of a peerage soon if they do not already have one.

They might be getting a FPN in this lot and some will already have from the previous batch.

They got Pest Controllers in that worked for various media companies like Rupert Murdoch's & sponsors / friends / employers of Boris the Journalist to stop the Chatty Rat crowd causing issues.

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 1

Seemingly the person with 5 FPN's issued will have a total of £3,200 to pay as the penalty doubles as each one is issued, but then you get a 50% discount for prompt payment.

So if they had Diane Abbott doing the maths and also the accounting on the cost of the Met investigating there will be about the same figures as the Carry Out cost Keir in Durham.

The actual cost of the Sue Grey report being done will be interesting.

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 1

On 12/04/2022 at 17:31, @Lee said:

Pippa Crerar of the Mirror has, amongst others, pointed out that the Met are handing out fines on a case by case basis. Johnson was, allegedly, in attendance at no fewer than six parties so there could be another five fines coming his way. 

Also this...

Forgetting , conveniently that lots of years ago a Labour PM ( with no credible evidence) got UK embroiled in a war with Iraq with WMD as the main cause.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, VWD said:

Forgetting , conveniently that lots of years ago a Labour PM ( with no credible evidence) got UK embroiled in a war with Iraq with WMD as the main cause.

The topic is about fines being given for breaches of COVID rules written by the people who wrote those rules. 

It's not about your grievances of a man who was last in Government and a PM in 2007.

👍

At least the 1/2 a million or so will have been spent in the UK and if it was on extra payment to police or other employees it is taxed.

For weeks of work it is a small amount compared to what HRH Charlie and missus has cost the UK Tax Payer & Canadian Tax Payers having a wee hooley, then his son and DIL gallivanting off abroad.

Many many millions will be spent this year celebrating how many years Madge has ruled over the Commonwealth.

All balls, buffets and banquettes and public holidays and extended opening times for drinking.

Totally off topic,

but policing never comes cheaply but when officers are already on a salary and a fixed amount of income the extra costs are overtime, accommodation, special payments and very likely 'special people with speciality skills' getting contracted in.  Usually already pensioned off officers that get a nice wee earner.

Is it just me or does something absolutely stink about the Met's investigation? Even the Deputy Commissioner looked like she was in a hostage situation when she gave her announcement.
Also, in The Times on 24th of April, it was reported that Johnson had been 'assured' he would only receive one fine.

Johnson has told friends that he has been assured that he will receive only one fine. Whether this is true or not, many Tories fear the most immediate danger to the prime minister will come after a bruising set of local election results on May 5.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/boris-johnsons-fate-is-on-the-line-at-the-local-elections-63m6t7tkk

According to both ITV's Robert Peston and BBC's Lewis Goodall, there's a lot of anger from junior civil servants that they have been thrown under the bus to save 'Big Dog's' skin.

The Mirror today is also reporting that Johnson would only be investigated for two of the six gatherings he was believed to have attended. 
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/partygate-police-probed-just-two-27013954?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

It seems to me there is something rotten in the barrel.

• Like 1